Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deadspot mod

Old 10-26-2007, 12:42 PM
str8wick3d
3rd Gear Member

Default deadspot mod

anyone remember the deadspot in the pedal mod? I want to try it im bored as hell...
Old 10-26-2007, 12:48 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Default RE: deadspot mod

Let me know how it goes as Im getting the itch of boredom as well.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:51 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

From tube:

Step 1:

Remove Three 10mm nuts holding gas pedal to firewall:

Step 2:

Slide back red lock tab on connector:

Step 3:

Use flat head screw driver to press tab down inside of connector, and pull connector away from gas pedal assembly:

Step 4:

Take pedal assembly over to your workbench. Remove five TORX T-15 screws on electrical cover.

Step 5:

Remove electronic cover: Notice how the circuit board says REV 1.0? That means they haven't revised this gas pedal assembly since they first used it back in 2005!!! (My car is a 2008!)

Notice the circuit board with the wedge shaped carbon tracks. Notice the shiny marks on the tracks. See how they start slightly before the end of the gold track? That is your deadspace! Any movement before the very edge of the gold track will not be registered by the ECU!!!

THE ONLY WAY to fix this is mechanical adjustment. NO amount of tuning can remove this deadspace, it's simply impossbile!

Step 6:

Look at the pedal assembly. Notice the metal tabs and fine wire brushes? These are what we want to modify.

Very carefully, bend the brushes up so that they don't have such a steep angular bend in their tips. I have already done this in these photos, so it's not apparent how sharp the bend in the wires were prior to me modifying them. They are like this _/ and you want them to be straighter so that they move closer to the edge of the brass/carbon track.

Using some fine pliers, carefully bend the tips of the wires. These are VERY fine wires, be very careful.

Now bend the entire metal tabs up very slightly to compensate for the change in angle at the tips of the wires.

More pictures of the wires:

Another shot of the circuit board:
Notice that by bending the wires, we are moving them closer to the edge of the carbon/gold seam. This removes the dead space.

Step 7:

Put the cover back onto the pedal assembly. NOTE: There is a rubber gasket that goes in the slot. MAKE SURE not to lose it, or crush it, this could cause your vehicle to accelerate uncontrolably! Screw the 5 TORX screws back in VERY CAREFULLY do not distort the cover, or you may bend the wires and cause bad ju ju.

Re-install the pedal, and enjoy your new dead space free throttle!

I am not responsible if you ruin your 50$ gas pedal assembly by breaking off the fine wires, or over bending them.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:53 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Have you done it Matt?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:15 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

nope....didnt need to, no dead space.....i tested a piece of thick tape for about a week and honeslty it didnt do much....my throttle has also just taken a tap of the gas and it jumps.....the tunes do help a little but i have no "dead space"
Old 10-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

I know I have dead space when using cruise control, but I'll need to recheck to see if I have it all the time. If so, this will give me something to do this weekend.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:18 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

And no mention of my screw mod howarmat?
No link to the original post?
Thanks....
Old 10-26-2007, 03:38 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Hehe.....here we go again....

I read that ridiculously long thread a while back. Were there any success stories aside from that one guy with the red GT? I remember one guy with a black GT had problems trying to do it.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:45 PM
User 113021
3rd Gear Member

I did it and it worked wonders. I barely touch it and I'm going now. WEEEEEE!
Old 10-26-2007, 04:49 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

Hehe.....here we go again....

I read that ridiculously long thread a while back. Were there any success stories aside from that one guy with the red GT? I remember one guy with a black GT had problems trying to do it.

tube made a list of the happy and unhappy guys that did it and the happy guys were ahead by a huge percentage.
The black GT got it finally right.
I beneficiated from that thread and my lag is gone.

Actually, that's the thread that got me in here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: deadspot mod