Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oem navi?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:21 PM
pnandy
2nd Gear Member

Default oem navi?

ok i picked up a oem ford escape indash navigation for next to nothing can i replace the saker 1000 head unit with this one has anyone done it or would i be better off puting the navi in my explorer and keeping the shaker 1000? thanks for the help in advance
Old 10-29-2007, 10:34 PM
UK PONY
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: oem navi?

I know there was a recent thread on someone putting the Mustang Navigation system in. If the Escape unit is the same then it will work.

If I see the thread again I'll try to post a link to it.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_1721001/mpage_3/key_/tm.htm
Old 10-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Particulary these:

Original: tomsa55

Well, Iam going to try and install a 2006 Ford AM/FM/CD 6 Navigation sys from an 2006 Explorer. part # 6L2T-18K931-AF. This unit made by Pioneer, uses touch screen. The unit is an OEM unit, new, bought off ebay. I will let everyone know how it goes. I suspect it will be a plug and play operation. I'll need to get gps antenna, going to use a thin flim patch type, mounted under the rearwindow masking. My stealth amatuer radio setup is great, and if I can get the pioneer oem ford unit working correctly, I should be able to use the touch screen and av input thu my car pc interface to manage both the am/fm/cd/navigation functions, and my icom 7000 transceiver. I've installed a stealth am/fm - two way comms vhf/uhf antenna that was provided by Commpro systems http://www.comprodcom.com/english/pr...sed/index.php. This system is externally identical to the oem mustang antenna, but with proper setup, I can listen to am/fm car radio, and still use the same antenna for vhf/uhf/tv monitoring or transmitting. There's not even a static blip on the fm or am radio, when I'm talking on the local vhf/uhf repeater. I plan on using a audio cutout switch, letting me select which system has priorty to speakers, and use car speakers for both system. The icom 7000 radio, antenna tuner, car pc are mounted on 1/2 inch plywood cut out hung on 3" studs below the rear package deck. So when trunk is opened, sys is nearly out of sight. You have to bend over and look at the bottom of the rear package deck, where the speakers are mounted to see the radio, antenna tuner, and car pc. I left 10" cut outs around the oem rear speakers so as to not block air movement. I've noticed no distortion in stereo sound and radio system is far enough from speakers, plus inside metal cases, so magnetic fields are not causing any intereaction btwn the two systems.

I will get some pic's posted soon.
also

I got the Ford Navigation sys installed. I ordered a gps antenna from Ford for a 2006 Freestyle, this unit fits up under the dash, I mounted the antenna using heavy duty double back sticky foam tape up under the dash on the center line about 8 inches from the back edge, that was as far as I could reach and still place it up against the bottom of the top vinal dash. System works great, but just like the shaker systems, it has to be programed with a diagnostics tool on what vehicle it's installed in. The back lights for the buttons don't work, and I get an error msg on power up, talked to the service rep at ford, they said to bring it in, that uploading my vin and build number into the unit was easy. I will be taking system apart again for the aux avi input from my icom 7000. But need to get system programed into my vehicle first. Sounds better than the shaker 500, and still plays mps cds, with built in 6 cd changer. I will be tapping the gps data out line on the sys board, but need more information on this Pioneer unit made for ford. My goal is to use it as the single point interface with my audio, gps, nav, and com's radios using the pioneer screen in aux mode to see status of transceiver's ( will be able to watch broadcast tv too)

Next mod will be putting on the gt take off's leather seat covers and installing the oem ford heated seats. I got the covers, heat pads (2 per seat), wiring harness from a 2007 ford mustang, including the oem switch panel, but after working all day geting the center consol out radio installed, I examined the wiring harness, and I'll have to dissemble center consol, remove radio and center stack, glove box, and poss instument panel just to remove the old harness. I'm thinking this is bigger job than I wanted, and might just let the shop install the seat covers and heaters, wiring them in with out using the new harness and switch panel, just aftermarket install.

Yea I'll bet some pic's uploaded too
and...

ell, I took my stang with the 2006 Ford Navigation system installed to the dealer, showed the tech the TSB on changing radios, and asked him if this applied, he told me yes. They tried to program the Ford 2006 Navigation radio into my mustang, got to the point where intering the VIN, went ok, then the production number/code, but when tried to upload and program the radio, caused an unspeicifted error. The prduction code + vin is used to program the radio to communicate with car's ecu. (car's onboard computer) But the software program used in the laptop/diagnostic tool says this is not a valid production code for this radio. Any suggestions ? I will try and email ford and ask if they would provide a valid production code that will allow the radio to be programed into this vehicle. I don't think it would be that diffucult, I'd bet the production code to authorize this vehicle / radio combination has allready been written, just not released to ford service as this was not a option for production. The ford mustang uses the same radios in production that the explorer and freestyle uses, and these vehicles come from factory with this as an option. So the correct production code has probably allready been generated, just not released yet. Any ford techs here that have an email to the proper ford contact that might release this information so as to make it available to install this radio into the mustang ? With out the proper programing into the vehicle's computer system, the buttons back lights, the auto-dimming of the screen and speed volume dont work. But the naviagation seems to work just fine, radio and cd changer work fine too. Sound's better than the shaker 500 also.

Also, would using the production codes from an explorer/navigation comb work, or would the diag sys reject programing this as it know from vin that this is a mustang not an explorer ?

So far cost's have been minimal, $374 for the navigation radio, $89 for the gps antenna ( used the one from the 2006 freestyle) and $12 for the am/fm antenna adapter (best buy). As this is an $1900 option on the 2006 explorer, I am still going to try and get this figured out. This nav radio is made by pioneer and had a very good display would make a great upgrade/mod for any of the 2005+ mustangs.

Thumbnail Image

Radio shop got back to me, will have to remove radio and send to repair depot to program to my mustangs vin, but all functions including aux inputs will be functional. only $150 :/
Old 10-30-2007, 05:30 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Anyone have a Navi radio they want to get rid of?