Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Comparison: Corsa; Borla Stinger; Loudmouth

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 04:01 PM
rjg426
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust Comparison: Corsa; Borla Stinger; Loudmouth

I've been obsessed recently with trying to get my "personal" best sounding exhaust. I've had Corsas for over a year, but they are quiet during cruising and I was looking for something more noticeable(I like to hear the exhaust a little when cruising).

So here's my own personal evaluation for my car (which has stock cats and Corsa x-pipe, the same for all the axle-backs I've tried). I also have 3.73 gears so the engine is at a higher RPM for any given speed (in the same gear) than with the stock 3.31 gears. The car is an automatic. I'm just stating these things because they have some relevance to the drone issues I'll mention.

Corsa: Their claim is true, absoutely no drone anytime. Idle is a little louder than stock. During cruising you can barely hear them unless I'm on the highway above about 70 (then they get louder above that RPM which with my gears and in OD is about 2500 or so, I don't remember exactly). At WOT, they scream (they are just as loud at WOT as the other 2 brands I tried). I loved the way they sound at WOT. The tips are slashed 4" double-wall and look good. However, I did not care for the way the mufflers hang low under the car. They are quite visible from the rear. Also, the Corsas are very heavy, I believe heavier than stock (for whatever that's worth to anybody). They are also the most expensive of the 3 I've tried. Overall, I liked them but was looking for more presence (sound) during "normal" driving.

Borla "S" type (same as FRPP Stingers): Wow, these sounded great at startup and idle. Louder than stock, and the deepest sound of the 3. They sound great during acceleration, and have a nice "burbly" sound when decelerating. These also scream at WOT. They also sound great when cruising. However, the reason I could not stand them for more than 2 days was the horrible drone between 1500-2000 RPM. Unfortunately with an automatic, this is the range it always keeps the car until you get above it (above about 60 MPH for my car). Of course, you could take off the OD, manually shift out of that range, etc. but that is not what I was after. The slashed tips are 4" on the Borlas (3.5" on FRPP) and are with rolled edges. The mufflers are small, lightweight, and hang high so the car looks great from the back. Overall, I really liked these but could not stand the drone. Probably a personal preference, plus the way my car is set up.

SLP Loudmouth: As you all know, these are muffler deletes. I tried these because other peoplehave said that they have minimal to no drone. These really growl at startup and are pretty loud and sound good during moderate acceleration, although not as deep as the Borlas. They also scream at WOT like the others. The dreaded drone is much less than the Borlas, but still exists within a narrower range (1900-2100 RPM). It seems to be tolerable though, since it's easier to drive around that smaller drone range. These also sound great when cruising, but I have not tried them on the highway yet. The slashed tips are 3.5" double-wall and obviously there are no mufflers seen hanging from the rear, so I like the clean look. I've only had these for a few days, but so far I like them. They are definitely the loudest of the 3 so they are not for those who don't want to turn heads and don't want to be noticed.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust Comparison: Corsa; Borla Stinger; Loudmouth

nice write up
Old 11-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Nice write up, that's a great way to help people find exactly what their looking for. I can add my opinions on the JBA Axle Backs. They'renot overly loud at idle or duringmoderate acceleration. Awesome sound at WOT, no Drone, unless of course you drive in too high a gear, at low speeds. When I had the Stock H-Pipe they made a nice "gurgle",when comming to a stop in gear. After I changed to the X-Pipe, the sound smoothed out and that gurgle sound is minimal.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:37 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Nice write up and although i do agree that the Stingers have drone. I would not say it is unbearable and over time it has actually gotten less. I myself have the auto trans and can easily drive around that RPM range now with the stock gears and am assuming it will be even easier once i swap to 3.73's. This however proves that we all like and can tolerate different sounds and sound levels. I drive with the OD OFF most of the time anyway unless i get onto the freeway and speeds get above 65MPH. Just a personal preference i have while driving. My wife happens to have very sensitive ears and the drone does not bother her which i was really worried about. She actually kind of likes it. As she says" It makes the car sound mean"

Richard
Old 11-01-2007, 05:58 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

I prefer lm also louder is better and goes well with x pipe too