Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any one else think this hood looks HOT!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 03:51 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: any one else think this hood looks HOT!

That looks like the same hood that is sold by Blow By Racing. There are several of them on ebay for $435.
ebay link
I think they look sharp.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:58 PM
silverbullit05
2nd Gear Member

thanks alot hawgman
Old 03-01-2005, 04:32 PM
sicride
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silverbullit05

i was looking at body kits ect and came across this functional ram hood looks some what like a 67's hood any way would the drag of the air going into the engine be worth the extra cold air going into the engine compartment? or would a good old cowl hood be better for arodynamic's and air flow the best of both worlds

You guys should realize that ram hoods and ram air effect has nothing to do with what these hoods are doing. The only point they are making with this hood is that it is an open hole from the outside to the inside. I gurantee there is little to no technology focused on how smoothly the air gets through that hole and surely they do not bring the air to the airbox. They could be ram air hoods if you managed to get the filter directly above the engine on the intake manifold (like carbeurated engines). As far as you asking about the drag and air getting into the engine: you will never notice the drag the hood makes, and if you're asking if the horsepower you would get out of it will make up for whatever drag it does make. You will not make one ounce of horsepower from this hood. Your cars are not extremely high tuned, they do not or should not overheat or run extremely hot as to where air running over the block will make a significant difference. The only benefits to this hood is style. The draw backs are drag (don't count this again it's not noticeable until you are 100% serious racer, then you would not be considering a hood unless you need room for power adders), and the fact that it is an open hole there will be MORE moisture getting in to the engine compartment in poor weather conditions. I say MORE because there will always be moisture getting in to the engine compartment and it is designed to operate with moisture in there, but like watches engines are water resistant and not water proof, it can still cause problems here and there if they get into the wrong electrical places etc. This is also something I wouldn't worry about too much but would surely consider as a more important factor than the performance increase or drag issues.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:44 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Actually, if you look here hood detail and click on the picture of the underside of the hood, you will see that there is a path from the air intake that leads to an opening above where the air filter will be
Old 03-01-2005, 05:03 PM
sicride
2nd Gear Member

You are right, I should have looked at the images first. They did manage to get the outlet by the filter which will get cooler air into the engine. I still would not bet on seeing any numerical gains (surely not on a dyno because the car is not moving) and still yet not on the road on the *** dyno. I still find it funny that they are suggesting it is RamAir which it is not. RamAir is a intake system designed to allow the motion of the car to actually force air into the manifold. It is said that RamAir vehicles such as the WS6 will actually create pressure in the manifold (boost perse) at high speeds above 90mph.

EDIT: I want you all to realize I haven't said anything about whether you should or should not buy this hood. What I want you to realize is this is a cosmetic part don't expect gains or for that matter much harm from installing this hood. If you like the looks of it (and I personally do) then buy it. Also notice the hoods seem to be made of fiberglass, this means it will crack not bend or dent, and it is likely a good few lbs lighter than the factory hood which could be considered good, but also might be a good idea to get hood pins to be sure it does not fly up in your windshield at high speeds.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:31 PM
05SatinSilver
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silverbullit05
this one claims to be a functional ram air scoop as well [:-]
Same Hood!

ORIGINAL: hawgman

That looks like the same hood that is sold by Blow By Racing. There are several of them on ebay for $435.
ebay link
I think they look sharp.
Not the same hood! The one from Blow By Racing, currently is Not Functional!
Dave...
Old 03-01-2005, 05:43 PM
05SatinSilver
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sicride

You are right, I should have looked at the images first. They did manage to get the outlet by the filter which will get cooler air into the engine. I still would not bet on seeing any numerical gains (surely not on a dyno because the car is not moving) and still yet not on the road on the *** dyno. I still find it funny that they are suggesting it is RamAir which it is not. RamAir is a intake system designed to allow the motion of the car to actually force air into the manifold. It is said that RamAir vehicles such as the WS6 will actually create pressure in the manifold (boost perse) at high speeds above 90mph.

EDIT: I want you all to realize I haven't said anything about whether you should or should not buy this hood. What I want you to realize is this is a cosmetic part don't expect gains or for that matter much harm from installing this hood. If you like the looks of it (and I personally do) then buy it. Also notice the hoods seem to be made of fiberglass, this means it will crack not bend or dent, and it is likely a good few lbs lighter than the factory hood which could be considered good, but also might be a good idea to get hood pins to be sure it does not fly up in your windshield at high speeds.
Well, I beleive it is a Ram Air hood. It looks like it was designed for you to just remove the stock airbox cover! If this creates a nice tight fit, then it will be Ram Air (cooler outside air) going into the throttle-body. Not sure how much HP gains you'll get though? Also, if you read the link I provided above, the guy who has one says 'It's made of fiberglass, but weights more than the stock hood'. Don't forget, our hoods are light weight aluminum. I would also agreed on the Hood Pins!

Dave...
Old 03-01-2005, 06:40 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Functional or non functional
HP gains or not
Fiberglass or metal
Lighter or heavier

Who cares. Bottom line, that is one sharp lookin' hood!!! Yea, I know, chrome don't get ya home. But still...
Old 03-01-2005, 07:01 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

I don't really like that hood. I saw that CDC is making shaker hoods for the '05 with the functional scoop like the Mach 1 and that looked really good.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:52 AM
sicride
2nd Gear Member

exactly my point hawg.. beautiful hood, if you like it get it.. the fiberglass was just a precaution/warning. pointing out the negatives incase someone didn't consider them.

Quick Reply: any one else think this hood looks HOT!