Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do tinted windows draw unwanted attention from law enforcement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 04:06 PM
navyscott
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Do tinted windows draw unwanted attention from law enforcement?

I have (legal-where-I-live) 50% all the way around. I have gotten ZERO problems before or after the tint, and that is what was formerly known as "Murderapolis". With 50% you can still see in the car fine, even at night. I popped for the top of the line Llumar when I got it tinted so even with 50% the sun is no big deal. I guess the points here are:
1. Is it for form or function
2. Is it legal where you live? If not then you are begging for trouble.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:28 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Dont tint below the AS1 line on the windshield and you should be OK.
Tint below the AS1 line on the windshield really pisses them off around
here.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:28 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Then why is it legal to have the back windows tinted.??.. hell.. you can spray them black in most states.

As an officer.. if you approach someone's car.. and they have the front windows up with 5% tint.. you'd be a fool to walk up and tap on the window.

Whenever I have been pulled over, I just roll down the window. They know it's tinted (other side up).. but have no reason to be threatened.

ORIGINAL: Dennis074.0

Yes it will, it gives us a reason to pull you over.
in NYC a Police Officer was killed this year doing a car stop and the car had an illegal tint, and the officer couldnt see inside. What he didnt notice was the perp loading his gun, and getting ready to shoot. Now whenever we see a car with a dark tint, we make sure to tag them. We try to prevent illegal tints from roaming around NYC.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:34 PM
oshkoshbajawsh
I ♥ Acer

i had limo tint for 3 years in minnesota, got 1 tint ticket, only after i was already pulled over for speeding
Old 11-06-2007, 04:35 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

It is illegal because they have no view of the driver or passenger.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:44 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

where i live it is legal to have 35%, and i have 10% sides and back. the only cops that will bother is the rookies and we all know where they patrol, so i either avoid the area or roll my windows down when i'm there. but i got it tinted bc my car is black and it helps preserve the leather interior.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Rustan

I take it by your name you are in Stl, as am I. It will draw more attention to your car but in MO it is legal to go 35% (+/-3% for meter error etc) on the sides,as dark as you want on the back, and none on the front below the AS1 line. Theymay pull you over under suspision but they can't ticket you as long as you are within the limits. I have never beenpulled over for justtint, no front plate yes . I had 35% on my old Cobra and I metered at 32% due to slight factory tinting and got a ticket but I just emailed the prosecuting attorney and stated the law to them and they dropped it no problem. Also, I ALWAYS roll bothmy windows down too when I get pulled over so that theofficer can feel safeand see what is going on in the cabin, but that is a double edged sword as they then think you are trying to hide your tint and will for sure then meter you, oh well I keep it legal.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Yup. Though I have not been pulled over with tis car, I got a ticket in the past with another car.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Stangiac

I agree, it differs from place to place. Here in Ontario, Canada, I believe it is up to the discretion of the cop. I asked one and he said that if he can't see your eyes and particularly your hands, then he will fine U. I'm not sure if it's a fix-it kinda ticket,or something that hits your record.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: prplhze05GT

here in ca. its illegal. i did my windows a couple of months ago and about a month later my wife got stopped here in the little down we live in. she didnt get a ticket but the officer said "i see you all the time so next time i see you......" so i took it off. it looked really cool though.
Well...Technically, according to the 2007 California Vehicle Code, Division 12, Chapter 4, Section 26708 states:

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.
[/align]Amended Sec. 77, Ch. 1154, Stats. 1996. Effective September 30, 1996.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 476, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999.[/align][/align]This is open to interpretation, but from theinformation provided, it looks like you CAN have tint, provided itallows 88% of visible light to shine through, and that it blocks UV-A rays. Unfortunately,88% visible light allowance is really not much tint at all, so if you've got tint on your windows in California, be prepared to be stopped...[/align]

Quick Reply: Do tinted windows draw unwanted attention from law enforcement?