Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do I have a two-piece driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 10:49 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Why do I have a two-piece driveshaft?

How much does the spydershaft 1 piece drive shaft cost? What hp gains if any does it give out. Or does it just lower the cars weight?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:49 PM
06tyrfryr
2nd Gear Member

that is the driveshaft I am using and so far is holding up great. I dont think I would trust the stock shaft to a 175 shot of juice
Old 11-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stang Skeleton

They do these things for a few reasons. Having that heavy 2 piece driveshaft is in reality, more reliable than a one piece aluminum. Though it may not seem apparent for the first 15 years, it is the case. The 2 piece driveshaft is likely used on other models and was used on older models as well and thus is more economically efficient to supply than going through the hastle of research and development of a completely new piece. Also, steel is generally less expensive than aluminum in auto manufacturing/industrial level. And then ofcourse there is the average consumer that the marketing is intended for; believe it or not, a mojority of people that buy mustangs are not nearly so performance oriented as to even bother with the consideration of a superior driveshaft as opposed the comfortability, reliability, and drivability. JMO though.
That wouldn't surprise me in the least...I thought I'd read something about the 2 pc driveshaft originally being designed for the Ford Ranger, and that they did the 2 pc to give it more travel/clearance on the drivetrain, and I'd not doubt that some bean counter said, "Let's save money and use the driveshaft on the Mustang!"
Old 11-06-2007, 10:53 PM
06tyrfryr
2nd Gear Member

I think with shipping it is 479 plus shipping and weighs only 16 lbs verses the 47 lbs of the stock driveshaft. It actually allows you to transfer more hp to the rear wheels because of the rotational weight being much less. I saw a gain in my 60' time from 1.86 down to 1.81 after installing the shaft
Old 11-06-2007, 11:08 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

The 2 piecer hides the vibration and noisy rear 8.8 we have.....many people who have put on the 1 piece shaft experience increased rear end gear whine/noise but loose the clunkiness that comes with the 2 piecer.....many have vibrations which the 2 piece design also hides....
Old 11-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: luckydawg003

How much does the spydershaft 1 piece drive shaft cost? What hp gains if any does it give out. Or does it just lower the cars weight?
Cost: $579 + Shipping
http://www.leonardracingproducts.com/drive01.php

Takes about 20 lbs off the weight of the car and adds generally ~15 RWHP. I hope I have a job long enough to save up for one.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:15 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stang Skeleton

They do these things for a few reasons. Having that heavy 2 piece driveshaft is in reality, more reliable than a one piece aluminum. Though it may not seem apparent for the first 15 years, it is the case. The 2 piece driveshaft is likely used on other models and was used on older models as well and thus is more economically efficient to supply than going through the hastle of research and development of a completely new piece. Also, steel is generally less expensive than aluminum in auto manufacturing/industrial level. And then ofcourse there is the average consumer that the marketing is intended for; believe it or not, a mojority of people that buy mustangs are not nearly so performance oriented as to even bother with the consideration of a superior driveshaft as opposed the comfortability, reliability, and drivability. JMO though.
yeah right if you told half the mustang owners out there they had a two piece drive shaft they would be like OMG I need to go buy a one piece
Old 11-07-2007, 12:43 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Actually....

The two-piece is a great design. Its meant to provide dampening for the transmission and rearend. The 2-piece design is good enough for this, but on top of that they made it very heavy to help out with dampening vibrations to save the life of other components. Its much like why the underdrive pulleys are so heavy... To dampen the crankshaft. The stock driveshaft is actually designed perfect for the target crowd: young thirty-ish professional males and soccer moms. The stock shaft will prolong the tranny and rearend life so non-modders, like soccer moms, can enjoy their car for a long time without tranny or rearend problems.

Its overkill though. If you buy a one piece your tranny won't die or your rearend shake to pieces.

But theres another reason... Rotational mass. This mustang has a lot of power for the target crowd, again, soccer moms and young professional adults. The problem with having too much power is they don't know how much to hit the gas, or how much to let off of it. By having a heavier driveshaft you can increase the weight of the rotational mass and increase the 'rolling' of the speed so when susie has dropped betty off at soccer practice she can drive home and not notice as much when she takes her foot off the gas because the car will still roll at a fairly even speed.

If the shaft were lighter then susie would find her car jerking downwards and forward when she let off the gas and losing speed much quicker. Out of fear she would slam on the gas and shoot forward instantly, killing tom and his estranged wife riding in front of her in his Miata.

The heavy driveshaft is meant to make the speeds much more equal, safe and smoothwhen slamming on and letting off of the gas.

So there ya have it. The two piece is a GREAT design - but completely worthless to modders and enthusiasts who, as we know by now, are NOT the target audience.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:49 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I switched to the spydershaft and I have a theory on why ford went with the two piece. I noticed after installing the spydershaft that every time i go over a bump with my rear wheels, the impact can be felt in the shifter. I never felt this before the swap because the impact was absorbed where the joint between the two stock driveshafts mounted to the car (in the driveshaft tunnel). I don't mind the feeling of the shifter bouncing a bit with the bumps in the road though, because my ET dropped 1.5 tenths after the swap.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:16 AM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06tyrfryr

I cant imagine that the driveshaft it comes with is less exspensive to build than the aluminum one that I have which is apparently already a tried tested and used driveshaft out of a ranger that has been shortened. less rotating mass is also better for fuel economy and quicker ets would give them better bragging rights for pushing the mustang and the one piece driveshaft dont have the vibration the 2 piece did, so I think my theory of lowering the center of gravity makes more sense
Though it may be contrary to your thoughts, it is still fact. Here is just an example of the difference in cost of aluminum vs steel in the automotive industry.
Aluminum at $1.52/LB
Steel at $0.38/LB

http://www.ussautomotive.com/auto/steelvsal/hood.htm So yes, the ford factory mustang DS is more economically efficient for ford to produce.

How exactly does the 2 piece steel DS vs 1 Piece aluminum DS cause a significant difference in the center of gravity again? Anyway, There are alot of engineering variables that come into play when switching a model specific DS from one vehicle into another. In some cases such as that of the ranger, it may work by shortening etc, BUT it must be precise and accurate in dimensions along with a properly balanced mass distribution. If the DS is slightly longer or shorter than is necessary it will cause problems due to dynamic force application under moving conditions. Simply put, when you step on the gas and floor it, you're car flexes resulting in direct compression of the DS with all the weight transfer towards the rear at that time. Same holds for the DS in tension. All the force put on the driveshaft in the direction of the axial loading while it spins at high revolution speeds can easily yield problems. Therefore it is crucial for the measurements and implementations of such to be highly accurate.

Finally the use of certain materials over others for overall application must be considered in terms of marketing as well as engineering and reliability. As it was mentioned here earlier, the target crowd of the vehicle may include but is certainly NOT limited to performance enthusiasts. The use of a material such as steel as opposed to aluminum may be due to the properties of the metal itself. Steel may be able to absorb more energy (sound/vibration) than aluminum, thus concealing or absorbing the drivetrain imperfections and increasing overall reliability by reducing stress on other components. And though it may weigh more, that would be a small consequence when considering the overall marketing that ford intends to establish.

Quick Reply: Why do I have a two-piece driveshaft?