Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front & Rear guardrail Mod.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Default Front & Rear guardrail Mod.

Ive read other posts on people wrecking their cars and most have contributed to driver error, which i know is why this happened. I was going 55 on the highway in rushour, rain/sleeting, the first 30 degree weather of the year. Im 19, almost have the car paid off, first rearwheel and 5 speed car( the 71 doesnt count as i only ran it on nice days) And i obviously have a lack of skill driving in the rain. Ive only driven it in the rain 15-20 times as ive only put 5000 miles on it). Anyways, going 55 mid lane on the highway, downshift to fouth( first error) then accelerated to go into the slow lane, andwhen i hit the gas, it broke loose, i over corrected and spun into the emergency lane, and then the guardrail and hit about about 15-20 in reverse. It broke loose so easily, i liked the idea of 275's rear tires, except they are SUMMER ONLY and not for rain/winter and with conditons bad, to much gas, i just screwed it up when it spun, i let off and jabbed the brakes( probaby another problem) but i was afraid of going into other traffic. the car took the beating and i am fine, just a little ticked that i did this. My parents wernt mad because, after all, i paid for the car. Just a learning experience and i will always drive this car like a granny in the rain from now on. Ive messed around with rwd and rain at lower speeds but never trying to recover from this fast. The esitmate was 4k$ with replacing front and rear bumper covers, front fender, lights, pulling the rear qtr( said it cant be replaced as it is one full section) and the a full spray of the drivers side. Im lucky i didnt SC and still ahev that 4000$ put away for a rainy day and belive me it was raining. Insurance will cover all but the 500$ deductible and now my mod idea's have changed, just a few HP parts and some handling/ new rims/tires and fucntional stuff, like hood struts and LCA's Anyways, my story of my first wrecked car and i cant wait to have it back in 10 days( after they fix it) so i can drive the crap of it on the few nice days we have left and mod it over the winter! All in all im not really ticked, i still actually laugh about it, thank god i have insurance and that it was only going 55 and not 145( i dont do that in the rain)-Jon

btw, the dmg is mosty cosmetic on the panels from rubbing/denting, but the back bend it a bit and not much frame dmg from what i see
Old 11-10-2007, 02:10 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

Default RE: Front & Rear guardrail Mod.

that sucks man, sorry to hear about that.i'm sure you'll have it up and running in no time.

PS- lose the white stripe thing
Old 11-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

hell no man! They asked me if they wanted to paint over that when they redid it and i told them to leave the hood alone! Its a 1 of a kind look that i like and from the frint ot loosk great( atleast to me) and the pictures are crappy cause my dad took them, but i have to give him credit, he gives me support and is helping me out with this thing and the insurance company since i work 60+ hours a week -Jon
Old 11-10-2007, 02:42 PM
crazyemi
1st Gear Member

Wow, you really got lucky...did you say that you hit that guardrail going 55? If so, then you were definitely lucky. Here's what I did to my first Stang (And I paid for it too, so I know how you feel) when I crashed it into a guardrail at 55.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:47 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

should buff right out!
Old 11-10-2007, 02:50 PM
PEPS GT 2

Glad your okay. Could of been worse. I hit a guardrail on my motorcycle back in '06. I wasn't so lucky.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48931/0F685E344EFB40B4880F70300E5BBF0D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

i was moving 55 when i spun, jabbed the brakes and did 15-20 while backwards into it, im not proud of it, just lucky i slammed on the brakes, ive heard( LET OFF) but there was no way, thay would have just made me carry more speed into the guard rail or the cars next to me -Jon
Old 11-10-2007, 02:57 PM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

This is one mod I do not like[&o]Sorry to see your car so racked up, but it is refreshing that you are 19 and your dad did not buy it for you. Hard work is the way to go. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:00 PM
crazyemi
1st Gear Member

wow, you're still definitely lucky. I'm glad to hear that you're okay.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:08 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

the car can be fixed, hope it's back
on the road soon

Quick Reply: Front & Rear guardrail Mod.