Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearcoat on the windshield

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 03:39 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Clearcoat on the windshield

Is it a coat of clear? Or just overspray. 000 Steel wool with take off overspray a glass ...
Old 11-11-2007, 04:51 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

Laquer thinner will take it off. No biggy.
GidyupGo is right or just take back to shop and let them do it...
Old 11-11-2007, 05:27 PM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

Take it back and make them fix it.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Supercruzin
2nd Gear Member

What Giddyup said, will take you about 10 min to get it off with a little rubbing with a shop rag. Or take the time to go back to the body shop, and let them use the same thing to remove it.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:40 PM
ArcticFrog
2nd Gear Member

Thx for the advice everybody. I don't mind doing it myself like I said but I don't have any laquer thinner. I'll probably just swing back over to the body shop tomorrow to let them swipe it off and that way they'll also know they screwed up somewhere so hopefully can take steps to avoid it again on someone else's car.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:55 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ArcticFrog

Thx for the advice everybody. I don't mind doing it myself like I said but I don't have any laquer thinner. I'll probably just swing back over to the body shop tomorrow to let them swipe it off and that way they'll also know they screwed up somewhere so hopefully can take steps to avoid it again on someone else's car.

I took a 67 Coupe in for a spray once and the tires were so crappy, I had to put my good new ones on along with the new rims I had bought for them. Overspray was freaking bad. I was wiping paint off of chrome, tires, wheels, glass....you name it. Auto parts store sell it by the pint. It will take off new paint slick as long as it hasn't cured out.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:11 PM
ArcticFrog
2nd Gear Member

And the winnah for removal suggestions is......dmhines with 000 steel wool!

I took the car back to the body shop today. They told me it wasn't actually clearcoat but spray mask of some sort that they use. The guy grabbed some 000 steel wool and lightly ran it over the windshield...wa la...all of it was gone. Took like 30 seconds. And he gave me a chunk of the steel wool in case I find a bit that he missed. Plus he ran his fingers down my car and said 'beautfiul car' so I gotta give them props ha
Old 11-12-2007, 03:12 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Glad it worked out and you did the correct thing taking it back that way if there was a screw up it was on them, BTW the car looks good and congrats.

I took the car back to the body shop today. They told me it wasn't actually clearcoat but spray mask of some sort that they use. The guy grabbed some 000 steel wool and lightly ran it over the windshield...wa la...all of it was gone. Took like 30 seconds. And he gave me a chunk of the steel wool in case I find a bit that he missed. Plus he ran his fingers down my car and said 'beautfiul car' so I gotta give them props ha
Old 11-12-2007, 06:04 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Just so you know...
Don't get carried away with steel whool, the residu that comes off will rust real quick and get embeded in your paint, if it gets there.
Did the shop air blowed the windshield afterwards?

I use that stuff (#0000) a lot on chrome. Classic cars bumpers/trim and chrome wheels. I always use the airblower when I'm done.
For the wheels, you don't have to.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:16 PM
ArcticFrog
2nd Gear Member

Nope they didn't air blow it. I drove it home right after though. I'll go wipe down the car though just to make sure. Since I can't clay it for so long I'd hateany residueto get embedded into the paint, yuck!

Thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: Clearcoat on the windshield