Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone gone turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 01:42 AM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

Default Anyone gone turbo?

I see a new supercharger thread on here every few hours but none realy about turbos... why is that? I know that superchargers are the "in" thing for muscle cars but turbos give you better drag times. I am interested in what types of turbos yall got installed if anyone out there does and what kinda numbers your running.

I wanna go turbo in the next few months so give me ideas!
Old 11-14-2007, 04:30 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone gone turbo?

There aren't as many of us that have gone the turbo route. It seems to be a little more expensive than S/C's and more complicated than most can handle.

There are some popular kits out there, HP, Powerhouse, Hellion, Turbonetics and STS. I'm sure there are a few more. I have the STS kit and love it. I've only had it around a month and I haven't had time to get it dynoed. If weather is good on Friday I plan on getting it done along with some pics for STS. It's supposed to be raining so..

I did alot of reading and researching and asking different people.. You will find everyone thinks there's is the best because it's what they have. I basically came to two choices. Whipple HO or Turbo.

I choose turbo for a few reasons and STS specifically because I have seen good profesional installations done on the sytems and good numbers from PSI's that are a little lower than an S/C. I like having the ability to drive around with a "low" boost setting. Even the low setting is scary at times. Then when i need it, I can turn up the boost. Turbos are different than what most others choose, sound very distinctive and are very efficent.

To each there own. If you can't find a path to follow, create your own and make it happen.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:53 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

I'll be getting a Turbo here soon ... doing my research now as well. PM Dex ... he has the STS
Old 11-14-2007, 05:17 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

I was supercharged (Procharger) until a few weeks ago. I have the Powerhouse Garrettturbo.It maxes out at 20 lbs, but I have it set on the minimum 11 lb spring. I won't touch the boost controller or push the car until the new block is installed...so I can't really make a comparison. In fact, I'll never be able to compare the two, as so much else has been changed on the car in addition to going turbo. It promises big power and I do expect 650+ rear wheel torque in conjunction with the race tranny. It will be at least 2 months before I can record the results.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:46 AM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

I had just always assumed that SC's give you more power faster, and that they were cheaper and more reliable.

Am I wrong?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:09 AM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

STS... I Have heard good things about them from a few other people... I assume you are enjoying yours? I was down to the KB or the Whipple when I decided that I could get faster times at the track with a turbo no matter what if I didnt mind putting the extra mulah into it.

Oh and forensic... I gota get with you dude you are basically doing what I am planning and are farther ahead. Where are you in Louisiana btw? I am transfering to Pensacola in January and if you got a headsup on a good shop out there that does "premium" engine work I would apriciate that

Heres what I have planned...

Livernois 4.6L Stroker Full Longblock Assembly
Accel DFI Gen VII Fuel Injection System w/60lb injectors
Meth Injection Kit
8.8 Rear End with a Detroit Locker
Griggs Racing GR40 Ultimate Street Performance Complete Suspension System

The 2 things I am unsure of are the transmission and the turbo.
1. I want to go with a built 6speed that will be able to handle this speed so I can have the 2 overdrives for highway driving
2. The turbo... of course its all up to debate still
Old 11-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

Oh one other thing is what are the benefits and bad things about single and twin turbo? I understand that you can run twins sequensialy (sp) and that can reduce lag but what are the best settups for the track... keep that in mind during this whole discussion that I am basically interested in the track and the track alone.

I am looking for 10s and I want to be running at least 700rwhp so thats also important with tips here.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:56 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Morning Ortoch

I'm about 50 minutes west of New Orleans
Go to http://www.fbperformance.com/viewtra...nsmissionID=76
to view details on the transmission. It has electronic overdrive, lock up and the transbrake.My commute to workis only 1.6 miles and just by blind luck is going to be 0.7 miles after December, otherwise I might think twice about using it daily on the street. The cage, loss of sound insulation, race transmission etc don't make the car that user-friendly anymore as a street vehicle.

There are others that post that haveway more experience and knowledge than I. I'm just learning as I go and making my fair share of mistakes and discoveries along the way.

Livernois has a great reputation as do so many others. I went with aMMR stroker block rated at 950 rwhp. I also went with stage II cams to get about 7300 rpms. Stage III are too lumpy and possibly problematic for street use.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:13 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

There is no doubt for ultimate track performance a turbo set-up is better suited, but none of you guys are going for 'ultimate track times'.

If you want to be deep in the 10's and that's your goal (it should be for most cause once you hit 9.99 - the requiremnts on the car practically kill it for a street car anymore) than a TS blower is the best choice IMO.

I drive my car everyday and I am in the high 9's. Granted my car is pretty unique but there are several TS guys From Adam's (ST Motosports) shop with 10 sec daily drivers.

I only know of 2 S197 turbo cars that can run the numbers I do and neither of them can daily drive their car like I do with big power...

Personally, I wouldn't consider a turbo set-up unless I wanted a trailer car for 8's or better.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

There is no doubt for ultimate track performance a turbo set-up is better suited, but none of you guys are going for 'ultimate track times'.

If you want to be deep in the 10's and that's your goal (it should be for most cause once you hit 9.99 - the requiremnts on the car practically kill it for a street car anymore) than a TS blower is the best choice IMO.

I drive my car everyday and I am in the high 9's. Granted my car is pretty unique but there are several TS guys From Adam's (ST Motosports) shop with 10 sec daily drivers.

I only know of 2 S197 turbo cars that can run the numbers I do and neither of them can daily drive their car like I do with big power...

Personally, I wouldn't consider a turbo set-up unless I wanted a trailer car for 8's or better.
I want to be dipping into the 9s when I am done and I hear the turbo will allow for more past that point without investing huge amounts of money into weight loss and dangerous PSI levels into the SC.

My main question here is if I want to have a car dipping into the 9s that is still drivable for on the street (I have a F-150 that I will drive as a DD with a hitch if I need to get trailer eventually) but not my main car what is best for me the SC or the Turbo? I need more opinions here even though fordfanboy's opinons hold some weight with his backround.

Quick Reply: Anyone gone turbo?