Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trashy???

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Tarman

Default Trashy???

Hey guys! New guy on here and I'm dealing with a bit of an issue. I come from the North Shore of Massachusetts and around here there is a bit of a stigma around Mustangs, well at least with the people I hang out with. In this area, like anywhere else I'm sure, it is not uncommon to see mustangs of all generations on the road. For some reason though the ones that stand out do so for the wrong reasons. There are countless older models, half modded and in horrible shape booming down the streets and unfortunately many of the people I know have associated Mustangs with the scumbags that drive the beat up rust-buckets in this area. Honestly it all comes down to stereotyping, bla, bla bla... We all learned about that in grade school so we can leave it at that. Now, I on the other hand know that within each genre of car fans there are, well, idiots. It's these idiots that that ruin the reputation of those cars. Look for example the lowly Honda Civic. In essence its a great car for what it is. It's an economy car! It's very fuel efficient and sits quite high in it's class. It CLEARLY isn't a drag car, a "drifter", or anything at all pertaining to power and performance. Never the less a certain subculture has tried (and failed horribly) to make these cars what they are not, and thus these cars are frowned upon, being called "rice", e.t.c. That is what has happened in my area with the Mustang. Trashy.

To me this is great. All of my friends drive boosted Audi's and Volkswagons and would never consider getting a ride to the post office in a Mustang. That's why I'm so stoked on getting one and showing them that the stereotype is dead false. These guys have dumped thousands into their turbo set ups and their custom OBD programs. GET THIS! Here's a good one for a laugh. I have a good friend with a 2001 Jetta. He is running staggered wheels on it. 17x8 in the front ans 17x9.5 in the rear... IT'S A FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CAR!!! I am thrilled to be able to drive off the lot, completely stock and smoke them. Not to mention prove that with half a brain anyone can turn the car from damn good looking to INCREDIBLE.

Now... If I can only get my wife to support me I'll be all set. She wants me to get the new Mercedes C class... Yeah right, and monkeys may fly out of my butt too!!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:29 AM
blkv6
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Trashy???

haha keep the mustang spirit alive. i have a friend that hated mustangs to death and he went to test drive a 03 cobra and ended up loving it and bought it. theres always someone to ruin the spirit of any car on the street. just do what you can to bring back the mustang spirit.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Sooooo, what's the question? Who's paying for the car, you or your wife? And who will be the driver? Damn, take the skirt off, will ya'? LOL! The S197 Stang is a classic in it's own right. I'm sure the "residents" will look at your Stang in a different light than the "trash".

And here, from the title, I thought you were talkin' about one of my ex g/f's...
Old 11-14-2007, 09:46 AM
rehtorb
1st Gear Member

Hey we are all guilty of stereo typing at some point. When I was in high school I knew this kid and his grand parents bought him a 98 cobra. The car was beautiful but he was a real jack a$$. So a lot of people including myself just took the stance of screw him and his mustang. Nine years later I’m in the market for a new car so I test drove a GT just for the heck of it. Blind hate turned into blind love with the turn of a key. Since then I’ve meet a ton of awesome mustang owners.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:40 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

huh?? Mustang is a classic American muscle car. C-class is entry-level luxury car for all the would-be P-Diddy's of the world. Apples and oranges, my friend. You want to impress your import driving friends with a dime-a-dozen car, get the C.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Tarman

No, I wouldn't even consider the C, I'm not rich and I don't pretend to be. Besides, who wants to drive around in the lowest model a manufacturer makes? Not me. I want a car with some *****. She thinks it's classy... Whatever, it's the driver that makes the car classy. The thing is Nuke, my wife and I agree on 99.99 % of stuff. This is that .01%. It's just funny cuz I always end up being right. Then I can go "HA!!!" And 300GT, it's not about impressing my friends, but more about me not caring what they are into and not trying to jump all over everyone's nuts like they seem to do. I guess the whole post was just to say that despite what some people think, the stang is an insane car and I'm beyond psyched to get one this spring. If I end up altering a few people's oppinions on the car in the process that will just be a bonus.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:24 AM
KUcurt
1st Gear Member

We get a lot of that sterotyped B.S. here in Johnson County, Kansas. Wealthy area: Mission Hills, Leawood, Overland Park. A common sight to see high-end Mercedes, BMWs, Ferraris, a few Lambos, plenty of Hummers, etc. Most of these folks just lease them - trying to put on a facade of wealth and "high class". Yuppie, upwardly-mobile type folks out here. When i drive my new GT, I am always proud that I have stuck to my guns and stayed with what is important to me. I'm not putting on an air for anyone. My wife and I do well, but any of the other cars just aren't me, so why change to suit some phony?\\Enjoy your 'Stang and don't give a cr*p about what the other's hang ups are.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Ataboy, Tarman! I was just teasing about the skirt as I can tell you knew... Show your wife the forum and... no, wait, THAT could be a BAD idea... LOL!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:35 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Maybe we should schedule a cruise up there next Spring or Summer just to show off a little bit.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:54 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: KUcurt

We get a lot of that sterotyped B.S. here in Johnson County, Kansas. Wealthy area: Mission Hills, Leawood, Overland Park. A common sight to see high-end Mercedes, BMWs, Ferraris, a few Lambos, plenty of Hummers, etc. Most of these folks just lease them - trying to put on a facade of wealth and "high class". Yuppie, upwardly-mobile type folks out here. When i drive my new GT, I am always proud that I have stuck to my guns and stayed with what is important to me. I'm not putting on an air for anyone. My wife and I do well, but any of the other cars just aren't me, so why change to suit some phony?\\Enjoy your 'Stang and don't give a cr*p about what the other's hang ups are.
Well said. Those who know me personally, know that I sold my 03' Porsche Carrera Cabrio in 05' when I bought my stang. I have never once regretted or had second thoughts about my decision. I have always afforded myself only one 'fun' car at a time and I honestly don't know when the 'next' one will be. I usually have my 'fun' car for about 2 years and then try something else but I have no intentions of ever selling my stang as of now...

Quick Reply: Trashy???