Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brenspeed vs. "local" tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Brenspeed vs. "local" tune

Robert, I understand your wanting the tune right away, as per your last sentence. But in my opinion, waiting a week (average) for a Brenspeed tune, will pay dividends. I had three Tunes in my car before, the Brenspeed Tune.............Trust me it's worth the wait.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Wazoo151

I have been talking with Houston Performance on 249 and Slater's in Humble. I tried to go by Houston Performance during lunch, but couldn't find the place! I'll PM you and get your input...[/align][/align]Robert[/align][/align]
Old 11-16-2007, 03:07 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

I swear by Fastlane: http://www.fastlaneincorporated.com/

A canned tune is good, but nothing beats an experienced tuner on your individual car on a dyno.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:00 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 300GT

ORIGINAL: Wazoo151

Hey all,[/align][/align]There are a couple of dealers here in Houston that stock CAIs and tuners for our cars, and there's one that's very close to where I work. They carry the C&L "racer" CAI (I believe this is the only one either shop has in stock) plus XCAL2 for about what Brenspeed charges for the same setup. My question is, what is the difference between a local performance shop non-dyno tune and the Brenspeed (or Bama, or whomever) tune? I understand that people love their Bama and Bren tunes but do you think there will be much difference between what the "local shop" can offer? The immediate gratification bug is a strong one.[/align][/align]Robert[/align][/align]
how did they develop their tunes without a dyno?

From what I understand, at least with Brenspeed, is they performed a dyno tune with the parts on their car, and this roughly gets you a good mail order tune. But it seems these cars have their own personality, therefore a dyno tune on your own car is best. But if you don't have a good shop around to tune, Brenspeed seems to be as close as you can get to a good tune without the dyno.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:05 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

A dyno is the best route but Bren and Bama are a good alternative
Old 11-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

If they're anything like what JBA Performance is out here in San Diego, I'd put the money towards a Brenspeed or B AMA tune. JBA tells me that I can buy a CAI/SCT tuner, but they have told me that the tunes are canned from SCT...And, it's within a couple bucks difference from the 2 really reputable tuners here. Sorry, but I'm not going to buy it from JBA when I just get a canned tune. They DID tell me that they could do a dyno tune, but it would be an additional fee over and above what the cost of the tuner/CAI is. Hmm...Nah, I'll go with the combo from either Bren or B AMA.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

+1

ORIGINAL: DeStonn

A dyno is the best route but Bren and Bama are a good alternative
Old 11-16-2007, 04:59 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

I f you can have it phisically dyno'd, go that rout, if not Id go with Doug @ B AMA since he has proved himself to me and many other guys here just as Bresnspeed has. Id bed your local shops tunes are the generic tunes that SCT have placed in their units. But you definitely have to do this mod as it wakes up the demon sleeping in your car.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Wazoo151

A lot of great opinions and advice, guys! I am itching to pull the trigger on this, as I have heard so many good things about the CAI/tune really livening up the car and improving throttle response. [/align][/align]Robert[/align][/align]
Old 11-17-2007, 01:18 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wazoo151

A lot of great opinions and advice, guys! I am itching to pull the trigger on this, as I have heard so many good things about the CAI/tune really livening up the car and improving throttle response. [/align][/align]Robert[/align][/align]
Yup, the bottom line is no matter which way you go, you'll be driving a different car after it's done.

Quick Reply: Brenspeed vs. "local" tune