Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brenspeed vs. "local" tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Wazoo151

Default Brenspeed vs. "local" tune

Hey all,[/align][/align]There are a couple of dealers here in Houston that stock CAIs and tuners for our cars, and there's one that's very close to where I work. They carry the C&L "racer" CAI (I believe this is the only one either shop has in stock) plus XCAL2 for about what Brenspeed charges for the same setup. My question is, what is the difference between a local performance shop non-dyno tune and the Brenspeed (or Bama, or whomever) tune? I understand that people love their Bama and Bren tunes but do you think there will be much difference between what the "local shop" can offer? The immediate gratification bug is a strong one.[/align][/align]Robert[/align][/align]
Old 11-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Brenspeed vs. "local" tune

Well for starters who knows what your local shop can do with their tunes?? Brenspeed and B AMA have proven themselves time & time again with other members here on the boards ( I use Dyno by the way). If the cost is the roughly the same then I would go with who is reputable BUT if you're adamant in trying your local shop then try it -- heck they may be just as good...[8D]
Old 11-16-2007, 09:47 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

I would try asking around about them
Old 11-16-2007, 09:49 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wazoo151

Hey all,[/align][/align]There are a couple of dealers here in Houston that stock CAIs and tuners for our cars, and there's one that's very close to where I work. They carry the C&L "racer" CAI (I believe this is the only one either shop has in stock) plus XCAL2 for about what Brenspeed charges for the same setup. My question is, what is the difference between a local performance shop non-dyno tune and the Brenspeed (or Bama, or whomever) tune? I understand that people love their Bama and Bren tunes but do you think there will be much difference between what the "local shop" can offer? The immediate gratification bug is a strong one.[/align][/align]Robert[/align][/align]
how did they develop their tunes without a dyno?
Old 11-16-2007, 09:50 AM
FenderParrothead
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I'd agree withMoses. Your local shop may be outstanding, but the thing is, you really don't know. Whereas you'll have numerous people on this forum who have used Bama / Brenspeed and will vouch for them. I'd go with one of them over your local shop for that reason alone.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Wazoo151

ORIGINAL: 300GT

how did they develop their tunes without a dyno?
[/align][/align]I am not sure, to tell you the truth. I talked to two local shops, one of whom quoted a "dyno tune" and one specifically mentioned "not on the dyno." I suspect that they developed a baseline tune on a dyno with other cars and would use that one, which scares me a bit. Does the XCAL come with some sort of tune included? That may be what they're selling. The shop that quoted the dyno tune was $300 more for that service. Hope this helps.[/align][/align]Robert[/align][/align]
Old 11-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Wazoo151

...Since they're so close I think I'll go talk to them at lunch to see how they developed their tune, then decide from there.[/align][/align]Robert[/align][/align]
Old 11-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

If they are reputable tuners for Mustangs I would say go for it. If you can afford the extra money go with a dyno tune. You can't go wrong with Brenspeed or B a m a chips though...
Old 11-16-2007, 12:52 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

My guess is that the tunes in the tuner are just the canned tunes from SCT....so i would choose Bama over that anyday
Old 11-16-2007, 01:07 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Which shop in Houston have you been talking to? I have used a couple and perhaps I can give you some advice.

PM me if your interested.

Quick Reply: Brenspeed vs. "local" tune