Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The problem with posers is ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 10:35 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Default The problem with posers is ??

Or perhapsmore correctly, "Poseur" [8D]

This isn't an aggressive stance toward emblem users at all, rather a point for discussion. I was wondering what the root niggle is regarding poseurs or posing. After thinking a lot aboutfolk whacking emblems/decals/badges/stripes from another vehicle onto theirs, I decided that there are probably a wide number of reasons people get upset, what are yours??

Personally I like "borrowed" emblems and don't have a real huge issue with them so long as they're appropriate and not cheap/tacky looking.However,for me, there are two significant negatives I see.

- There's always a chance that the car will end up being sold to some poor Sap as the vehicle it's decaled/emblemed up tolook like. You say it wouldn't happen, but we know these cars well, most people DO NOT ! Not saying that the emblem guys on here would try that, I'm thinking of futures owners down the line, when vehicle history starts to get muddy. You hear of classic cars being falsely presented all the time.

- The other one is rather more immediate. I Would love to know what people with Emblems do when people say to them [for example] "Wow, Awesome Cobra Man" or when they hear peoplesaying to their friends "Wow, I love that SuperSnake, they're awesome" . It just seems to me that it would become embarrassing....
Apart from that cumulatively mounting embarrasment, having to counter with apologetic phrases like "No, it's a GT[or]V6 with Emblems/decals on it" belittles the owner and brings downthe rest of the car. Instead of it being a [for example] KickAss V6, it's now just a GT500 Poseur, which is a shame.

Interested to hear your objections to posing.............

Poseur is the correct version of the more common "poser". The term is used for 2 reasons-
A) As an insult, used by one who is insecure and attempts to enhance their image by making people believe they have the authority to call someone else a poseur,
or
B) One who groups him or her self in a particular social clique in order to appear trendy or "edgy" but doesn't believe in the principals held by said clique and is only leeching onto it in order to avoid the social ridicule of not being part of a clique. A poseur will probably change their "style" once every 6 months, possibly more.
The common thread is insecurity- the insecurity to be yourself and be happy with it. Poseurs are the kinds of people who only appear "cool" to people who are just as insecure as they are. But no one ever found success lying to themselves for acceptance.[/align]
Old 11-18-2007, 10:46 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: The problem with posers is ??

I hate when people try to get credit for something they don't have. It also shows disrespect towards what they do have, and to others who have that same thing.

I'm talking straight-up emblems and logos only, not body parts.

Its pathetic. Get an education and become rich so you can buy what you're lieing about having, otherwise be happy with what you worked hard for.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

Personally, it doesn't bother me one bit. If someone wants to put different emblems on a car that they bought, more power to 'em. It's not something I would personally do, and I might laugh at a few of them, it all comes down to doing what makes you happy.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:57 AM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

Poseur=[sm=badidea.gif][sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=icon_beat.gif]
Old 11-18-2007, 11:05 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Both are valid IMO Marcus.....

People here on the boards can tell the difference immediately.....we would be the ones saying "why do yo have cobra emblems on a v6" In this case i would love to here you answer because there really is no good answer

The other 75% of the people out there wouldn't know the difference between a real GT500 and a v6 with a cobra front and the emblems......hell even a v6 with different emblems would pass for a lot of people.....They would be the ones saying "damn nice GT500 or cobra or whatever" I guess you can play along with this and say thanks or whatever but i would feel stupid for doing this, but i would feel even dumber saying its a GT or V6 with the emblems

Either way I see no advantage to putting on the snakes.....it puts you in awkward situations where you have to lie or just feel like a jackass explaining the reasoning. Putting a GT500 front end on the car i can understand, i like it too, but i will never go as far as putting a snake on or anywhere near my car, i have a GT and i am damn proud of my GT!
Old 11-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

I really don't care if someone does it, if you like the way they look go ahead and do it. But, I don't understand why someone would want to make there car into something it's not, it doesn't make sense to me it's not a Shelby so why put Shelby badging on. It's like someone putting a Supercharger badges on a car that isn't.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:16 AM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

they degrade the original, the genuine.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Well I agree you should not try to be something your not. But I can see if their is someone that just can't afford the car they really want. My suggestion is be happy with what you have. And save for what you want in the future. You will be much happier in the long run. imo

Thurman
Old 11-18-2007, 11:26 AM
stangboy555
2nd Gear Member

I used to think about this alot. I guess it depends on the severity of the situation. Myself, I like Saleens, but I refuse to pay $60K+ for a mustang.Just because, its just a mustang with aftermarket parts. I enjoy working on my car, modding it the way I like and making it look good. I also plan on doing a Saleen conversion on my 07 GT, and I plan on doing the majority of the work myself (with the help of a few friends). Call me a poser all you want, just be ready to answer to my Supercharger
Old 11-18-2007, 11:31 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I have no issues at all, heck..I take a bit of everyone and incorporate on my stang....roush, GT500, etc. However, I would think it twice to remove my GT emblems and slap some snakes...there are just certain things one just does not do, for whatever reason, and that for me personally is a no-no...call me crazy.

Quick Reply: The problem with posers is ??