Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some new chrome shoes!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 02:17 PM
96GTponyup
2nd Gear Member

Default I need some new chrome shoes!!!!

Ok I just got my tax return back and coupled with the cash I also had saved up I now can finally get some chrome wheels for my stang. I kinda want to keep the same tires since my dealer is offering me 2 free sets if I do all my service work there.

So I guess some 17s would be best. I love the 03 SVT Cobra rims but I can find anyone who has them to fit the 05s. Maybe put some 17s on then lower it about 1.5".

What do you guys think? I want to order them today so any responses are welcome.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:44 PM
96GTponyup
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I need some new chrome shoes!!!!

What!?!? Noone has any suggestions?[]
Old 03-07-2005, 03:32 PM
96GTponyup
2nd Gear Member

Guess noone likes me anymore.[]
Old 03-07-2005, 03:52 PM
El Cid

It appears you have made up your mind, but wheels are tough. No matter what kind you ask about, some will like them and some will not. It's a very subjective thing on a car so you really have to make yourself happy.

Personally I would not upgrade my wheels and stay with the stock size (even with the reason you mentioned about the free tires). You can use your OEM wheels (and free tires) for autoX or drag racing so you don't damage your nice wheels. Plus, if you get chrome you will give up performance and handling due to the increased weight. Your suspension will have to work harder to make up for the weight and you will lose braking ability as well. Chrome looks really nice, but the lighter the wheel the better the performance.

Just my .02.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:23 PM
96GTponyup
2nd Gear Member

I have 17" chrome mach 1s on my 96 GT. thats my real race car so if I lose a little performance I dont really care. This one is more eye candy than anything.
ORIGINAL: El Cid

It appears you have made up your mind, but wheels are tough. No matter what kind you ask about, some will like them and some will not. It's a very subjective thing on a car so you really have to make yourself happy.

Personally I would not upgrade my wheels and stay with the stock size (even with the reason you mentioned about the free tires). You can use your OEM wheels (and free tires) for autoX or drag racing so you don't damage your nice wheels. Plus, if you get chrome you will give up performance and handling due to the increased weight. Your suspension will have to work harder to make up for the weight and you will lose braking ability as well. Chrome looks really nice, but the lighter the wheel the better the performance.

Just my .02.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:10 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

I agree with ElCid. Adding unsprung weight is really terrible for the performance of any car. Sure chrome looks good but personally I wouldn't do it. Then again, it IS your car and you are the only one that needs to be happy with it.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:21 AM
96GTponyup
2nd Gear Member

How much more will chrome 17s weigh as opposed to machined ones? I have the upgraded wheels.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

Interesting comment/fact about wheel weight. I have heard this in the past and always wondered, with this fact of physic's why people move to the 19 and 20 inch wheels. These larger wheels have to weigh more than their smaller diameter counter parts. It would seem that the smaller sidewall size in the lower profile tires used with the 19/20 rims must be more of an advantage than the extra weight of the wheel.

????????????????????
Old 03-08-2005, 10:25 AM
El Cid

ORIGINAL: Higgie

Interesting comment/fact about wheel weight. I have heard this in the past and always wondered, with this fact of physic's why people move to the 19 and 20 inch wheels. These larger wheels have to weigh more than their smaller diameter counter parts. It would seem that the smaller sidewall size in the lower profile tires used with the 19/20 rims must be more of an advantage than the extra weight of the wheel.

????????????????????
It all depends. You can find some wheels that are larger in diameter and width that weigh as much or less than the smaller setup. CCW for example makes some superb, lightweight, forged wheels. Larger diameter wheels also give the advantage of better turn-in and handling feel. Of course you can go too far by putting 20s on a fox body Mustang. 20s on a 2005 however work well bcz the overall tire/wheel diameter is much larger so with 19 or 20" wheels you still have enough sidewall that it doesn't look funny and doesn't give up handling and safety (bending or cracking a wheel on a pothole). If I had a 2005 Mustang I would be buying the 19" CCW SP500s or 505As. On my Supra I don't feel comfortable going any larger than 18" wheels.

http://www.ccwheel.com/street/files/...ain.htm#wheels

http://www.ccwheel.com/street/files/...ain.htm#wheels

But, your assumption is correct... most folks going with 19 or 20" wheels are not doing it for performance, but rather appearance. I just hope they upgrade their brakes or leave more room btwn them and the vehicles in front of them.

Here is a good demo as to why: http://www.baer.com (the SUV demo in the middle of their homepage).
Old 03-08-2005, 10:56 AM
96GTponyup
2nd Gear Member

I want these wheels for my 05 gt. Will 17x9s fit whith the stock tires?

http://customwheelsmarket.com/muwhri20svtc3.html

Quick Reply: I need some new chrome shoes!!!!