Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOS guage pod

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 06:35 PM
NVRL8
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: SOS guage pod

Pillar pods
Old 11-23-2007, 06:46 PM
dewittalday

I also had the same problem with the SOS pod, where one of the rivets stuck out just a bit to prevent the gauge from sliding in. Just one was like that. I ended up doing the same thing you did already, using a Dremel to *carefully* grind down the rivet so the gauges fit. I have the Autometer Nexus gauges.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Well I just loged on and read your delema. I was going to say to do what you did. That is what I did. Glad it worked out.

Thurman
Old 11-23-2007, 09:43 PM
SpeedofSound

The first thing to do in the event of a problem is to contact the manufacturer directly, isn't it????

Come on, guys, you should very well know we're not that hard to reach (at almost any day/hour). If I could be in every garage while my products were installed, I would be. Even though I'm not, I try to support every product as though I was there helping you turn wrenches.

Now, let me address "The Rivet Issue":

Due to the polypropylene construction of the A-pillar and ABS construction of our pods, an adhesive solution is not possible. We chose a mechanical fastener (rivets) and secure them using a pneumatic rivet gun at roughly 95 psi. Due to this process (and the soft plastic materials), there is a variance sometimes from part to part. At times, the rivet seats too deep. While we sample/test pillars at random, we don't catch them all, and for this I apologize personally to those of you who met some frustration.

It seems all of you found that a Dremel tool will take a little off the rivet and allow the gauge (in the top pod) to sit nice and flush. The lower pod needing a small patch of Velcro or tape is normal, and can be found in our instructions. Sometimes this happens, and sometimes it doesn't. Gauges (even from the same mfgr) vary in sizing also, which further complicates the issue.

FYI, the dash pods are not affected by this issue in any way. The only issue possible with them would be the need for the Velcro "trick" to firm up a gauge that doesn't fit quite tight enough. If we designed our mold for an airtight press-fit, you'd never get your gauges back out of the pods! Not an attractive option, IMO.

Please, do me the favor of getting in touch. Don't PM me either, as I can't monitor dozens of Mustangs forums daily,but send an email directly to alan@speedofsoundllc.com. Or, call me at the shop from Mon-Fri, 9:00am to 5:00pm CST. If I'm not there, leave a message and you can bet you'll get a call back quickly.

I appreciate all of you choosing our products, and regret any inconvenience caused by any errors in our manufacturing process. As we grow, we continue to refine and improve these steps.

Sincerely,

Alan Lindgren
Founder/President
Speed of Sound LLC
Old 11-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

damn... I had ur email wrong! missed the LLC....
Old 11-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Makes me want SOS Pods even more... I like having contact with a person and not just a common mail box. Now I just have to decide on what guges I want...
Old 11-24-2007, 01:37 AM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpeedofSound

The first thing to do in the event of a problem is to contact the manufacturer directly, isn't it????

Come on, guys, you should very well know we're not that hard to reach (at almost any day/hour). If I could be in every garage while my products were installed, I would be. Even though I'm not, I try to support every product as though I was there helping you turn wrenches.

Due to the polypropylene construction of the A-pillar and ABS construction of our pods, an adhesive solution is not possible. We chose a mechanical fastener (rivets) and secure them using a pneumatic rivet gun at roughly 95 psi. Due to this process (and the soft plastic materials), there is a variance sometimes from part to part. At times, the rivet seats too deep. While we sample/test pillars at random, we don't catch them all, and for this I apologize personally to those of you who met some frustration.

It seems all of you found that a Dremel tool will take a little off the rivet and allow the gauge (in the top pod) to sit nice and flush. The lower pod needing a small patch of Velcro or tape is normal, and can be found in our instructions. Sometimes this happens, and sometimes it doesn't. Gauges (even from the same mfgr) vary in sizing also, which further complicates the issue.

FYI, the dash pods are not affected by this issue in any way. The only issue possible with them would be the need for the Velcro "trick" to firm up a gauge that doesn't fit quite tight enough. If we designed our mold for an airtight press-fit, you'd never get your gauges back out of the pods! Not an attractive option, IMO.

Please, do me the favor of getting in touch. Don't PM me either, as I can't monitor dozens of Mustangs forums daily,but send an email directly to alan@speedofsoundllc.com. Or, call me at the shop from Mon-Fri, 9:00am to 5:00pm CST. If I'm not there, leave a message and you can bet you'll get a call back quickly.

I appreciate all of you choosing our products, and regret any inconvenience caused by any errors in our manufacturing process. As we grow, we continue to refine and improve these steps.

Sincerely,

Alan Lindgren
Founder/President
Speed of Sound LLC
When I installed mine I had a question and Alan gave me his cell phone and I called him directly. How many other companies can you call the president and cheif R & D director with questions? The best pods hands down!
Old 11-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Alan is the man!!!!

I was chosen to beta test a universal mount and Alan spent several phone calls with me walking me thru potential pitfalls and suggestions on the install. He was truly of great assitance and insight.

I can recommend SOS highly enough!

For those of you who care... here is a write up on the intall of the universal pods that SOS will have out in 2008

https://mustangforums.com/m_4019088/tm.htm

Old 11-24-2007, 10:47 AM
NVRL8
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpeedofSound

Sincerely,

Alan Lindgren
Founder/President
Speed of Sound LLC
Alan,
Thank you for responding to this thread, I hope you didn't take any offense to it by thinking that I was in some way bashing your product. I couldn't be more happy with it and I know that little things like this happen, no biggie. I was just in a pinch at the time I submitted this with it being the day after thanksgiving and didn't think anyone would be available. Your product is great and I would recommend it to anyone needing a guage mounting product and I am 100% certain I will be buying more of your products. Keep up the great products.

Rick
Old 11-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

gotta love having direct contact with these guys that are vendors, i know what pod im going to get!

Quick Reply: SOS guage pod