Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Question regarding storage

ORIGINAL: UK PONY
The basis for this is to prevent flat spots on the tires but an easier way is to fill the tires with Nitrogen instead of air.
Ok, back up...This isn't even possible...The way these tires are designed you could never get them to fully deflate and create a vaccuum in a practical sense, therefore you could never have just nitrogen in your tires. Furthermore, "Air" is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and maybe 1% argon. So mainly what you are talking about replacing is the oxygen, because, some will say that nitrogen won't leak as much, yada yada yada. By that logic, every time I fill up my tires with 78% nitrogen, I am increasing the % of nitrogen inside my tires because mostly oxygen is escaping. That may be true, but then, this whole "filling up with nitrogen" is a scam. Its not even possible to get just nitrogen, and not worth it. Fill the tires to 40 psi with air, you'll be fine.
[sm=rant.gif]

Original: bcstang

where do you get a battery tender and how much?

Battery Tender
Old 11-26-2007, 12:04 AM
Leos06gtLL
3rd Gear Member

i saw something on jay leno's web site that said you should store with a full tank
Old 11-26-2007, 12:17 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

yes full tank is to prevent condensation, and freezing/thawing in the tank
Old 11-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Gryphon
1st Gear Member

Alright everythings done now....I added the sta-bil earlier on a full tank of gas, and took out the battery and put it downstairs.

I skipped the oil additive so thanks for sharin that

Im a tad concerned about the tires...I have seen some discussion on it but not sure what to do. Itll be in storage from now till prolly April...I dont have another set of tires or anything really for that matter. Think they will be ok and fairly unharmed? @ 40psi

Thanks again guys, its much appreciated

**edit**

nm question on tires....itll be ok @ 40psi
Old 11-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

Im a tad concerned about the tires...I have seen some discussion on it but not sure what to do. Itll be in storage from now till prolly April...I dont have another set of tires or anything really for that matter. Think they will be ok and fairly unharmed? @ 40psi

Thanks again guys, its much appreciated

**edit**

nm question on tires....itll be ok @ 40psi
Put the car up on jackstands. That'll eliminate any possibility of flat spots.

~Fletch~
Old 11-26-2007, 09:11 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

I had to store my car for 1 year when I got deployed to Iraq. I just put fuel sta-bil in it with a full tank of gas. Only problem I had was some bushings went bad. Tires were fine.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:50 PM
UK PONY
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Burnsy

The basis for this is to prevent flat spots on the tires but an easier way is to fill the tires with Nitrogen instead of air.
Ok, back up...This isn't even possible...The way these tires are designed you could never get them to fully deflate and create a vaccuum in a practical sense, therefore you could never have just nitrogen in your tires. Furthermore, "Air" is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and maybe 1% argon. So mainly what you are talking about replacing is the oxygen, because, some will say that nitrogen won't leak as much, yada yada yada. By that logic, every time I fill up my tires with 78% nitrogen, I am increasing the % of nitrogen inside my tires because mostly oxygen is escaping. That may be true, but then, this whole "filling up with nitrogen" is a scam. Its not even possible to get just nitrogen, and not worth it. Fill the tires to 40 psi with air, you'll be fine.
[sm=rant.gif]

Original: bcstang

where do you get a battery tender and how much?

Battery Tender
The method for Nitrogen fills is to deflate & inflate 3 times to purge the regular air out - whilst this will not completely eradicate oxygen it will give you a 95% purity of Nitrogen. You're entitled to your opinion Burnsy but my experience is that I can drive my vert all season & not lose tire pressure.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:55 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

No cover in the northeast. Dust won't hurt the car but mice will.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:11 PM
UK PONY
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

I've been told by many people that putting bounce dryer sheets in & around the car will keep the mice away - the strong smell puts them off. I've stored my car with these in place for the past couple of years & it does seem to work - the one time I didn't it cost me a battery blanket ($60).
Old 11-27-2007, 08:03 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

I've been told by many people that putting bounce dryer sheets in & around the car will keep the mice away - the strong smell puts them off. I've stored my car with these in place for the past couple of years & it does seem to work - the one time I didn't it cost me a battery blanket ($60).
Yeah, I've done the dryer sheets, moth ***** but I've been using one of those sonic rodant devices for about 6 months now and I keep several traps out and I'm not catchingmice any more and don't see signs of them (acorns, droppings etc.) I searched around the interenet and got the best one I could find; damn thing really seems to work. It is plugged in the wall in front of the car in a finishedbay in my divided twobay garage.

Quick Reply: Question regarding storage