Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Winter Thread (Tires, Tips, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 04:04 PM
NewmanGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Official Winter Thread (Tires, Tips, etc.)

GT + 5speed = asking for trouble to drive in the winter. I live in Ontario Canada, winters arnt that bad but we have our snow covered/black ice roads.

My 06 GT vert will be parked in my garage, under a blanket untill march probably.

I have a PURE beater 1990 f-150 5.0L truck, toss a ton of weight in the back and im good to go ... my suggestion, buy a beater car for the winter. Keep the miles, & salt off your car
Old 11-29-2007, 04:05 PM
brendend
4th Gear Member

ill let u guys know right after xmas... 1400 mile trip home in the stang from winnipeg... i cant wait for that trip....
Old 11-29-2007, 07:24 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

My first choice for winter tires was Michilen X-Ice, but none available. I ended up with Hancock Icebear. Did fine last year with 100-150lbs in the trunk. This year I'll only be driving mine if I get caught unexpected.Also doing a trip home to western PA over X-mas.
Other than that, I'll be driving the beater. 5-spd GT here. I'm in the flatlands of central Oh here though, only hills are the on & off ramps.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:19 AM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

I drove mine last winter, 110 miles a day in MI. Stock tires you can get away with, barely. But for long distance driving, where weather can go from bad to worse, plus heavy traffic I decided to go snows.

I put Blizzaks on all four, with two 120lb sand bags and the car was amazing. There where some mornings I would be passing 4x4 on the road with ease. Blizzaks are among the best for snows so you won't be disappointed.

Which reminds me, anyone want a set of Blizzak 235/50/17's? I got a Kia for the everday driving and the Stang is a garage queen now.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:25 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doctorj77

I drove mine last winter, 110 miles a day in MI. Stock tires you can get away with, barely. But for long distance driving, where weather can go from bad to worse, plus heavy traffic I decided to go snows.

I put Blizzaks on all four, with two 120lb sand bags and the car was amazing. There where some mornings I would be passing 4x4 on the road with ease. Blizzaks are among the best for snows so you won't be disappointed.

Which reminds me, anyone want a set of Blizzak 235/50/17's? I got a Kia for the everday driving and the Stang is a garage queen now.

Sorry, not 18".
Old 11-30-2007, 09:26 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT

Some extra weight in rear (200#s is plenty!).
I got some Dunlop WinterSport M3's from tirerack (if you buy tires, I suggest them, and only them. Excellent all around.........best service I have encountered (along with Brenspeed))
Smooth inputs is key.........

I've looked at those but the $900 seems a bit pricey. They are #1 rated though.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:37 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I have and will be using the stock all-season tires that are on my 18". Last year I found that adding 150lbs of sand didn't really make a difference. This winter will be interesting now that I have all my mods done.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:37 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Double post.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:42 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

I have and will be using the stock all-season tires that are on my 18". Last year I found that adding 150lbs of sand didn't really make a difference. This winter will be interesting now that I have all my mods done.

We plan on rotating the GT with the Jeep Liberty for when it gets bad out. With the cost of desiel on the rise, I hate to do that though. Plus it only gets 25 mpg vs the 27 in the GT. Ends up costing another $25 a month.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 PM
SatinSilverStang
2nd Gear Member

how much for those blizzaks?

Quick Reply: Official Winter Thread (Tires, Tips, etc.)