Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter vibration/engine 'whirring'

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 07:48 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default Shifter vibration/engine 'whirring'

Ok... This has always been an issue since I bought the car used at 6K miles, but after my shorty headers install over the weekend it seems like a much worse issue.

There is a constant 'whirring' sound coming from below the center dash, like where the engine meets the tranny. Its usually there, but may sometimes go away while in neutrel.

Also, and probably related, there is a big thunking noise/vibration coming from the same area when accelerating (especially when bogging the engine down accelerating) and this can really be felt in the shifter. Shifter is hurst but this was happening with the stock shifter too.

Still there at high rpms but not nearly as noticeable.

Id imagine its not going to blow up and send a rod through my skull, but I wouldnt mind having it fixed anyways.

No dealer trip for me either.

(IMO it all adds up to a clutch issue, like the slave cylinder between the pressure plate and the tranny or the throw-out bearing. But while shifting is clunky and never perfect, it doesnt seem to have degraded as this noise/vibration has gotten worse over the weekend, after the shortys install.But maybe someone has dealt with this before and knows exactly whats going on.)
Old 11-26-2007, 07:56 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Shifter vibration/engine 'whirring'

have you replaced any of the clutch components
since buying the car

ie flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch disc, pressure plate
or slave cylinder

Old 11-26-2007, 08:22 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

well i have a whirring sound that goes away when I depress the clutch but is there when the clutch isn't depressed. also i have a raspy noisy gear sound when the engine bogs a bit when accelerating, especially in 4th gear. I think that it is the nature of the beast at this point, but damn the T5 is clunky, loud, and hard to shift. Maybe someone has gotten these fixed, but I think it may be the nature of the transmission.

EDIT 2: I realize now you have a GT so my post may not be applicable, but I still have similar symptoms with a V6. Hopefully the other GT guys can help you out.

EDIT: Also I have noticed that since I installed the MGW short throw shifter there is more noise, I think that aftermarket shifters transmit more noise and vibration than the stock shifter, this is the trade-off between performance and "quiet".
Old 11-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Doc Holiday
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Ok... This has always been an issue since I bought the car used at 6K miles, but after my shorty headers install over the weekend it seems like a much worse issue.

There is a constant 'whirring' sound coming from below the center dash, like where the engine meets the tranny. Its usually there, but may sometimes go away while in neutrel.

Also, and probably related, there is a big thunking noise/vibration coming from the same area when accelerating (especially when bogging the engine down accelerating) and this can really be felt in the shifter. Shifter is hurst but this was happening with the stock shifter too.

Still there at high rpms but not nearly as noticeable.

Id imagine its not going to blow up and send a rod through my skull, but I wouldnt mind having it fixed anyways.

No dealer trip for me either.

(IMO it all adds up to a clutch issue, like the slave cylinder between the pressure plate and the tranny or the throw-out bearing. But while shifting is clunky and never perfect, it doesnt seem to have degraded as this noise/vibration has gotten worse over the weekend, after the shortys install.But maybe someone has dealt with this before and knows exactly whats going on.)

I have the exact same problem. Still running the stock exhaust manifolds, but my symptoms are the same. I can also feel a very slight "thumping" in the shifter even at idle and in neutral. When accelerating, it's much more pronounced, like a thumping or thunking feeling to it. Seems to be worse around 2000 to 2500 RPM and at heavier load conditions. I thought it might be exhaust related, but under the car, I could find nothing hitting or even close to hitting anything. Recently, I was reving up to do a small burnout, and started to let the clutch out but didn't get any tire spin. My buddy was in the car with me, and we both smelled something burning, but it wasn't rubber, it smelled like clutch material. So i've been taking it easy, and the clutch still engages fine, except it grabs very high, like it always has. The one thing I can think might be related to the thumping is the release (throw-out) bearing or another driveline component. I know it's not the driveshaft because I can feel the same thumping in neutral and even with the clutch engaged at idle (although not as intense).
Old 11-26-2007, 09:38 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

I had a similar sound/feel a long time ago and it turned out to be the stock clutch going. Sure fits the bill to the slave cylinder going funky. Perhaps get that checked before investigating pricey clutch replacements.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:45 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Interesting... Well, bought car used at 6K, then had to have clutch replaced due to 'wear and tear' at 9K.... Another OEM clutch was put in. I couldnt engage gears, and sometimes putting into a gear would roll the car even with pedal pressed.

That was all fixed with the new clutch, but I have no clue if they replaced the throw out bearing.

All other symptons described above are still there now just like before the new clutch, argh.

I admit im relieved other people have it, since we can't all be breaking down. Or can we... [sm=icon_sneaky.gif]
Old 11-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Dont these cars have dual-mass flywheels? I wonder what a faulty dual-mass flywheel would sound like?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:43 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I have 15.5K miles on my 2007. I've noticed a whirrling noise only when the car is just sitting in neutral with the clutch out. I figured it was just the carrier shaft (whatever the constant spinning shaft is called) in the transmission. I have had a few clunks going into gear and accelerating from the driveshaft, but I'm certain they were just because of my driving. I don't get them nearly as often anymore now that I'm better at driving the car.