Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership Did a Number on My Door

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:51 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Dealership Did a Number on My Door

ORIGINAL: nothsa

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

Whatever you do, don't let them take it to a body shop and have it repainted... You will regret this down the road TRUST ME. Your paint will never be the same on that door.

-Jeff
Can try a door off of another stang but it is not that likely to match as well as you might expect. Make sure you see it in natural daylight. Even if they pulled a fender and a door off of another for you, the rear qtr match is in question. There is nothing wrong with having it painted at a body shop if it is a quality shop. Many shops will provide a better result than an OE finish particularly if they sand and buff the clear (it won't have the OE orange peel) If it was me I would be talking about a trade for a new one; let them fix and sell what they have created.
Yes, you are correct but they can not match an OEM paint job. They can do better than an OEM paint job for sure, but do you want to see orange peel all over your car except for your door where they painted better? Nope, and that is indeed a problem unless the entire car is recleared which is what I would demand, if the trade in approach fails.

-JEff
Old 11-26-2007, 10:54 PM
tjs2906
1st Gear Member

-Jeff
[/quote]
If it was me I would be talking about a trade for a new one; let them fix and sell what they have created.
[/quote]
I think that would be the only solution for me.3 months old.......I don't know....Oh,hell they wouldn't have to do anything, you can't drive a Mustang in jail...........
Old 11-26-2007, 11:05 PM
LuckyFlyingROUSH
1st Gear Member

Door, Fender, Rims... all that needs to be said. Don't ask them for stripes because ford stripes are horrible and are slapped on in 30 minutes, even my sales rep said don't get them done at the dealership.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:28 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

OMG .. That poor Mustang. I agree, push to swap the door and fender from another car on the lot pending the colors match-up.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:57 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

Whatever you do, don't let them take it to a body shop and have it repainted... You will regret this down the road TRUST ME. Your paint will never be the same on that door.

-Jeff
Can try a door off of another stang but it is not that likely to match as well as you might expect. Make sure you see it in natural daylight. Even if they pulled a fender and a door off of another for you, the rear qtr match is in question. There is nothing wrong with having it painted at a body shop if it is a quality shop. Many shops will provide a better result than an OE finish particularly if they sand and buff the clear (it won't have the OE orange peel) If it was me I would be talking about a trade for a new one; let them fix and sell what they have created.
i second that!!! make em pay. and you should not get pinned with that crap!! get a new one and give em your broken one
Old 11-27-2007, 02:03 AM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

First let me state, your NOT getting a new car It's no different then if some other jackass hit you when you left the dealer. Yes they will fix it. if they can take another door off. Then that would be the best thing, and the fastest thing for them, a easy swap and no paint. but that would leave another car doorless. So they will probably order another door and repaint it, just like if you were in the streets.

BUT...........
Difinatly ask for some sort of compensation. Maybe the 18" wheels or whatever. That I'm sure they can do. If they dont want to. POST the delears name and the guy that said no upgrades to you, and we can all makes some phone call to this guy.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:07 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Makes my head hurt, just by looking at the pic...get the parts of the other stang and ensure they match perfectly...
Old 11-27-2007, 03:33 AM
kingdong6515
1st Gear Member

Key word=diminished value. Look into it. I would see if you can squeeze them enough to just take your car and let you into a new one. I see this may work with some luck and persuasion due to the fact that it's a Mustang (enthusiast car) and that it was the direct fault of an employee's recklessness/negligence. DO NOT LET THEM PAINT YOUR CAR--the best shop out there cannot and will not be able to match the metallics in the paint. They can match the paint color 100% but will never duplicate the angle of sprayer/batch of paint/exact conditions of the booth WHEN YOUR CAR WAS PAINTED--therefore the direction the metallics settle will vary. You might not notice it right away--but trust me you will in time if you care about that sort of thing. When a light source hits it--BAM!, you see it. If they won't replace your car I would see if they would take the door from another new vehicle, however I doubt they will do this. But they can replace the door on a new car without disclosing it to the buyer. I had a brand-new silver vehicle hitskipped. Door replaced, paint blended properly and matched perfectly,however once she was clean and in the sun--there was a huge shadow that just didn't look right. Needless to say the car went bye-bye to my expense. Try the nice guy approach but be firm and sound educated as to your options and you should get what you want. Don't try and walk away with freebies--stick to getting a quality repair and don't settle. Do your research and check the repair closely. Good luck, I feel for you.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:32 AM
jc63_
2nd Gear Member

FREE GT500SUPERSNAKE[sm=groupwave.gif][sm=happybounce.gif] FREE GT500SUPERSNAKE!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 04:54 AM
QatarStang
4th Gear Member

*begin Tommy Boy quote*

'WHAT'D YOU DO???'

*end Tommy Boy quote*

Sorry if someone else beat me to it LOL.

Really sucks about your door though. Hopefully you'll be able to get an extended warranty or some free parts out of it.

Quick Reply: Dealership Did a Number on My Door