Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 07:18 PM
shock11n

Default Audio Question

I'm going to be picking up my first stang soon (used), and I can't decide between 2 at different dealerships. Having a decent sound system is fairly important to me. One is a satan silver metallic, which I am not a big fan of, with the Shaker 1000. The other is black, which I prefer, but it has the standard, non-shaker stereo.

How bad is the regular stereo? Would swapping out the speakers improve the sound? Is it true that becasue the stock speakers are so crappy, the head unit is EQ'd to make the stock speakers sound adequate, while making any aftermarket speakers sound bad? I am reluctant to change a head unit becasue I want to preserve the resale value of the car. Keep in mind that I would probably have to get professional installation, and I want to keep costs down.

More than one question, I guess. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:26 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Audio Question

Aftermarket stereo would be better then any of the shaker choices......the speakers are paper cones just like any other factory speaker and they will distort also. I would get the black and have a new HU and speakers put in, pretty much any HU or speakers will shine when compared to the stock system i the car. The shaker isnt bad for a stock system but far from good in most people opinions
Old 11-27-2007, 07:31 PM
alex0o85
2nd Gear Member

Why don't you just turn the radio on in both cars and decide? Resale value, what resale value? don't worry, you'll see....
Old 11-27-2007, 07:52 PM
shock11n

Haha, I do have to worry about resale value becasue I am borrowing money from my parents, and I am gonna have to sell whatever car I get anyway after I graduate to pay them back.

My question was really about what aftermarket stuff can be done cheaply and reversibly. I guess I should check out both the Shaker and the stadard one, but they're both really far away from where I live, and my transportation situation doesn't allow me to go frequently. It seems like there aren't exactly a lot of used V6 coupes with traction control around.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:02 PM
UK PONY
2nd Gear Member

Changing the HU is an easy DIY job - see Tacobills great write up for the destructions.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:04 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Is the standard non shaker radio a double DIN like the shaker? I'm not familiar with it......Regardless, you can pick up a very inexpensive aftermarket stereo at Crutchfield, and they will send you the dash kit and wiring for free with the purchase. Very easy swap, and it can easily be returned to stock, should you need to....no biggie.....

Old 11-27-2007, 08:09 PM
alex0o85
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shock11n

Haha, I do have to worry about resale value becasue I am borrowing money from my parents, and I am gonna have to sell whatever car I get anyway after I graduate to pay them back.

My question was really about what aftermarket stuff can be done cheaply and reversibly. I guess I should check out both the Shaker and the stadard one, but they're both really far away from where I live, and my transportation situation doesn't allow me to go frequently. It seems like there aren't exactly a lot of used V6 coupes with traction control around.
if you plan on selling this car after you graduate, i wouldn't recommend getting it. My 06 V6 had a sticker price of $24,000 in 06. Now, it's worth about $18,000.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:17 PM
shock11n

I don't know what the wiring setup is. Is it true that the standard is missing enclosures for the 8 inch subs in the doors (I know it obviously doesn't have the trunk subs)? If this is right, how important are these speakers to the overall sound of a system?

I've already looked into the depriciation, and its not unaffordable for me.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Rustan

I have the Shaker 1000 and it indeed lives up to the name. I have never heard a factory system like it, it bumps hard and is very loud and do not distort, A+. Although I wouldn't base your decision on the stereo, it's easier and cheaper to change a stereo than the paint.