Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF...So Cal Chevron Stations....**PICS ADDED**

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 07:36 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default WTF...So Cal Chevron Stations....**PICS ADDED**

OK, did this change, and I missed it, or is it just my local station......

Took the wifey's grocery grabber down tonight to fuel up. Start pumping fuel, and happened to start paying attention to the pump....WTF, the lowest octane has changed from 87 octane down to 85 octane???? Wait, I thought all the newer engines required a minimum of 87 octane....

Middle grade is still 89, and top end in So Cal is 91. Hmmmm......I smell a conspiracy to force the buying public to purchase the middle grade, as opposed to the bottom grade.....now isn't that clever.......[:@][:@]
Old 11-27-2007, 07:40 PM
alex0o85
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: WTF...So Cal Chevron Stations....

Old 11-27-2007, 07:49 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i feel your pain
Old 11-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Hmm...Interesting. I thought the lowest octane gas that they could sell in CA was 87 octane. Maybe the Chevron was starting to sell E85, and that was thesticker you were readingon the pump? I'm taking a wild @$$ed guess on that one, but it makes me want to start checking out the 2 Chevron stations in my town to see...

If it's not, I'd call up the state board and just confirm that "regular unleaded" fuel in SoCal should be 87 octane minimum...
Old 11-27-2007, 07:58 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

Hmm...Interesting. I thought the lowest octane gas that they could sell in CA was 87 octane. Maybe the Chevron was starting to sell E85, and that was thesticker you were readingon the pump? I'm taking a wild @$$ed guess on that one, but it makes me want to start checking out the 2 Chevron stations in my town to see...

If it's not, I'd call up the state board and just confirm that "regular unleaded" fuel in SoCal should be 87 octane minimum...
E85 being....Ethanol?? If it is, it's in the grocery grabber now........[8D][8D]
Old 11-27-2007, 08:13 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

That would be my guess. There are no cars currenlty on the market that will run propelry on a 85 Octane fuel. I bet you pumped in E85

Richard
Old 11-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Ok...Wow...I guess that they CAN have a minimum of 85 octane in California...

Found at http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/ty..._gasoline.html

Definitions of Gasoline Grades (classification of gasoline by octane ratings): Each type of gasoline (conventional, oxygenated and reformulated) is classified by three grades - Regular, Midgrade, and Premium.

Note: Gasoline sales are reported by grade in accordance with their classification at the time of sale. In general, automotive octane requirements are lower at high altitudes. Therefore, in some areas of the United States, such as the Rocky Mountain States, the octane ratings for the gasoline grades may be 2 or more octane points lower.

[ul][*]Regular Gasoline: Gasoline having an antiknock index, i.e., octane rating, greater than or equal to 85 and less than 88. Note: Octane requirements may vary by altitude.[*]Midgrade Gasoline: Gasoline having an antiknock index, i.e., octane rating, greater than or equal to 88 and less than or equal to 90. Note: Octane requirements may vary by altitude.

Premium Gasoline: Gasoline having an antiknock index, i.e., octane rating, greater than 90. Note: Octane requirements may vary by altitude. [/ul]
Ok...Also, after doing a little bit of reading...I don't think it was an E85 pump, since there's only 4 public gas stations in ALL of California that sell E85 (which is odd, considering CA is supposed to be one of the most eco-terrorist...I mean, eco-friendly, states in the US), none of which are Chevron Stations. It might very well have been 85 octane fuel, based upon the info above, and would have been legal to sell...
Old 11-27-2007, 08:30 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

OK, did this change, and I missed it, or is it just my local station......

Took the wifey's grocery grabber down tonight to fuel up. Start pumping fuel, and happened to start paying attention to the pump....WTF, the lowest octane has changed from 87 octane down to 85 octane???? Wait, I thought all the newer engines required a minimum of 87 octane....

Middle grade is still 89, and top end in So Cal is 91. Hmmmm......I smell a conspiracy to force the buying public to purchase the middle grade, as opposed to the bottom grade.....now isn't that clever.......[:@][:@]
My brother lives in El Paso, Texas, and he says that they sell 86, 91, and 93 out there. He buys 91 because his car needs 87. I'll bet lots of people are using the 86 not knowing that their car needs 87.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:41 PM
godminus1
2nd Gear Member

At the Chevron right down the street from me some crazy b**** tried to kill herself by running her Dodge Caravan into the pump about two weeks ago. She expected it to explode. Their pumps are all boarded up. They said the woman went to the hospital with a concussion.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:15 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

WTF does this have to do with the OP?
ORIGINAL: godminus1

At the Chevron right down the street from me some crazy b**** tried to kill herself by running her Dodge Caravan into the pump about two weeks ago. She expected it to explode. Their pumps are all boarded up. They said the woman went to the hospital with a concussion.

Quick Reply: WTF...So Cal Chevron Stations....**PICS ADDED**