Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funky, cheesy, cheapo leather :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 05:12 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Default Funky, cheesy, cheapo leather :(

Okay, I'm sure most leather equipped S197 owners have had some sort of issue with their hides.
I meticulously baby my GT, washed every week, waxed once a month, clay it every two months, treat the leather bi-weekly, polish the bullitts once a month. Now this! I have a slight
"peel" on the driver's side left hand side bolster(lower edge). It's about 2mm in size(very tiny), and I used some Super Glue to stick back to the seat, but why? The leather is ultra supple and has no wrinkles or creases, but yet this happens[&o]. Crap materials IMO. Considering that 66% of the seats are vinyl, you'd think Ford would use a quality leather on the actual "seating surfaces", but noooooooooooo. Okay, I'm over it and have accepted it(although I'm still not very happy[:@]).
Old 11-29-2007, 05:21 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Funky, cheesy, cheapo leather :(

yeah,im with you,on my 2005 f150 i started showing wear in about 6 months.ive always had leather in all my cars,but this was the worse i ever saw,so to save my self that headach,i went with black cloth in the GT.i love leather but im glad i dont have to worry about it wearing out now.i have OCD so little stuff like that is hard for me to deal with,lol.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:24 PM
slvrstang2007
2nd Gear Member

What product do you use to treat the leather? I too baby my car and treat the leather once a week or every 2 weeks and I noticed a little wrinkling in my leather!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

I dont have the leather but it could be the way you get in the car.
My Vettes seats always looked new when I sold them (thanks to tips from older Vette Owners)
If you put one leg in the car first (like most people) you will rub the bolster.

If you set in the seat and then swing both legs in and reverse the process to get out
you will not wear the bolsters.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:35 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slvrstang2007

What product do you use to treat the leather? I too baby my car and treat the leather once a week or every 2 weeks and I noticed a little wrinkling in my leather!!!
I use Black Magic leather cream(at first I had the Ford treatment stuff I got when I bought the car).
It really blows 'cause the seats look factory fresh(except for the little, tiny peel, which is naked to the eye, but I know it's there!).
Old 11-29-2007, 05:38 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Pleather for the MFW......Not!!! I have the same thing....love to see a pic to compare notes.....
Old 11-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Seat covers? -Jon
Old 11-29-2007, 05:44 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gene K

I dont have the leather but it could be the way you get in the car.
My Vettes seats always looked new when I sold them (thanks to tips from older Vette Owners)
If you put one leg in the car first (like most people) you will rub the bolster.

If you set in the seat and then swing both legs in and reverse the process to get out
you will not wear the bolsters.
I use the door sill to "push" myself up & out of the car. I take my wallet out too(lol) so it doesn't brush up against the bolsters. I think it's more of a stress point on the seat when one's seated. There aren't any scuffs or scratches in that area(indicating rubbing), just the "peel". btw I'm 5'11" about 200lb(36" waist), so I actually slide around in the seat when driving hard into the corners.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:55 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

Pleather for the MFW......Not!!! I have the same thing....love to see a pic to compare notes.....
Hopefully this is visible...............the white stuff is glue residual(since wiped clean)

[IMG]local://upfiles/46403/D482EA4AF0754434B2204609753DDEAF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-29-2007, 06:22 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Use it as an excuse to buy some good seats.....like Recaro's.

Quick Reply: Funky, cheesy, cheapo leather :(