Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antenna/Car cover question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Juban
1st Gear Member

Default Antenna/Car cover question

Hey guys, this is probably a stupid question but I was wondering how should I go about pulling a car cover over my 8ft stock antenna? I have a generic cover that I had for my '00 eclipse (which had the antenna intergrated into the back windshield) and haven't ever really thought about it until 2 nights ago when I wanted to cover up. My cover is beat to hell and I need to get a new one, but since I have to park outside under a tree I'd love to make use of it for now to stop the mess that birds and wet leaves are making. Thanks in advance.

-Juban
Old 11-30-2007, 11:07 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Antenna/Car cover question

You can punch a hole in it so the antenna wull slide down. Most generic covers come with a 2 peice plastic grommet that you snap over the hole for reinforcement.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Juban
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I was considering punching a hole in it but want to make sure it was neccessary (shouldn't have worried about it to begin with since my dog chewed a 1 foot hole in the front corner of it.)
Old 11-30-2007, 11:27 AM
VanGTCS
2nd Gear Member

I take my antenna off when putting my car cover on, then just finger tight it back on when I take the cover off. After wrenching it off the first time, I just finger tight it on and off. My Mustang spends most of it's time under a cover, and usually only comes out on weekends when it's nice.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:30 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VanGTCS

I take my antenna off when putting my car cover on, then just finger tight it back on when I take the cover off. After wrenching it off the first time, I just finger tight it on and off. My Mustang spends most of it's time under a cover, and usually only comes out on weekends when it's nice.
+1. I just take the antenna off.....real easy with a shorty antenna.....

Old 11-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Juban
1st Gear Member

I'm going to look into getting a shorty sometime soon, but my mustang is going to be my daily driver since I'm selling my eclipse, which means it'll have to be driven in all weather and covered at night. I don't really want to have to take the antenna off every night =/ I need a garage
Old 11-30-2007, 12:10 PM
VanGTCS
2nd Gear Member

Do you even listen to the radio much? Half the time I forget to put my antenna on it and drive around with nothing. If you don't listen to the radio, get a little rubber stopper to cap the hole and leave it off =)
Old 11-30-2007, 12:14 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Juban

I'm going to look into getting a shorty sometime soon, but my mustang is going to be my daily driver since I'm selling my eclipse, which means it'll have to be driven in all weather and covered at night. I don't really want to have to take the antenna off every night =/ I need a garage
I use a cover when I park my car in the garage when bad weather hits for an extended period. I got this shorty antenna and it doesn't get in the way of the cover fitting over it. The reception is great too even though its so small. It just screws on like the original.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

Since you are going to get a new cover, get the one from Ford. Weather Shield. Great cover, I have one myself. Comes with the hole needed too.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Juban
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wingman75

ORIGINAL: Juban

I use a cover when I park my car in the garage when bad weather hits for an extended period. I got this shorty antenna and it doesn't get in the way of the cover fitting over it. The reception is great too even though its so small. It just screws on like the original.

what brand is that/where could i pick one up? I was worried about going that short for reception (i do listen to the raidio in the morning and no and then when I can't find a cd that I really want to hear.)

I was also thinking about getting the Ford car cover...just didn't know if it was worth their price.

Quick Reply: Antenna/Car cover question