Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Zrz11386
2nd Gear Member

Default Problems in the rain

Ok so tonight i went over my girlfriends house to take her to target to get some christmas lights for her dorm room. Anyway my car ran fine on the 10-15 minute drive over to her house. Now its been raining steadily for the last 7 hours here. But anyway we get in the car at her house, and take off to target down Ritchie Highway (for those in the baltimore area). When i get to the top of hill i let off the gas and start to drift down it, about halfway down the hill, it feels as though the brakes are being applied. While drifting down the hill my speedometer is steady, and even dropping very very slowly (maybe went down 2 -5 mph over the length of the hill) now this hill is not one with a slight grade. The grade is steep enough that my speedo should have went up while going down it with the gas not being applied. Anyway at the same time im staring at my speedo my girlfriend says "whats that humming noise?' After i turn off the radio, i hear the same thing, almost like a very faint whirring sound, not one ive ever heard before in this car, but not loud at all. Anyway i continue to drive, keep hitting the gas, driving normally, no problems. But as soon as i take my foot off the gas and start to drift, it would start to drift normally, then noticeably slow down, as if the break was being applied. (almost like when you have cruise control on and your going down a hill, and the cruise control slows you down) I hit the cruise control off button just to make sure, but even afterwards it continued to happened. No dash lights, nothing at all, just the feeling or braking, and the faint whirring sound. Anyone have any ideas or had anything similar? Or should i just hurry it to the dealership? To bad im also in the middle of getting the parts for the right front thunking noise.......Getting tired of the stealership bull****.....

Thanks for everyones input in advance....

Zach
Old 12-02-2007, 11:50 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Problems in the rain

e brake.. lol.. honestly.. i have heard of some electrical crap wiht the rain and this car.. but i dunno..

what about your TCS.. (traction control).. maybe that was doing something.. and is it a stick or automatic?.. and if it was a stick, were you still in gear?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:39 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTstangB.F.D.M.

e brake.. lol.. honestly.. i have heard of some electrical crap wiht the rain and this car.. but i dunno..

what about your TCS.. (traction control).. maybe that was doing something.. and is it a stick or automatic?.. and if it was a stick, were you still in gear?
+1 if it's a stick and you were still in gear then effectively you'd be engine braking..
Old 12-03-2007, 11:58 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: exx1976

ORIGINAL: GTstangB.F.D.M.

+1 if it's a stick and you were still in gear then effectively you'd be engine braking..
Sounds like it to me also
Old 12-03-2007, 12:05 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

In the rain my TCS kicks my *** - you have to drive very carefully. I only drove my car once in the rain and it's going to remain once.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

^ Same thing I thought (about the gears) as I read it. Maybe a little too much eggnog, too?
Old 12-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Juban
1st Gear Member

not to get off topic, but what color mustang do you have? I'm up and down Richie Hwy all the time.

-to kinda stay on topic, it does sound like you may have been stuck in gear if you have a manual.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Zrz11386
2nd Gear Member

I appreciate all the problems guys, but one problem, its an automatic, with no TCS, so i have no idea what it could be, drove fine again today, but there was little to no rain, and Juban its black, on black bullitt rims....

Zach
Old 12-03-2007, 07:40 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

So you have a V6 without the traction control and its an auto.....well its still in gear so the engine braking would still apply i guess
Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 PM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

I have a similiar hill on the way to my house, and when it rains really hard, the car will slow going down the hill--from a lot of resistance on the road, Similiar to hydro planning(sort of). Just guessing that the "humming" noise is unrelated, you just happened to notice now when you have another issue.

Quick Reply: Problems in the rain