Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A manual in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Rustan

Default RE: A manual in traffic

The clutch doesn't bother me in these cars, very very light. My last car was an '03 Cobra and it sucked big time in traffic, very heavy clutch. First time I pushed in the clutch on my '07 I aboutput my leftfoot through the floorboard.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:23 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

All five of my stangs were manuals. I wouldn't have it any other way. I drove in a long X-mas parade the other day, and didn't think twice about it.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:45 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

How do you burn out the clutch? I think I am shifting wrong from a stop to first. I always push the clutch all the way down, give it gas, to about 2500 rpm then slowly let out the clutch while giving it gas. Is this wrong? I don't want my clutch to wear out prematuralely.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

My 07's clutch is beautiful. Hydraulic assist?. If you lift at 2500 rpm's thats strange. I barely lift the clutch at 750rpm (off-idle) and let it roll into 1'st unless I'm racing or something...
Old 12-05-2007, 10:12 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

If you can't handle a clutch then it's simple. Buy an auto and at the same timea skirt.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

This car can be driven by a child in traffic with the manual. Light clutch, high horsepower,easy shift (unless you have a hurst) and it's no problemo!
Old 12-05-2007, 11:13 PM
SCs197gt
On A Mish

I love my manual...wouldn't trade it for the world...but it is heavy though. I test drove a manual jetta as a daily driver and man it was a feather compared to the stang. Here in so-cal it does get a bit cumbersome but still love to drop it and punch it...there is no better feeling
Old 12-06-2007, 12:05 AM
T8Stanggt
3rd Gear Member

I hate manuals But really I didnt learn to drive a manual until after I bought my stang. It sucks but **** happens. It really doesnt bother me that I have an Auto. All I know is I have a damn nice looking performance vehicle. I don't believe I will ever own a manual just not my preference.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:15 AM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

That's always been something that sort of annoyed me. I've only been driving for 6 years but the only2 vehicles I have owned have been manuals. I have been stuck in traffic and it can suck, hell my truck is worse to drive than my'stang because of heavy-duty hydraulic clutch in it takes probably twice the effort that my Cobra does. I have never had a problem because the times I spend not in traffic make up for the 10% of my driving time I spend in traffic. I know some people live in congested areas but I find it hard to believe that you are in bumper to bumper 100% of the time driving. To me, even if I spend 90% of my driving time in traffic the other 10% with a manual would make up for it.

Think of it as a free workout for you left leg.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:44 AM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sliek0722

I was going to post this as a reply in another thread but I think this is a topic that is worthy of discussion because its always been a burning question to me:

Why is there a stigma that manuals suck in traffic or people hestitate to buy a manual because of city driving? I've been driving a manual for almost ten years and I can honestly say that driving in the city doesn't affect me whatsoever.

I don't even think when I'm driving my car. I do it on autopilot. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd I don't think, "I'm revving at 2500, time to shift" I'm thinking "Boy I would love some mashed potatos with gravy while watching Family Guy tonight" while my body shifts the car for me. I don't worry about stalling out at green lights because I stall out maybe once every six months. I don't have any problems moving the car in first gear and I don't burn the clutch the slightest bit. City driving and traffic do not affect me whatsoever (ok traffic makes me mad but not because I have to shift lol).

And the advantages? I control the car when I want! I can rev high, rev low, slow down easier and have more fun.
I understand what you're saying but, with the highlightedI disagreein that when I'm revving at 2500 rpm I'm thinking about downshifting and winding out the rpms.

Driving in heavy traffic has been no problem at all other than being stuck in heavy traffic.

Quick Reply: A manual in traffic