Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fail Safe Help?!..

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Witte 05
1st Gear Member

Default Fail Safe Help?!..

So..I installed my BBK CAI and Brenspeed 87 Oct tune last week and my car has run great...Great throttle response and so on...tonight I pull up to a gas station and leave the car running and fill the car up...I put the cap on and as soon as I'm pulling out the computed sounds and I look down and it says "Fail safe mode"...WTF...I spent $600.00 bucks on this thing...So I shut if off and turn it back on and then the check engine light comes on...I start to return home and the car dies in second gear....I get the SCT out and read the codes...they are as follows.. P2106 and P2135...which I believe have something todo with the throttle body...So I put my stock air box back on and return the tune to stock and just drove the car about 25 miles with no problems...the car has 28,000 miles on it and I have NEVER had a problem with it....it is and 05 GT manual...stock besides hurst shifter, flowermaster axle backs, and the BBK CAI and Brenspeed tune...so where do I go from here...I can't have my wife out there driving it and it go into fail safe and have her get rear ended or something because the car stalled...could it just be becauseI just filled up and it weired the computer out?...should I try to re install the CAI and Tune and give it another try?....any thoughts...and anyone had this problem before?....
Old 12-07-2007, 09:25 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Fail Safe Help?!..

first off why are you leaving the engine on while fueling

I would install everything again, most problems people have with CAIs are becuase they are not installed properly and there are leaks....if it happens again once installed car brent immediately
Old 12-07-2007, 09:28 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

not only that if there is any dirt or debris in the fuel tank you are stirring it up while the fuel pump is sucking from the tank
increasing the chances of plugging up the filter prematurely
is it that cold that if you shut your car off it wont start?
Old 12-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Witte 05
1st Gear Member

Good points...I'll try it again tommorrow...it has to be something with the mods dont you think....I mean it is running fine now...no codes and it has never given me a code until this week....how tight should the rubber seal around the CAI and the throttle body be?...I just snugged them up I didnt really crank them down....I have read some other people who have gotten that similar code and wound up having there throttle body replaced...
Old 12-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Witte 05
1st Gear Member

Anyone else have this problem...
Old 12-08-2007, 09:16 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Witte 05

Anyone else have this problem...
Never had this happen but.....

1. I would go back and re-install the CAI and make sure you have the seal between the CAI and throttle body good and tight. Must have a good seal.

2. I know that on occasion, these cars will throw an error code if the gas cap is not tight. Perhaps because you left the engine running while fueling, it forced the computer code....Re-install the CAI, re-flash the tune, and give it a go.....

Good Luck.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Witte 05
1st Gear Member

Well i put it all back together this morning and cleaned out the inside of the throttle body...it was a little black but not that bad...when i reinstalled the CAI I really tightened the blue rubber gasket that seals the BBK to the throttle body...reinstalled the 87 performance tune and hit the streets...I just went maybe five miles but i did get on the gas pretty good and had no problems...I think I freaked the computer out filling up with it running...so i hope this solves it...
Old 12-08-2007, 10:44 AM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

I had the same codes and the throttle body was bad. But once it happened the car never ran right until I replaced the tb so I am guessing that you need to shut the car off when filling up.