Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablosport or SCT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Default Diablosport or SCT?

So, tonight, I was asked which tuner I'd go with if I were to get an xmas present of a CAI/tuner combo (family is chipping in for it for me, apparently; I've been leaving hints about either Brenspeed or Bama tunes for it).

When it was asked of me, though, I thought about it and went, "Hmm...I don't have the foggiest notion what makes one better than the other..."

So, I figured I'd throw it out to the forum and see what most of you guys think. SCT Xcal 3 or Diablosport Predator (tuning would most likely be done through Bama, since they offer both the Diablosport and the SCT)...Any pluses/minuses to them?
Old 12-07-2007, 11:48 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Diablosport or SCT?

there is multiple threads my friend,
but maybe wait till howermat chimes in since he has both let him give you his 0.02
Old 12-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

I tried to compare them online, but there's no info on the SCT Xcal 3 on SCT's website, so far as I can find.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:10 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Yep, there are both about the same really,

the Xcal loads the tune a little faster and is easy to use, I have never had any problems with it. It uses USB port connection

The diablo seems to have some features that the Xcal doesnt
[ul][*]You can store your factory tune on a computer (download it off the tuner onto you computer once you install your tunes)[*]shut the rear 02s off[*]turn TCS off[*]holds more tunes[/ul]The predator does not use USB connection, it uses a serial connection, so make sure you computer has that.

Otherwise they are very similar tuners, the problem you might run into is that if you ever want a dyno tune, your shop might only use the SCT and not Diablo or visa versa....so you might want to check that out first and then make your decision based on that.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:20 AM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

I've got both. Like mentioned above-- out of the box, diablo has more user adjustable points than the SCT, the SCT loads faster, and most tuners tend to use SCT. IMO, either way, you won't go wrong.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:46 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Find out what your local dyno tuner supports. Even if you aren't planning on dyno tuning now, it'll be better down the line to have the tuner he supports, should you ever decide to get a dyno tune. (If you get into serious tuning, the dyno is a must.)
Old 12-08-2007, 10:55 AM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

dont let serial port discourage you I got a usb to serial adapter from radio shack for 10 bucks
this is my 2nd car that Ive had a preditor for
Old 12-08-2007, 11:34 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

Find out what your local dyno tuner supports. Even if you aren't planning on dyno tuning now, it'll be better down the line to have the tuner he supports, should you ever decide to get a dyno tune. (If you get into serious tuning, the dyno is a must.)
+1

I have a Diablo tuner, and I love it. But Alternative Auto which is nearby only works with SCT.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:43 AM
orange S197GT
1st Gear Member

I had the same question. Doug at Bama Chips recommended that I get the new SCT XCal 3. I'm waiting on it and a JLT CAI now...
Old 12-08-2007, 11:49 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: orange S197GT

I had the same question. Doug at Bama Chips recommended that I get the new SCT XCal 3. I'm waiting on it and a JLT CAI now...
Thats sad Is there anybody who likes the Predator anymore?

Quick Reply: Diablosport or SCT?