Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How methodical are you at washing your s197?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How methodical are you at washing your s197?

Yeah well I enjoy washing it so I don't mind spending the time... just take my time and don't rush what so ever

ORIGINAL: jrhykushi

lemme get this straight.. you spend atleast 5 hours every sunday washing your car?!

thats insaneeeee :OO
Old 12-08-2007, 08:29 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I drive it up the block to one of those high-pressure DIY places.. MAN, they hate it when I pull in.. Take out my trusty bucket and sponge, wheel brush, wheel cleaner, vert top cleaner, jelly blade, drying towels.. I tie up one of their bays for at LEAST an hour every time.

Then when I get home I hit it with detail spray and a rag to get rid of any of the watermarks from water that came out during the drive home.. Every other week I spend ~4 or 5 hours over Sat night/Sun AM doing a blackfire polish/Carnauba wax treatment.. Interior gets the standard treatment every other week with Raggtop leather cleaner/protectant. No food or drink is allowed in the car, and I only smoke in it when I have the top down.

Glass is done every week with the wash.

I'd say I spend an average of 3-4 hours per session, once a week, during the season. Currently it's sitting in the garage full of Sta-bil, waiting for the snow/salt covered roads to be back to their normal Western NY pot-holy (but clear) state..

Old 12-08-2007, 09:14 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

I'm pretty picky about it.

If it's not overly dirty I'll wash it with the garden-hose and a mitt and then microfiber dry, and it always takes around 3 hours. This happens probably about twice a week when the weather is nice (spring/summer/fall basically).

If it's really dirty for some reason I'll take it over to a do-it-yourself place with the pressure washers and get everything blasted off and then take it home and wash it properly with the mitt and all that.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:14 PM
sa3geabx
2nd Gear Member

I just stand at the base of the windshield and pee down the hood. Gravity takes care of the rest.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:24 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

I wash it a couple times a week. When it's car show season, I will spend hours getting very picky about it.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:25 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sa3geabx

I just stand at the base of the windshield and pee down the hood. Gravity takes care of the rest.
Do you put the top up first?
Old 12-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

I drive it up the block to one of those high-pressure DIY places.. MAN, they hate it when I pull in.. Take out my trusty bucket and sponge, wheel brush, wheel cleaner, vert top cleaner, jelly blade, drying towels.. I tie up one of their bays for at LEAST an hour every time.

Then when I get home I hit it with detail spray and a rag to get rid of any of the watermarks from water that came out during the drive home.. Every other week I spend ~4 or 5 hours over Sat night/Sun AM doing a blackfire polish/Carnauba wax treatment.. Interior gets the standard treatment every other week with Raggtop leather cleaner/protectant. No food or drink is allowed in the car, and I only smoke in it when I have the top down.

Glass is done every week with the wash.

I'd say I spend an average of 3-4 hours per session, once a week, during the season. Currently it's sitting in the garage full of Sta-bil, waiting for the snow/salt covered roads to be back to their normal Western NY pot-holy (but clear) state..

Hehehe...I used to be the same way with my last car, since I lived in an apt. complex and they wouldn't let you wash your car in the carport. I'd go down the street on the weekends to a GOOD DIY spot and rinse it, soap it, rinse it again (NO BRUSHES! They usually had tons of gunk in them from where some guy used them to scrub the mud off his truck after mud bogging), then I'd bust out the clay bar and clay the entire car, hand wax it (didn't have any electrical outlet to use a corded polisher, and I hadn't seen any cordless polishers on the market that were affordable at the time), clean the tires/wheels, clean the glass, and I was good to go.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:28 PM
sa3geabx
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: raubt

ORIGINAL: sa3geabx

Do you put the top up first?

I tried. It just seemed to splash back. [&o]
Old 12-08-2007, 09:30 PM
SkyMaster19
2nd Gear Member

Wipe down every weekday @ 0600 & 2 hr detail on either Saturday or Sunday.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:03 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: hammeron

wash by hand, 20 minutes tops
Same here.
Every Friday after work.

Quick Reply: How methodical are you at washing your s197?