Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FI comparison...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:29 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Default FI comparison...

I know you fellas have seen this millions of times but i have to ask this...its a pretty dynamic question for you all but im sure it will prove as no contest for you hardcore stangers out there!

i will be going f/i soon and want to have all the ibnformation i need in order to choose which method to go with....we have seen the "turbo or s/c?" posts hundreds of times....this is similar to that but just asking for a overall comparison of the two and which one would you go with....

all of the following questions are pertaining to a turbo kit or s/c:

which one is the easiest to install?

which is the cheapest to install?

which is the most cost effective when considering the overall power gain from the kit?

which one is safer for your car?

which one will provide you with the MOST power at a cheaper price and is safer for your car while keeping your drivetrain STOCK?

which kit and which brand would YOU go with?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:14 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Default RE: FI comparison...

That is indeed a lot of questions

Centrifugal remote mounted Blowers are arguably the easiest as you don't have to remove the intake plenum or exhaust

Cost wise they would be similar but be careful with this one. Cheap to install often means Bad install. I'd rather pay a good shop a decent rate to do a good job. You don't want to get 'cheap' as this point.

which is the most cost effective when considering the overall power gain from the kit?
Horse for Horse a turbo is most cost effective

How long is a piece of string? You can't separate them here, it's all about how far you want to push your motor. Both FI's can be safe or destructive, depends on boost.

which one will provide you with the MOST power at a cheaper price and is safer for your car while keeping your drivetrain STOCK?
See above. 500 Crank hp seems to be the point at which these motors start folding rods if pushed.

I like Twin screw Blowers.
Remote mount Centri blowers make a nice noise but I don't like all that pipework
Turbos get the under hood area HOT which is my biggest concern
Turbos make a sound which i associate with Rice, but that's just me
Blowers Make lots power at low RPM
FRPP, KB, Saleen, Roush - all good Blowers

Only my opinions, worth 2 cents max [8D]
Old 12-11-2007, 09:02 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i agree 100%
Old 12-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Ringo01
2nd Gear Member

I agree mostly with what he said, besides the difficulty of install. I would have agreed about a week ago, until a member on here posted his install of his vortech, he said it was a PITA. And from what I've gathered the Saleen is fairly simple to install, with only a few difficult parts. You should be able to download the installation instructions from most of the websites. I plan on going with a Brenspeed Saleen kit when I do.

But what do I know? I'm still N/A
Old 12-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Well technically a Turbo would be easier on an engine for the same flywheel or rearwheel horsepower number.

Forgive the following oversimplification

A Turbo Car on 6 psi will make 425 rwhp

A Turbo Car on 8 psi will make 476 rwhp

A Blower Car on 8 psi will make 425 rwhp.

The 425 rwhp Turbo is easier on the engine than the 425 rwhp Blower.

The 476 rwhp Turbo is no harder on the the engine than the425rwhp Blower.

Where did the extra power gowith the blower? To drive the blower of course!

Edit: Had to fix a typo. See if that makes more sense.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

i like turbos
Old 12-11-2007, 02:37 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I am not "blown" but have done tons of research on all forms of Forced induction and have my opinions. So take this for what its worth.

Subjective but from what I have read and seen the Saleen and Whipple have the best install instructions, with the Whipple being the most in depth. This is one I always figured I could install myself.

Again I called a bunch of local shops (Orlando, FL which I believe you do as well) and got all sorts of figures from reasonable to insane. I would suggest installing yourself to save the cash and it sounds like fun. If you decide to have someone install it PM me and I can tell you who I liked and who I would avoid.

If installed yourself it would all be about the same, maybe $100 in incidental parts and tools.

As I am sure you know all forced induction will give you about the same power numbers at the same boost. It is just how you want your power. TS is like a big block power everywhere, and Centri/Turbo is a linear power curve. Personally I like T/S, and would say a Whipple HO is the best bang for the buck considering everything it comes with (fuel pumps, etc) and can support whatever power you want within reason with a pulley change.

I would say any blower or turbo at 8psi is very safe with little chance of damage and would get you in the 425rwhp range.

You get what you pay for here, so it is a toss up, but mostly see one above.

I would go with a Saleen or Whipple HO. If I got the saleen I would get a Brenspeed Stage 2, and eventually just add the GT 500 fuel pumps and 8psi pulley. If I got the Whipple HO I would run it at 8psi and never worry about anything and throw the 10psi on at the track.

As a side note, again I live in Orlando and would be willing to help on an install if you did it on your own. I have extensive collection of mechanic handtools and I work for beer. Heck if some things clear up in the near future we can do a dual install.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:30 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

wow guys thanks for all the information and time youve taken to respond...

ya ill definately shoot you a PM, GT0405, if i end up getting in soon!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Before you make any decision on a blower, look at ALL of these...Saleen, Whipple, Kenne Bell. It is very hard to beat the efficiency of the www.kennebell.net Very complete kit with very detailed install instructions and a good support line. The 8 psi setup delivers approx. 443 rwhp and 416 fptq. Intercooled!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:42 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

MustangGT0405, i may start referring to you
as the boost guru! very very impressive. for
someone who doesn't yet have boost, you've
done the research required and actually have a nice
grip on the systems in general

Quick Reply: FI comparison...