Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FI comparison...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Dex
5th Gear Member

Default RE: FI comparison...

go turbo. supercharger guys get really upset when you say to go turbo.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:14 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

LOL Not at all. Some of my most memorable cars have been turbo'd.

BTW, How is your Turbo'd engine Dex?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:20 AM
brendend
4th Gear Member

im not going to pretend to know my stuff when it comes to f/i systems so ill tell you what ive gathered from putzin around here.
turbos are safer and you gain more power with less boost due to the lack of parasitic loss. turbo installs are more expencive from what my friends told me but it is very possible to do yourself. in the end it depends on what you want. most people, older guys more then others, think that stangs need to be supercharged if they have a f/i system. personaly i love the sound of a b.o.v. maby even a little better the whine of a nice supercharger.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Dex
5th Gear Member

My turbo'd engine is fine actually. The problems with it were not the turbos fault but were with the distributor who sold it to me "balanced" but it wasnt

nevermind. I dont want another turbo vs supercharger thread
Old 12-12-2007, 11:30 AM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

"TS is like a big block power everywhere, and Centri/Turbo is a linear power curve"

This is not accurate about turbos. Turbo's have "lag" due to spool up time of a couple tenths of a second. A 67mm turbo for the Mustang will be at full boost at 2900 RPM just like a TS.
A TS has instant throttle response, the biggest advantage IMO.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:43 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Well, that's true but in fairness you can use a smaller turbo to reduce the lag although that is often at the expense of top end power. That's where twin, dissimilarly sized, staged turbos come in, the German's are real good at that technology.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:03 PM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

I did install the Vortech(& the writup).

YOU DO have to remove the intake. There is alot of re-routing of coolant hoses powersteering & the like. Not difficult with the proper tools. You do have to tap into the oil pan for a return line.

I like twin-scews myself, but due to the fact that I have 4.10s, alum driveshaft & flywheel, I think the more instant boost would be even worse for traction, which is why I went centrifugal on this car. Plus its a daily driver, and staying out of max boost is a little easier. Gotta love the way it builds boost til redline. Still making 20mpg in all in town driving.

Heres a link to my write-up:https://mustangforums.com/m_4280738/tm.htm
Old 12-12-2007, 03:27 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Hammeron
"MustangGT0405, i may start referring to you
as the boost guru! very very impressive. for
someone who doesn't yet have boost, you've
done the research required and actually have a nice
grip on the systems in general "

[sm=hail.gif] That is a great compliment from the Twin Screw master.

I think I have read evey forced induction thread from every site at least twice.

Started wanting a Whipple Non-int, then Saleen, then Whipple HO, then Saleen, then Turbo, then Whipple HO.

And now due to a particular group buy I am back on Saleen again because I can get it for $1k less than a discounted Whipple HO and since I am looking for a modest 425rwhp I think it would work fine.

Plan on getting the base Saleen and then adding a Brenspeed Stage 1 kit. Drive that for a while and add GT 500 fuel pumps and get an 8 psi pulley and VMP dyno tune and call the power train done.

My only problem is now that I have the $$ and am ready to pull the trigger I am getting cold feet. Its alot of money for a toy and in my younger days it would have been fine. I have bought myself motorcycles and a supercharger in the past but now that I am married its more complicated.

I know as soon as I start it the first time I will be happy just dont want to make a mistake with $5k.

Also wussing on the self install to pro install. 2 good shops quoted me $800 which isnt bad, it is just for big things I like to pay people who know what they are doing. I am sure me and my friends could do it but who knows.

Sorry thread jack over back to your regularly scheduled program.

0NF1R

If you give us a clear definition of your goals and budget we could probably point you in the right direction. I know it is hard because there are so many options it makes it hard to choose. Trust me I know.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:42 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

you boiled it down nicely to the
one truth......the fact that it is
just a toy.

my feeling is that you should only bolt
on FI, if you have the $ laying around and
will never miss it once it's gone.

having said that, i love my s/c

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

My only problem is now that I have the $$ and am ready to pull the trigger I am getting cold feet. Its alot of money for a toy and in my younger days it would have been fine.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:11 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 0NF1R

which one is the easiest to install?
supercharger

which is the cheapest to install?
supercharger

which is the most cost effective when considering the overall power gain from the kit?
supercharger

which one is safer for your car?
supercharger

which one will provide you with the MOST power at a cheaper price and is safer for your car while keeping your drivetrain STOCK?
supercharger, that actually goes to the turbo most likely, but from the sounds of it you will turn up the boost and blow your motor so supercharger wins again.

which kit and which brand would YOU go with?
Whipple of course.

Quick Reply: FI comparison...