Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A LITTLE CLARITY PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 09:45 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: A LITTLE CLARITY PLEASE

ORIGINAL: Higgie

ORIGINAL: DAVE05GT

OK, I HAVE READ ALL THE POSTS HAVING TO DO WITH THE SCT X-CAL AND DIABLO SP BUT MY QUESTION IS.........CAN YOU JUST GET A LOCAL DYNO TUNE AFTER YOU INSTALL YOUR MODS AND GET THE SAME RESULTS AS YOU WOULD BY HAVING THE SCT?

ALSO, ANYONE HAVE ANY OPINIONS ON THE MAC AXLE BACK?
This is a great question, and I am interested also.

Most magazine articles note the need to have the hand held flash units set at the manufacturer with your mod.s noted. They all reference 3 t0 4 "slots" that a set of parameters can be set in. I didn't see any information here on the forum, or in these articles, that note the ability to fine tune these paramters while the car is on the dyno.

This seems to be needed, if in fact the dyo tune is to be optimized for your specific car.

????????????????????????????????

[IMG]local://upfiles/12415/56043193019A40C4B8408F096A28D34F.jpg[/IMG]
Not sure we know if the hand held flash device can be adjusted for slight variations. IE, when on the dyno, can anything be altered slightly, timing, air to fuel ratio etc. ??? Or, if when you flash that's it. No additional variability, thus, dyno tune, is just a measurement of where you went, not optimized or adjustable to you specific car.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:37 AM
cheysdaddy
1st Gear Member

????????????????????????????????

[IMG]local://upfiles/12415/56043193019A40C4B8408F096A28D34F.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

Not sure we know if the hand held flash device can be adjusted for slight variations. IE, when on the dyno, can anything be altered slightly, timing, air to fuel ratio etc. ??? Or, if when you flash that's it. No additional variability, thus, dyno tune, is just a measurement of where you went, not optimized or adjustable to you specific car.

[/quote]
with the Predator you can do tuning in increments because it has a onboard screen and you can sit in your car and tune it. you can't do that with the SCT because you have to use your home computer to tune then send it to the SCT then flash to your car and hope you dont have to tune anymore. The Predator also has diagnostics on it so you can see what your tune does or if it needs fixed
Old 03-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Yeah but why can't a dealer from a performance shop have the equiptment and do it there? thats why they get paid the big bucks?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Yeah but why can't a dealer from a performance shop have the equiptment and do it there? thats why they get paid the big bucks?
A lot of performance shops do have the equipment to tune it on the spot, but you have to understand that you need some hardware to 'allow' them to do this. One way to go about it is to have a new chip 'burned' for your car once you know how 'off' your tune is or will be. This method can often be a matter 'trial and error' until their chip burn matches the needs of the motor. A better method is to get a hand held programmer/calibrator that you hear everyone always talking about. This gives you a way to alter your current chip program. These are especially useful because you can re-change your tune as you add mods. If you were using the chip method mentioned earlier, you would need to 're-burn' the chip after adding performance mods. Another method is to get a MAF tuner and a timing adjuster. These products give you full and more precise control over your timing and air fuel ratio. I use this method with outstanding results. -But, you need to be pretty knowledgable about tuning to use this method. Probably by far the easiest way to go about this process is to get a hand held tuner, like the Diablo predator or the Superchips calibrator, and bring it to a dyno with you, and the guys at the dyno will help you with it. They will be able to set it up and help you understand what it is doing for your car. I would try to find a dyno with experience with hand held tuners.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:07 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

which one do you thinks better? SCT or predator? [sm=bling.gif]
Old 03-14-2005, 09:44 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

They are all pretty close, but I like the Superchips one the best.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:14 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

how can you like superchips? there not out yet.. and why did you add a 3rd option?? now I'm really messed up [sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 03-15-2005, 12:27 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

I thought birdieman was talking about in general, not just for hte 05 Tang.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:34 AM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

ummm.. I only own a 05.. I'm not rich like some of you guys I'm so poor I have to still the single ply's from work
Old 03-15-2005, 12:54 PM
cheysdaddy
1st Gear Member

Personally I'm going with the Diablo. I don't want to have to use my home computer to tune my car I'd rather be able to sit in my car and tune it, and it has diagnostics and you can use that on any ford with a plug in. In my book it's just more bang for the buck

Quick Reply: A LITTLE CLARITY PLEASE