Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S197's and handheld tuners

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:54 AM
RHuckster
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: S197's and handheld tuners

Very well said Gene, nice write up!

Thanks
Rick
PS: My C&L Intake & tunes should be here today[sm=gears.gif]
Old 12-12-2007, 11:07 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

That's helpful. I just have a couple of quick questions.
First, if I were to JUST buy a tuner. Would this be helpful.
Also, if I needed to, how easy is it to set it back to the stock tune for when I have the car serviced?
I'd like to get a tuner but really just want to improve throttle response so I don't really care to add a CAI.
Does this make sense?
Thanks!
Old 12-12-2007, 11:13 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chain1

...if I were to JUST buy a tuner. Would this be helpful.
...if I needed to, how easy is it to set it back to the stock tune for when I have the car serviced?
I'd like to get a tuner but really just want to improve throttle response so I don't really care to add a CAI.
Does this make sense?
Thanks!
At the very least, you'll be able to run a canned tune from whoever makes the tune. I ran a canned Diablosport tune for a while before I got my Bamachips tune. If you buy a tuner from Brenspeed, Bamachips, etc; you'll get one of their custom tunes which are alot better than canned tunes, but still not as good as a dyno tune.

Flashing back to stock is easy and only takes like 5 minutes.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:31 AM
LMM1967
1st Gear Member

DiabloSport is coming out with the Trinity in February. If you are going with a canned tune consider waiting for that. They also keep promising to release a single user version of the CMR software but there is not a date set as of yet.

The trinity is going to offer some nice features - and the tuning portion of the device is basically the same as the Predator so there shouldn't be the problems typically seen with a brand new device.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:12 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

I think what I'd like to do is just buy the XCal2 from Brenspeed with the three custom tunes. Would this provide noticable performance gains? The only mod I have are Flowmaster ATs which shouldn't make any difference as far as the tune is concerned. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:54 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Anyone, I'm about to pull the trigger but want that last bit of assurance....
Thanks!
Old 12-12-2007, 01:58 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chain1

I think what I'd like to do is just buy the XCal2 from Brenspeed with the three custom tunes. Would this provide noticable performance gains? The only mod I have are Flowmaster ATs which shouldn't make any difference as far as the tune is concerned. Thanks for the advice.
Yes, you'll notice a difference, especially if you're an automatic. You should consider getting an intake too, it only takes 5 minutes to swap out an intake if you need to go back to stock.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:02 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LMM1967

DiabloSport is coming out with the Trinity in February. If you are going with a canned tune consider waiting for that. They also keep promising to release a single user version of the CMR software but there is not a date set as of yet.

The trinity is going to offer some nice features - and the tuning portion of the device is basically the same as the Predator so there shouldn't be the problems typically seen with a brand new device.
The Trinity is going to their answer to the SCT Livewire. Their canned tune was an improvement, but I still noticed a huge difference when I went to a Bamachip race tune.

I've almost given up on them every releasing that single user CMR software, and if they ever do I bet its going to be castrated to prevent you from doing any real advanced tuning.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:08 PM
LMM1967
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

ORIGINAL: LMM1967

The Trinity is going to their answer to the SCT Livewire. Their canned tune was an improvement, but I still noticed a huge difference when I went to a Bamachip race tune.

I've almost given up on them every releasing that single user CMR software, and if they ever do I bet its going to be castrated to prevent you from doing any real advanced tuning.
I believe the biggest holdup with the single user CMR is the licensing issues. It's gonna be tough for them to really prevent people from tuning more than 1 car with it.

As far as it being castrated - I'm sure it will be to a point. Most likely somewhere between the true CMR dealer software and what you can currently do with the Predator itself - which is actually a good thing for most people. I can only imagine the lawsuits that would pop up when people jack the tune up so bad they crack pistons as soon as they pull out of the driveway and romp on the gas to show their buddies how easy it is to do a burnout.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:37 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

What's so hard about the licensing. You still need a Predator to load the tune to the car, and the tuner can only tune a single car.

Quick Reply: S197's and handheld tuners