Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Truth about Mustangs and Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: The Truth about Mustangs and Snow

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo
...Nuke, if you are as old as you claim you are, surely you remember back in the good ole days when almost everyone ran chains of some sort. The only way they can cause damage is if they were put on too loose, or not re-tightened by the driver or by elastic straps, or if they break. One should do a very real look see before application, to see if there is enough clearance. Like I stated in MY thread, studs and chain usage is a state of mind. If someone is going to be serious about the s197 for a DD in the winter, they need to explore ALL of the possibilities. I know, it is hard to grasp the vision of a super car all chained up. It probably takes away from ones perspective on his manhood. But the fact remains, if you can GET OVER IT, chains do offer an alternative.
I definately agree, Gidyupgo. I have run chains on numerous vehicles over the years. I suppose the point I was trying to make was, regardless of what we do to the Stang, it may be TOLERABLE inpacked, plowed and less than 3-4" ofsnow, but not the "tank" that was mentioned. If the Stang was my only vehicle, you can rest assured I'd have dedicated snow tires mountedplus sand bags andchains in the trunk, the latter for emergencies only. The OP was trying to make the point also that the Stang is NOT "good" in snow. I was simply agreeing with him and taking offense to those defending it as if it was a jacked 4X4...
Old 12-12-2007, 12:17 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nuke

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo
...Nuke, if you are as old as you claim you are, surely you remember back in the good ole days when almost everyone ran chains of some sort. The only way they can cause damage is if they were put on too loose, or not re-tightened by the driver or by elastic straps, or if they break. One should do a very real look see before application, to see if there is enough clearance. Like I stated in MY thread, studs and chain usage is a state of mind. If someone is going to be serious about the s197 for a DD in the winter, they need to explore ALL of the possibilities. I know, it is hard to grasp the vision of a super car all chained up. It probably takes away from ones perspective on his manhood. But the fact remains, if you can GET OVER IT, chains do offer an alternative.
I definately agree, Gidyupgo. I have run chains on numerous vehicles over the years. I suppose the point I was trying to make was, regardless of what we do to the Stang, it may be TOLERABLE inpacked, plowed and less than 3-4" ofsnow, but not the "tank" that was mentioned. If the Stang was my only vehicle, you can rest assured I'd have dedicated snow tires mountedplus sand bags andchains in the trunk, the latter for emergencies only. The OP was trying to make the point also that the Stang is NOT "good" in snow. I was simply agreeing with him and taking offense to those defending it as if it was a jacked 4X4...

Well, obviously it's not tank with or without chains. I was speak metaphorically. Chains will get you places where no one else can travel be that over the mountain pass or back home safely.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Maverick9110E
2nd Gear Member

dude, learn to drive then. because i took it through about 3" of snow and up hills and had a perfectly fine time with it, stock pirellie's and all.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:44 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Maverick9110E

dude, learn to drive then. because i took it through about 3" of snow and up hills and had a perfectly fine time with it, stock pirellie's and all.

OFF Topic. I see you are a PBR fan.Announcer Justin McKee is my cousin.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:55 PM
JimC

I live in Port Huron, work downtown Detroit and had to drive the Mustang almost daily last winter. Was it as good as my 4x4 Explorer was - no, BUT I drove through a lot of snow and never got stuck.

I even went from downtown Detroit up I75 to Rochester to teach a class, then across M59 to I94 in a blizzard with over 4" of snow on the stock Pirellis - didn't have a problem. I guess if you grew up in Michigan with nothing but RWD cars for a long time you learn how to drive it in the snow. In fact the only car I had a problem with was my old FWD Tempo, which I managed to flip after it went into a skid, once the FWD starts to skid they are almost impossible to recover.

The only vehicle I ever got stuck in my subdivision was my old Jeep Grand Cherokee - although on that day I didn't even try to get the TransAm out of the garage and probably wouldn't have tried the Mustang because there was about a foot of snow with drifting on the subdivision roads.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:06 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

Listen guys, I think some of you are misinterpreting what I'm saying as whining about this car's performance in the snow.

Look, I knew when I bought it it would SUCK in snow/ice. I have no problem with that. What I DO have a problem with are all the people saying "it's not that bad on snow, it's great in the Winter, just go slow/get snow tires and it's like a Jeep!" PLEASE! That is what pisses me off.

I know this car is a muscle car with RWD and a V-8, so I'm not expecting it to be good at ALL in the snow. I just hate hearing all the threads of people saying it's not that bad.
its not that bad in the snow, and i am not a noob i drove the previous generatoin mustang for 5 years and in plenty of snowstorms. this model is actually a bit better than that one. it is your opinion that is sucks, and if you got stuck in 1" of snow in a flat parking lot wow is really all I can say.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Here's some alternatives for you.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Maverick9110E
2nd Gear Member

ROFL!!!

Thats awesome Giddyup!

I used to drive a FWD mazda3. that thing is the worst vehicle i have ever had in the snow.

My Vehicle list:

1980 F100 Pickup RWD Manual
1997 Dodge Intrepid FWD Auto
2005Mazda 3 FWD Auto
2005 Mustang Gt RWD

and like i said, as long as your comfortable with it and have a basic understanding of the car, you'll be fine.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:23 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

snow tires. and chains if really needed. i have been doing it for years. original poster, my mustang runs very good in the snow, no problem here.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:27 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Maverick9110E

ROFL!!!

Thats awesome Giddyup!

I used to drive a FWD mazda3. that thing is the worst vehicle i have ever had in the snow.

My Vehicle list:

1980 F100 Pickup RWD Manual
1997 Dodge Intrepid FWD Auto
2005Mazda 3 FWD Auto
2005 Mustang Gt RWD

and like i said, as long as your comfortable with it and have a basic understanding of the car, you'll be fine.

I remember many, many moons ago, his Dad, Russell and uncle Mark ran a stock sale barn in South Coffeeville OK. Justin was just a little fart of about 5 or 6 then, and he would come out with his whip all big and bad and sell all the goats and sheep that farmers brought in. Now look at him. I need a loan.

Quick Reply: The Truth about Mustangs and Snow