Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

having trouble with my stang :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 06:45 PM
str8wick3d
3rd Gear Member

Default having trouble with my stang :(

Anytime I am shifting quickly into 2nd.. like racing like, i get a nasty grind as it goes into gear... driving and shifting normally is fine, do you have any ideas?
Old 12-12-2007, 06:46 PM
poohflingr
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: having trouble with my stang :(

Hurst shifter?
Old 12-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

clutch not fully depressed
Old 12-12-2007, 06:52 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Could be that you're rushing it instead of shifting quickly. Gotta get that Clutch all the way on the floor before you try to grab the next gear when you're race shifting.
Lot's of clutches drag slightly but that isn't too noticeable during casual, normal shifting. It's when you open up the rev differential between gears when it shows up.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Soooo true. I have the Hurst and second is a biatch. For that matter any gear with this shifter is a biatch.

I think, like Marcus says it has more to do with pushing that damn long clutch to the floor.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:57 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Perhaps Mustangs should come equipped with an inch pedal like some tractors.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

It's not the clutch that bothers me as much as the goddam diff between my short throw shifter and that mile of clutch I have to engage .
Old 12-12-2007, 07:34 PM
oi8achevy
2nd Gear Member

your synchros are worn. get it serviced it will only get worse. may be able to get it done under warranty. ford replaced my entire tranny over the summer when it started making grinding and chunking noises.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:15 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

I still think some of the 1st to 2nd shifting issues at high rpms are due to the remote mounting location of our shifter. The tranny twists under load in relation to the shifter, while the shifter linkage stays put since its mounted to the body of the car. Many have posted improvement after stabilizing the transmission with after-market braces.

The worn synchro makes sense also, but my transmission has always done this since new with both stock and Hurst shifters while shifting quickly from 1st to 2nd at (or just below) redline. Also, this grinding sound has always been absent at 4500 rpm or below, or with just a bit of rpm drop from 5000 or above before shifting 1st to 2nd. (I'm willing as much as the next guy to admit to less than perfect technique, but I'm just saying this is not my first day driving.) Anyway, I've adapted, and the grinding doesn't occur anymore.

Sleeper2
Old 12-12-2007, 09:03 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: sleeper2

I still think some of the 1st to 2nd shifting issues at high rpms are due to the remote mounting location of our shifter. The tranny twists under load in relation to the shifter, while the shifter linkage stays put since its mounted to the body of the car. Many have posted improvement after stabilizing the transmission with after-market braces.

The worn synchro makes sense also, but my transmission has always done this since new with both stock and Hurst shifters while shifting quickly from 1st to 2nd at (or just below) redline. Also, this grinding sound has always been absent at 4500 rpm or below, or with just a bit of rpm drop from 5000 or above before shifting 1st to 2nd. (I'm willing as much as the next guy to admit to less than perfect technique, but I'm just saying this is not my first day driving.) Anyway, I've adapted, and the grinding doesn't occur anymore.

Sleeper2
Yep, che torq limiters and brace

Quick Reply: having trouble with my stang :(