Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AVIC D3 Installation Upcomming...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

Default AVIC D3 Installation Upcomming...

Ok I did alot of research just now and belive I know most of the questions about the detailed aspects of the install but I am unsure on how to START this project... i.e. taking interior panels off and what not. Heres my questions if anyone has a detailed write up of a radio install in a S197 coupe or a D3 install (even better) lemme know.

Before the questions heres a list of the things I have comming... let me know if I need anything else please

- CD-R55 - Pioneer Wireless Remote (#76946): 1
- CD-BTB200 - Pioneer Bluetooth Wireless Adapter (#77081): 1
- AVIC-D3 - Pioneer In-Dash Double-Din DVD/Navigation Receiver System (#76441): 1
- CD-I200 - Pioneer iBus Interface Cable for iPod (#76507): 1

1. How do I get the center console off?
2. What should I be looking at as the main problem points during an install like this?
3. I am have a wire stripper/cutter and a whole slew of 22-18 guage crimp-on butt connectors do I need any other specific extra parts/tools?
4. Anything else I should know???

Well I apriciate the time and hope that someone can help me out. I will be installing next week so no rush but the more info I can get before I start the easier this will be probably.

Thanks a mil,
James

Old 12-15-2007, 06:10 PM
SatinSilverStang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: AVIC D3 Installation Upcomming...

first off, either order or go pickup a haynes manual from autozone/pepboys/etc so the proper way to disassemble your dash is with you. following that installing the radio is very simple provided you have the right tools.

aside from the items you mentioned, you will need the following to install:

1) Wiring harness for either the standard or shaker500/1000, best buy or circuit city sells these

2) a dash kit for a S197

3) Crimp tool, wire stripper/cutter and crimps

4) patience

you'll also need, i believe, a philips screwdriver and a 7mm nut driver

that should be everything you need, your harness should come with a wiring diagram and the haynes takes care of removing the radio steps, took me about 1hr to put this in, we were working kinda slow and it was my first try with a Nav system.

everything else can be found in my AVIC-D3 Answers sticky, i'll post pics of it finished in a bit
Old 12-15-2007, 06:14 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

its very easy, follow some of the tacobill write up and you should be fine
Old 12-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SatinSilverStang

first off, either order or go pickup a haynes manual from autozone/pepboys/etc so the proper way to disassemble your dash is with you. following that installing the radio is very simple provided you have the right tools.

aside from the items you mentioned, you will need the following to install:

1) Wiring harness for either the standard or shaker500/1000, best buy or circuit city sells these

2) a dash kit for a S197

3) Crimp tool, wire stripper/cutter and crimps

4) patience

you'll also need, i believe, a philips screwdriver and a 7mm nut driver

that should be everything you need, your harness should come with a wiring diagram and the haynes takes care of removing the radio steps, took me about 1hr to put this in, we were working kinda slow and it was my first try with a Nav system.

everything else can be found in my AVIC-D3 Answers sticky, i'll post pics of it finished in a bit
I have the stripper/cutter but not the dash kit... is there a store that sells these widely? we have circut city and best buy here trying to call em now.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:26 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

I'm having mine installed on the 5th. A buddy of mine installs sound systems for a living at Best Buy, and he's doing it for $30, pizza, and beer. The beer comes after the install is done. LOL.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

its very easy, follow some of the tacobill write up and you should be fine
yah I read that whole thing a few times now has a few gaps for someone not familiar with the install but the technical stuff specific to that unit doesnt apply to me so I was just testin the waters to see if there was a more specific guide
Old 12-15-2007, 06:39 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

if you have the shaker 500 you also need a 5v voltage regulator I believe, not sure if that is the correct voltage but you do need something to regulate the volts otherwise there will be a loud popping noise when you turn the car on.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

you should do a TB style write-up so that when I do mine I know just how to do it
Old 12-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nonstopred

if you have the shaker 500 you also need a 5v voltage regulator I believe, not sure if that is the correct voltage but you do need something to regulate the volts otherwise there will be a loud popping noise when you turn the car on.
I need to know what kind of regulator or resistor to use and a write up on where to install... I have a soldering iron so thats no problem just lemme know which one if you know
Old 12-15-2007, 09:17 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ortoch

ORIGINAL: nonstopred

I need to know what kind of regulator or resistor to use and a write up on where to install... I have a soldering iron so thats no problem just lemme know which one if you know
Check this link. It shows it on a non Mustang, but it's the identical installation process.....

Mike

http://www.dennisjudd.com/archives/000947.html

Quick Reply: AVIC D3 Installation Upcomming...