Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK CAI

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 04:49 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: BBK CAI

ORIGINAL: Leoleo

I got and no tune, no problems. So NO it does not need a tune.
your havent had a code thrown yet, doesnt mean you wont get one......if you are getting a code, then it aint doing **** for you really either...
Old 12-18-2007, 05:29 PM
jbs07stang
1st Gear Member

I ran the BBK for a week and never got a code. I also ran 87 octane fuel.I was not happy with performance gains at all and ordered a tune from Brenspeed. What a difference it made.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:44 PM
woodygg
1st Gear Member

I did the same as jbs07stang above and with the same results.
I really like the BBK and Brenspeed tune.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:08 AM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat
your havent had a code thrown yet, doesnt mean you wont get one......if you are getting a code, then it aint doing **** for you really either...
Wrong, colder air, hence more/denser air, means more power. Yes it would produce more with a tune, but it does not need a tune. The question is does it NEED a tune. Not do you WHAT a tune. And with the BBK CAI you do not NEED a tune. Maybe only 10 to 15 more hp without a tune, but there is a difference.

Anyone that says you NEED a tune is just trying to sell you something. And you may what that, which is okay.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:22 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Wrong, colder air, hence more/denser air, means more power. Yes it would produce more with a tune, but it does not need a tune. The question is does it NEED a tune. Not do you WHAT a tune. And with the BBK CAI you do not NEED a tune. Maybe only 10 to 15 more hp without a tune, but there is a difference.

Anyone that says you NEED a tune is just trying to sell you something. And you may what that, which is okay.
The ECM will compensate for colder air, thats what a IAT sensor is for. What it will not compensate for is increased volume of air passing the MAF sensor. That's why a tune is needed. If you run an intake such as a; BBK, C&L without no-tune insert, Steeda(all pretty similar), you will be running lean.

If you think tuning is just a gimmick then you don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:01 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

CAIs do not actually provide colder air to get gains......yes it sounds strange but the real benefit is added air flow, i would actually think the stock box provides the same temp if not cooler than a CAI, depending on the design of the CAI

The above post is correct, to get ANY gains that are worth talking about, you have to lean out the a/f ratio for a STOCK tune
Old 12-19-2007, 03:03 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

I was running 87 octane. Yesterday changed bact to stock and went Advance Autoparts to do a scan. I was running lean in banks 1 & 2. I had them clear the code.Its not that I didn't want a tuner and intake just had enough money for an intake. I had thought about an Airaid at one time but changed my mind. Now have to save some money and buy the tuner. Above all lesson learned.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 PM
SkyMaster19
2nd Gear Member

I have a BBK 62mm TB and CAIK. I found a great deal on a Diablo Predator (in the classifieds here) and loaded the 93 octane tune. Big difference. Once loaded NEVER run a load of 87 or you'll be sorrrrry.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

The ECM will compensate for colder air, thats what a IAT sensor is for. What it will not compensate for is increased volume of air passing the MAF sensor. That's why a tune is needed. If you run an intake such as a; BBK, C&L without no-tune insert, Steeda(all pretty similar), you will be running lean.

If you think tuning is just a gimmick then you don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Agree on the Lean statement. That is why I use 93 octane. If I was running lean, I would have pinging. I don't have pinging. I don't NEED a tune. I may what a tune, but I don't NEED a tune.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:04 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I just read through some documentation on BBK's site and they do say that a tune is not required; Brenspeed also says that a tune is not required. I was wrong, I apologized. Looking at pictures of a JLT/C&L compared to the BBK, you can see that the inlet of the intake is much smaller than the JLT or C&L, meaning that it's probably the same diameter as the stock intake thus not requiring a tune.

Quick Reply: BBK CAI