Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are they crazy???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 03:23 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Are they crazy???

ORIGINAL: SCCAGT

The "regular" price was probably what Goodyear lists them for MSRP. And like cars, we all know you can buy them for less than list price. Buying online from Tirerack, discount tire, etc is always cheaper. They dont have the same type of overhead that regular tire and repair shops have.
Like someone else mentioned, buying from a shop near you will eliminate the need for downtime, should a tire develop a defect. It will be taken care of.
I own a shop, and occasionally hear from the real tightwads about how they can go down to the parts store and buy whatever it is they need for less money. "Cool! Do it! I will not warranty it, if it fails." That usually shuts them up or they go buy it themselves and bring it to me. No other shop in my town will install parts that a customer provides. ALL shops make money on parts. Fact of life.
+1

Not to mention it's good to support local businesses especially if the dollar difference is small.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

The "regular" price was probably what Goodyear lists them for MSRP. And like cars, we all know you can buy them for less than list price. Buying online from Tirerack, discount tire, etc is always cheaper. They dont have the same type of overhead that regular tire and repair shops have.
Like someone else mentioned, buying from a shop near you will eliminate the need for downtime, should a tire develop a defect. It will be taken care of.
I own a shop, and occasionally hear from the real tightwads about how they can go down to the parts store and buy whatever it is they need for less money. "Cool! Do it! I will not warranty it, if it fails." That usually shuts them up or they go buy it themselves and bring it to me. No other shop in my town will install parts that a customer provides. ALL shops make money on parts. Fact of life.
I always try to support local businesses, especially with the auto repair. I go to places that I KNOW the people who work there. They know that I'm a gearhead, and they know that I have a LOT of gearhead friends. I'm going to talk well of places that do a good job, and I'm certainly going to trash places that are horrid. And I think that the local shops in the area count a lot on word of mouth advertising, because they're not as big as the chain stores that can afford millions of dollars on advertising...
Old 12-19-2007, 05:00 PM
07RedfireGT
1st Gear Member

I paid $170 each installed for my Goodyear EagleF1 A/S at my local Goodyear
Old 12-19-2007, 05:28 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I was perfectly willing to buy them locally if the guy had told me the price included mounting and balancing. But he didn't.

Instead I paid $630 for them. They wanted me to pay $800 for them. That's a huge difference. I still think the guy didn't look at the right tire. I will still go to them for the mounting and balancing though.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:02 PM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

Exactly.

If you buy tires from a shop, they usually have free stuff involved.......flat repairs, rotate and balance (at least the shop I go to does). Can't get that online.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:22 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

I was perfectly willing to buy them locally if the guy had told me the price included mounting and balancing. But he didn't.

Instead I paid $630 for them. They wanted me to pay $800 for them. That's a huge difference. I still think the guy didn't look at the right tire. I will still go to them for the mounting and balancing though.
I doubt it! When Supercars were $1150 a set Mailorder for a C5 Z06 the local Goodyear wanted $2100 Mounted and Balanced.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:15 AM
LMM1967
1st Gear Member

I know people that will not buy online for many reasons - convienance, how comfortable they are with online purchases, not liking the fact that SOME online businesses have less overhead etc etc.

There are also people that will do anything to save a dollar. MSRP set by many manufacturers will surprise the hell out of many people - we have become accustom to online prices and most timesthe price youare seeing onlineis MAP or jobber pricing. Pre-internet days the jobber price was typically what a shop would pay for an item and then they would mark it up to MSRP, that is how they stayed in business and kept labor rates down. Now we see the shops inability to make a profit on parts driving labor rates up and putting some shops out of business. You also see online parts sellers that are willing to make such a small profit on an item just to make a sale it's almost silly - manufacturers are working pretty hard to make this more and more difficult and many distributors and manufacturers are unwilling to sell product at a good price to onlline only businesses. I would not be suprised to see some of the extremely low pricing that can be found in the internet to eventually go away and become more and more difficult to find - some commonly bought items are being sold daily at such low prices that true sales and group buys are almost impossible to be offered.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:09 AM
bugmenot

tirerack can deliver the tires right to the shop for you, they even show the shops install price. The stock tires for our cars are on TR right now for 80 bucks a piece.