Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does adding CAI/tune make exhaust sound better?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 01:16 PM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

Default How does adding CAI/tune make exhaust sound better?

I have read that adding a CAI/tune combo will make the cars exhaust sound better/louder...How does this work? I am ordering JLT/XCAL soon...thanks
Old 12-19-2007, 01:17 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How does adding CAI/tune make exhaust sound better?

More air coming in the motor and out of it.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:22 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I think that the tune can affect the exhaust note because it will adjust the emissions control parameters allowing more unburnt fuel into the exhaust.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:27 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Actually, most tunes lean out the fuel, making LESS unburnt fuel in the exhaust... The S197 is ridiculously rich from the factory. In fact, alot of tunes also disable alot of the cars ability to dump in extra fuel at WOT to cool the cats and exhaust manifolds.

It boils down to (as was already stated) simply more air in and more air out.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:35 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Better airflow and fuel burning was always my thinking
Old 12-19-2007, 01:41 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

Actually, most tunes lean out the fuel, making LESS unburnt fuel in the exhaust... The S197 is ridiculously rich from the factory. In fact, alot of tunes also disable alot of the cars ability to dump in extra fuel at WOT to cool the cats and exhaust manifolds.

If most aftermarket tunes are leaner than the factory tune, then why is it that most people that I know that have aftermarket tunes have lots of black residue on/around exhaust tips, whereas I (with stock tune) have no black residue. I would think it would be the other way around. Please elaborate. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:58 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: matt07GT

I have read that adding a CAI/tune combo will make the cars exhaust sound better/louder...How does this work? I am ordering JLT/XCAL soon...thanks
Because with a tune, it's harder to keep your foot out of it! I have the Steeda CAI and I'm running Brenspeed 93 tune. Haven't noticed that much difference in the exhaust sound. Might be a little difference, but it's not a night and day thing. The throttle response is, though.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I always assumed that a richer tune would cause black residue around the exhaust tips. Never had a residue with my tuner tune, only after applying the stock SCT 93 tune and disabling the rear 02's did I start to see the residue. I have a good bit of black residue around mine now. Maybe something to do with hi-flow cats??? Someone please clear this up cause I'd love to know.

I'll be revisiting a different tuner (http://www.fastlaneincorporated.com/) for my next tune/s/c install so we'll see.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:04 PM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 300GT

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

If most aftermarket tunes are leaner than the factory tune, then why is it that most people that I know that have aftermarket tunes have lots of black residue on/around exhaust tips, whereas I (with stock tune) have no black residue. I would think it would be the other way around. Please elaborate. Thanks.
Funny, mines the complete opposite. I am still running slighly rich, but the tune knocked it WAY down from stock.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:22 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Isn't it obvious...... when a new tune is installed the little man who sits in the H of the H-pipe and beats on his little drum to make the sound gets more air to breathe and can therefore make better drumbeats. When an X-pipe is installed, there is no comfortable place for the little man to sit. Hence he gets blown out the rear, and the only thing left to hear is the empty Chef Boyardee cans he left tied up in little trash bags hanging in the cross of the X.

Quick Reply: How does adding CAI/tune make exhaust sound better?