Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Problems??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 07:28 PM
havoc
2nd Gear Member

Default Suspension Problems??

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone could chime in on this issue. A little over half a year ago I installed my Tokicos and pro-kit springs. At first I would notice an occasional "knocking" sound when I hit bumps in the road, but in the past month it has become a real annoyance because it now knocks every time I drive. Just sounds like somethings loose. Any thoughts??
Old 12-20-2007, 07:56 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension Problems??

does it only knock when going over bumps

Old 12-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Havoc - how about giving us some more info: is it the front or the back?(probably the front). When you put the D-Specs in did you change the strut mounts or did you re-use the OEM ones? Assuming its the front, the knock is most likely caused by one of the following:

First try torquing the following on each side:
- strut top nut
- strut-to-body nuts (there are 4 per strut)
- strut-to-wheel spindle bolts (2 per strut) These are one time use items - did you replace them during the install?
- stabilizer bar link upper nut

If that doesn't work then probably the next culprit that comes to mind is the strut upper mounts (the upper bearing assembly). Are they the OEM units? If sothey could be worn out and in need of replacement.

If that doesn't work - could be the stabilizer bar end links themselves (they have bushings in them) - replace with aftermarket.

If that doesn't work - could be the control arm bushings.

If that doesn't work - ? don't know.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:23 PM
havoc
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, its just when I go over bumps, and yes it does seem to be coming from just the front. Unfortunately, I DID reuse the stock bolts. You know where can I get some new ones?? If thats the issue I can just reinstall them with the new bolts.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:48 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

One time or another, one place or another, all those threaded fasteners argonaut mentioned have been reported as loosening up and causing "clunks". A couple of the strut-to-spindle nuts on my D-spec installation worked a bit loose even though I had used new parts because of Ford's one-use admonition.

I just installed a Steeda front sway bar; the instructions recommended using LocTiteâ„¢ red on the link bolts. I used LocTiteâ„¢ blue and new nuts. We'll see if that suffices.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:42 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I think I know what you're talking about. It's more of a clunking sound, even on small bumps like going into a garage? The stock upper strut mounts often fail when these cars are lowered. I suggest you get them replaced with Steeda's and use new hardware while you're at it.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:53 PM
oi8achevy
2nd Gear Member

in my shop we see a lot of swaybar bushings and link pins loose or worn make clunking noises, disconnect them and drive around and see if the noise goes away to be sure. also my strut bearings had to be replaced when they started clunking also.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:42 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Mine did they same thing. I put a CHE front K-member brace on it and it fixed it. The front brace is standard on the convertibles, but not on the coupes. OH, hi Hammy!
Old 12-22-2007, 06:31 PM
havoc
2nd Gear Member

Dang, how many people have had the same problem? I'm gonna try a few of these ideas next week. If that don't work then I'll probably just reinstall the whole thing with new bolts. BTW I appreciate all the thoughts.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Black05StangGT
3rd Gear Member

Its the nuts on the endlink which connect the strut to the swaybar...you need to use loctite or they will come loose...mine did the same thing...when the strut mounts fail the clunking comes mostly when turning the streering wheel...not so much driving down the road going over bumps...

Quick Reply: Suspension Problems??