Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHITE STRIPES ON BLACK

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 06:01 AM
mOOse

Default RE: WHITE STRIPES ON BLACK

I have silver stripes and am seriously considering re-striping with white stripes.

I clean, detail my black car very regularly and STILL the silver stripes are becoming stained / dirty looking. For some reason the roof stripes look the worst.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:15 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

Be careful with vinyls that use metallic flakes or metallics in general. They tend to fade quicker over time than regular non metallics such as "white" lmao. White, as far as I have used it where I used to work, lasts the longest, shows up the least amount of swirlies (from washing the car), and doesn't become brittle as quick as other colors and esp. metallic.

Reason why is the pigment they use along with the metallic for some reason, if it isn't a REALLY SUPER GOOD vinyl, will fade. Some come with a clear UV coat, other things mixed in with the vinyl to prevent "drying out" etc. Check out what vinyl you are getting and what the warranty is (5 yr + warranties are pretty good but see what else you can get).

Everything fades over time... Just depends on how well you take care of things will determine that factor. I had some pretty good 3m vinyl lettering on my old PT Cruiser which lasted for about 4 years (in red) until I started to notice it fade around that time in which I stripped it and re-applied another set of the same thing.

I'm pretty sure if you buy from a respectable website, they'd use higher grade material. I'd check to be sure though. For this reason is why I don't ever really buy things off ebay unless they have a shown warranty, something stating what their material is, the brand and finally what grade it is (in years).

*Note* Anything metallic for vinyl will tend to look dirty pretty quick. also some of the darker colors tend to look dirty quicker as well (or show alot more swirl marks).

Something one of our clients a long while back had done to their pro-truck for offroad racing was to get the vinyl laid on top of their panels, then they clear coated over the panels. It gave it an almost painted on look which was pretty cool.

I was even considering getting silver stripes for my white mustang but backed out of it now completely just because looking down the road I knew what I was going to have to do :P lmao
Old 12-21-2007, 07:07 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

not to throw another option out there to make your decision even more difficult, but have you thought about red stripes? imo, red looks killer on a black car [8D]
Old 12-21-2007, 07:18 AM
FenderParrothead
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ink003

not to throw another option out there to make your decision even more difficult, but have you thought about red stripes? imo, red looks killer on a black car [8D]
+1

There's one that hangs out around my area that's painted like that. Looks VERY sweet!!!!
Old 12-21-2007, 01:30 PM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ink003

Yeah i actually have considered that. I think the GT500 with red stripes is really awesome, and i'm goin the cs6 route, so I thought it would look pretty cool. However, i go to GA Tech and our "arch nemisis"or largest rivalry (who i aboslutely despise) is UGA and their colors are RED and BLACK... all my friends would key my car if they saw red and black on it haha

but on a serious note, i'm gathering that WHITE is actually easier to keep clean than other colors? I'm not talking about just dirt getting on them as a car would get dirty, i'm talking about dinginess due to rain or other elements, permanent staining from road dirt or just the air in general, and other permanent things that could discolor them or make them look yellow-ish...

so am i safe with white? haha
Old 12-21-2007, 01:42 PM
daliab

What about black maton black?
I've thought of doing that to my black vert.
Not sure if waxing would be an issue with stripes... especially black mat ones.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:49 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

Painted gold stripes on black FTW
Old 12-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Rustan

+1 if not gold then silver
Old 12-21-2007, 02:24 PM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

haha i think gold on black is a bit too retro for me... i wasn't alive yet when that color scheme came out haha (no offense meant at all to those who were [sm=icon_cheers.gif] hah)

i'm getting mixed reviews here... i have to go the vinyl route for cost and resale purposes, so painted is not an option. but white vinyl or silver vinyl... that is the question...
Old 12-21-2007, 04:12 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mOOse

I have silver stripes and am seriously considering re-striping with white stripes.

I clean, detail my black car very regularly and STILL the silver stripes are becoming stained / dirty looking. For some reason the roof stripes look the worst.
Glad im not the only one. Same exact thing here. The roof is almost BLACK!!! The back of the trunk is perfect but anything that the sun shines on it horrible now!

Quick Reply: WHITE STRIPES ON BLACK