Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyway to retain stock shift knob with hurst shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 11:33 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Default anyway to retain stock shift **** with hurst shifter?

i actually really like the look of the stock shifter,but really want the short shift,is there a way to the stock shifter with some modifications?
Old 12-22-2007, 11:49 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: anyway to retain stock shift **** with hurst shifter?

Not sure if it's possible or not, but I would think that the stock shifter **** would look a little odd on the Hurst chrome stick. If I were going to keep the stock ****, I'd look at an MGW or Steeda.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 300GT

Not sure if it's possible or not, but I would think that the stock shifter **** would look a little odd on the Hurst chrome stick. If I were going to keep the stock ****, I'd look at an MGW or Steeda.
+1. MGW is on my X-mas list and I plan on keeping the stock **** for at least a little bit.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:55 PM
FenderParrothead
2nd Gear Member

+1, all the way.

Besides, the coolest part of the Hurst, IMO, is the white ball!
Old 12-22-2007, 02:01 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

+1000

I have the MGW with the stock ****. You can't even tell it's in there until you actually go to shift.. Looks 100% stock.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:27 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

yeah,i wanted the mgw,but the hurst was cheaper,i really like the stock shifter and boot.id like to figure out a way to reduce the shifter height and re-use the stock **** to make it look more like stock.guess ill have to take a look when it shows up,otherwise i may just send it back.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:48 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Since the threads are differents, you would have to use some kind of helicoys (check spelling on that).
Either that, or can the Hurst handle for a custom one. Not practical.
I did 5.0 handle for a customer (bolts right up to the Hurst small arm), but he used a SVT **** witch is similar to the stockS197.

It was a weird set-up
Old 12-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

The stock shift hand from what I understand is interchangeable with the Hurst. So rather than installing the hurst bar, reinstall the stock one on it. But the Hurst bar is taller than the stock so it would look way funny with the stock shift **** on it.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:04 AM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: one eyed *****

yeah,i wanted the mgw,but the hurst was cheaper,i really like the stock shifter and boot.id like to figure out a way to reduce the shifter height and re-use the stock **** to make it look more like stock.guess ill have to take a look when it shows up,otherwise i may just send it back.
Hurst/FRPP either make a shifter that re-uses the stock shift stick, or they make a different stick that uses the stock shift ****, because I've seen them in people's Mustangs. Maybe it's actually included in the shift kit that comes from FRPP, because I thought it had a black stick and a chrome stick. I don't know the part#, but just ask at the parts counter, they'll know.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:39 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: one eyed *****

http://www.saleen.com/SC101_Services...php?menuId=120

here's another option if you want to keep the stock shifter and just shorten up the throw. A couple of forum members have done this and seem to be satisfied with the results.

Quick Reply: anyway to retain stock shift knob with hurst shifter?