Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof Chip Repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

Default Roof Chip Repair

Long story short, I was following behind a truck on an on-ramp and when I heard a big bang from my roof. Like a dummy, I pulled over to see what the hell it was or if their was any damage (instead of following the guy and getting his plate. Although, I think I would have had a hard time proving that it was his fault.) I have no idea what it could have caused it because we were going probably 20-25 mph and I was maintaining good following distance. Wierd that it hit my roof too and not my bumper or windshield.

Anyway, this is driving me nuts - my attention goes to right away. I'm sure you're familiar with the feeling. I want to get it fixed right. I had a bad fender bender about a year ago and was very pleased with my dealership's repair work. I'd like to take it back there, but would like to get a ballpark figure of what it should cost to get this fixed. I might shop around a bit. I'm figuring that it'll be less than my deductable which is why I'm not considering my insurance covering it.

Thanks as always.

~Fletch~

[IMG]local://upfiles/66427/0AF2536F2B834C1EA980B259476706BF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-30-2007, 11:05 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Roof Chip Repair

I'd use a touch up stick on it right now, you might be surprised how little you'll notice it after that. Most folk won't see it if it's touched up. A shop will only do the same thing unless you specifically ask for the entire roof to be painted which is a little over the top IMHO.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:18 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

You can order touch-up paint from etouchup.com or go to http://www.duplicolor.com/training/SF_training.htmlfor duplicolor's touch-up paint.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:26 AM
ErcWrestlr
2nd Gear Member

X2 on the touchup paint.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

I appreciate the advice. But, I'd rather not do it myself. I'm really concerned about proper adhesion and sealing up the area. I do not want rust problems years down the road.

I'd definitely consider it if it was on a plastic part like a bumper, valence, etc. But on the metal roof? I'll pass.

~Fletch~
Old 12-30-2007, 12:14 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

http://www.langka.com/index.php
Old 12-30-2007, 12:20 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

I had about the same size scratch in the middle of my hood after a dealer visit. They fixed it for free.
They sent it out to a body shop and I saw the bill, $384.00. But it did come out PERFECT. I can't even
tell where the initial scratch was. I aslo asked the body shophow much to fix some minor chips on the
lip of the hood....they wanted another $300 to fix 'em. They said there would have been a lot of "blending"
and that's what takes extra time. They ended up painting over the chips anyways during the process of
fixing the scratch in the hood. But you can still see where the chips were.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:34 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fletch

I appreciate the advice. But, I'd rather not do it myself. I'm really concerned about proper adhesion and sealing up the area. I do not want rust problems years down the road.

I'd definitely consider it if it was on a plastic part like a bumper, valence, etc. But on the metal roof? I'll pass.

~Fletch~
If it didn't go through to the metal then you need not worry about rusting. The new touch-ups kits with clear coat would take care of this and even you would not notice it if done right. If you want a shop to do it I would try to get one that will repair with and airbrush, base and clear (no primer is really needed if it is still showing primer, on a spot this tiny) The thing is in all likely hood you will get other chips and you will feel much better knowing you can repair them. If 5-10 years get the whole care redone. just my .02
Old 12-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

it's so small that it's not that big of a deal. It doesn't look like it caused a dent. Most people can't even see the roof. So I'd say do good touchup paint and then a layer of touchup clearcoat. You're going to get more chips down the road so there's no sense spending several hundred dollars now. Or you could just get a glassback!
Old 12-31-2007, 07:49 AM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Or you could just get a glassback!
I was wondering when I'd hear that one!

Hmm...seems to be a lot of votes for the DIY touchup paint. It's a tough call. I drive the beltway daily in this thing so it's bound to happen again. But, I don't think it'll be any cheaper if I take care of them all at once instead of on a case by case basis. I'm just really concerned about water being able to penetrate my touchup job and causing rust issues down the road.

$380 is doable. Can anyone else share the bottom line on a similar bill?

~Fletch~

Quick Reply: Roof Chip Repair