Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05-08 Hurst Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:11 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 05-08 Hurst Shifter

I like it being taller than stock. I can shift without taking my elbow off the center console now.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:41 PM
hypersurf1
2nd Gear Member

I love the shifter. My car came with it stock. Havent missed a shift yet and the look is sweet.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:50 PM
cefiro80
2nd Gear Member

Drove my friends the other night and I liked the height. It felt a lot more natural that other stang I have driven.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:09 PM
CTE
1st Gear Member

I have had the Hurst shifter for over 20K on my 06 GT, love it. There was a problem with the shifter arm vibrating loose after it was installed, solution was to replace the Hurst screws with through bolts, lock-tite, and then nuts on the end of the bolts, All is covered with the boot.
Also I took some foam padding and cut a piece to fit in the opening under the boot around the base. It helped keep our the noise coming up from the linkage.

I personally like the notched feeling of the different gear positions, a very positive feel to it. But like others have said they have done, see if you can find someone who has it installed and drive it to see it you like the feel. IMO, it should have been stock!

Good luck.

CTE, aka ScubaDog- Happy New year all, it has been a while since I have been on the site.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

Hurst is the best bang for the buck.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:52 AM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

Most people that compare the hurst shifter to others claim the hurst is the worst of them all. I hear great things about MGW and the Steeda Tri Ax shifter. Pro 5.0 is suppost to be right up there as well. If I was you; I would invest your money into one of those. If price is an option and thats why you're looking at hurst (being the cheapest short throw) you might want to consider the Saleen short throw adapter (all over ebay); Seen them sell for 25$. The saleen adapter with some steeda bushing is suppost to be a great setup for the money.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:02 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I have had my hurst in since dec. 26th was my install date. I did it myself and was very easy. I love it!!! Its not going to be smooth like the mgw but hey i bought a mustang not a luxury car i expect my car to have kind of ****ty ride and when i shift i want to have a lil noise n feel to it. But then again thats me. I think im still use to my 04 mach1
Old 01-02-2008, 05:58 AM
Gonzo71
1st Gear Member

I had the Hurst installed about a year ago and really like it. I originally bought it because I liked the way it looked (I'm not a race car driver), but I discovered that I like the "notchy" feel over stock. The only problem that I have had is that it has occasionally been hard to get into reverse. The car is in storage right now, but as soon as I get statesideit is going into the shop for some suspension upgrades and the guy that installed it will be taking a look at it. 29 and a wake up!
Old 01-02-2008, 06:13 AM
davisda1

To start with I love the muscle car looks of the Hurst shifter. I did my research and found a lot of people had problems after the install. I will be honest with you, lot's of people say it only takes an hour to put in. I took my time and it took a couple of hours to put in.
I gathered all my notes and decided to purchase the Hurst.
Once it was in I immediately had no problem shifting into any gear. Yes it is notchy but that is what I expected to have. Yes it is a little stiff but it will break in.
The biggest thing to watch out for with the Hurst shifter is to make sure you install it correctly withthe correct instructions. Hurst shipped mine with incorrect instructions. My research on this forum saved me tons of headaches.
Once in the car I was surprised at how it took away the anticipation of each shift. Now I can just shift the thing, and I don't miss third gear.
Biggest bank for the buck and it looks good.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:52 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

I have had both the Hurst and the Steeda. The Hurst......like shifing through a box of gravel. The Steeda.....smooth and very positive.

Quick Reply: 05-08 Hurst Shifter