Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how many people hear this when getting new mods..

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:55 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Default RE: how many people hear this when getting new mods..

Im only 19 still live at home with the parents and I dont hear nothing like that all. (car and mods in sig.) The only thing i hear everytime i get a new part in or buy something for my car my dad always says dont think your car will ever beat mine cuz it won't lol. My dad has a 04 cobra. He has been moding it since 04 and hasent stopped yet.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:48 AM
d4rb
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07BLACKGT

Oh man, you aren't the only one who hears "that stock exhaust sounds so good"!
That's what my mom says everytime Imention getting borla stingers.
Then my dad chimes in with a nice "Ford fine tuned that exhaust especially for you car."
[:@]
So get the FRPP Stingers. They are made by Borla, but have the Ford stamp on them. Arguement over
Old 01-02-2008, 05:27 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustang3GT07

Im only 19 still live at home with the parents and I dont hear nothing like that all. (car and mods in sig.) The only thing i hear everytime i get a new part in or buy something for my car my dad always says dont think your car will ever beat mine cuz it won't lol. My dad has a 04 cobra. He has been moding it since 04 and hasent stopped yet.
What all is done to your dad's termi?
Old 01-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

It is not just about the mods:

"Are you waxing it again?"
"You spend to much money on that car."
"Why do you want to go to Mustang shows, pick up guys?"
"Who cares where you park it." [&o]
Old 01-02-2008, 07:17 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Never heards it once! And if anyone ever said it......I wasnt listening!
Old 01-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I have a slightly longer view on this . . .

ORIGINAL: Fallout

...so when i told him i wanted to buy a stang he wanted to go with me to the dealership, so he could drive one as well and help me pick out a nice one, he goes on and on about they are "perfect the way they come from the factory" and is always saying "dont go ruining that car" when i talk about mods im considering.

but so far,with the things i have done(grill,splitters,louvers,tint), when he finally see's it the response is always the same "ohhh wow i like that".
I don't think I've ever been told "perfect the way they come from the factory". "Good enough", probably, since both my father and my uncle grew up during the 1930's depression (where DIY'ing wasalmost entirely done with OE and OE-equivalent parts), and they both did much of their own maintenence and repair work. No compliments afterward either, but then again I'm kind of hardcore about my mods providing some sort of performance or driving behavior improvement rather than being appearance or in-car entertainment oriented.

Probably the closest I heard was from a co-worker in another job half a lifetime ago, "Isn't that kind of a red-neck thing to do", in reference to a Pinto that I was modifyiong along a small-bore road-race series theme.

Mostly what I hear now are complaints from my wife about the amount of time that might be involved rather than whatever mod itself. And most recently the suggestion that I try to find a mechanic for some of the tasks (I'm hardcore about DIY'ing as well).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I've also seen this fromthe other side of the street, and I can honestly say that I've never played the "OE is good enough" card on my son. Both of us have always known where the other stands - me on the road-race/autocross side and him being more of a dragstrip and sound-system enthusiast - so it's been easy enough to make the interpretations and understand the different approaches.

But I have provided information that I know has affected some of his decisions. What I've wanted for him is to not end up with a modification that might result in less than OE performance in any way, especially where his personal safety was involved. The one situation that I clearly remember involved wheels with solid center sections. I guess he realized that what I knew about his driving (really fast, quite often) and brake cooling (drum-braked intermediate-class muscle car) just might outweigh the peer pressure to get the then-popular wheel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe the best response is something like "The car dealer sold me a blank canvas. Now I'm doing the art work".

Norm
Old 01-02-2008, 09:17 AM
07MustangGT_girl
2nd Gear Member

Oh brother do I hear this all the time! I graduated college in 06, am 23 and have a good job and totally independant of the parental units. First off, my Dad tells me if I must get a Mustang then to get a V6 automatic because that is the most practical thing to do. But I've already had a couple of those and had my heart set on the GT with a stick. Finally I got the GT 5-speed (would of got it sooner if he woulda just gave me a thumbs up). Now with every mod my dad just shakes his head and says that I don't need to do anything to my car. He is a mechanic himself but anytime I ask him about something mechanical w/ my car he won't even explain anything and says that I don't need to know!! My girlfriend however loves it--even encourages it! She's the best, what can I say.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:21 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fallout

my father is the one who does this to me, he used to own an 05 or 06(cant remember) screaming yellow V6, but it just wasnt practical for him so he traded it in about a year or so later...so when i told him i wanted to buy a stang he wanted to go with me to the dealership, so he could drive one as well and help me pick out a nice one, he goes on and on about they are "perfect the way they come from the factory" and is always saying "dont go ruining that car" when i talk about mods im considering.

but so far,with the things i have done(grill,splitters,louvers,tint), when he finally see's it the response is always the same "ohhh wow i like that".

so i was just wodnering if anyone esle has to deal with the same thing from thier family/friends..always saying not to do anything blah blah, then of course you do it anyway, and they always end up loving it
LOL It seems like IĀ“m listening to my dad in this post hahah ... now he is .. "hey do you think itĀ“ll be a good idea to buy a CaI and tune for my truck?"
Old 01-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07MustangGT_girl

Oh brother do I hear this all the time! I graduated college in 06, am 23 and have a good job and totally independant of the parental units. First off, my Dad tells me if I must get a Mustang then to get a V6 automatic because that is the most practical thing to do. But I've already had a couple of those and had my heart set on the GT with a stick. Finally I got the GT 5-speed (would of got it sooner if he woulda just gave me a thumbs up). Now with every mod my dad just shakes his head and says that I don't need to do anything to my car. He is a mechanic himself but anytime I ask him about something mechanical w/ my car he won't even explain anything and says that I don't need to know!! My girlfriend however loves it--even encourages it! She's the best, what can I say.
There's something about most of your traditional auto mechanics - for the most part they seem to be hard-wired toward keeping the car original (probably because they'll make out better financially working flat-rate when things are left OE). I've seen it while working in a dealership shop. And in my son-in-law (who has since left that profession) All smart enough guys, but with no inclination to do anything that wasn't "by-the-book" unless (in a few cases) it was on their own car. And that's an attitude that doesn't get put away in the box with the impact tools at the end of the day.

Norm
Old 01-02-2008, 09:39 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

My dad is over in the Netherlands, so he has no say what happens. But his money saving ways have rubbed off on me. My dad-inlaw though... He is a car nut as I am. He started: Well, when the warranty is done (which now it is) you can go and chip it, make it a little faster. Slap on an exhaust, make it sound a little better.

If it werent for the fact I vowed to keep it looking bone stock (at least in appearance, I got married in this stang) I would have gotten some CS bumpers, and a shaker hood to start out with.

What I really need is a second 05-08 stang. Or a 71-73 sportsroof with some resto-mod parts to make it handle. One I could sculpt to my hearts content, without running into the barrier I have set for myself. I think I would not forgive myself 10 years down the line if I tune the hell out of the 05. Now the problem is... Getting the cash together for a new vehicle...

Quick Reply: how many people hear this when getting new mods..