Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:46 PM
blueshawk
1st Gear Member

Default Instrument Cluster upgrade

I'm going to upgrade the instrument cluster on my 2007 Mustang GT to the one with message center, etc. I've read all the posts regarding this subject but I want to know if I have it right:

I need the parts:

Instrument Cluster w/ message Center
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...mp;catalogid=2

Memory switch
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...mp;catalogid=2

The dealer needs to:

Install the parts and reprogram.

Have I missed anything like more parts, harnesses, problems to look out for?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2008, 02:20 PM
WPsharpshooter
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Instrument Cluster upgrade

somewhere along the lines that cluster will need to have the miles programmed in it. You will need to sign some kinda paperwork. Im not for sure where you would do that though... The dealer that installs it wouldnt do it unless the cluster is already programmed. I think thats how it works. Im not completly sure on any of it, which is the reason I havent done it yet.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Yes those are the parts. Also if you are changing it out, you might want to get the 5.4l option...
Old 01-03-2008, 02:32 PM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Blueshawk, I did this for my 06 GT. Basically I got mine off of Ebay from ajunkyard. $100. Then the Switch cost me another $50 from the dealer. Come to find out from the dealership that I can't have it programmed. Reason being is Ford contracts to two companies that do this and they will not program it unless you buy it through the dealer, which in turn buys it from them. Its how they make their money. If I went that route they were quoting some where around $600.

What I did was send it to another company in Virginia. I'm having a brain Fart and can't remember the name. I do remember it was $160, + shipping. I downloaded the correct forms from their site, sign it stating I'm not frauding the miles. Provide a recent service invoice "like from the dealer" proving the mileage your requesting is near whats on the car. And in about 5-7 days from deliveryyou should have the new cluster back. So mine all together was about $330. And thats with me installing it. Its so simple I not gonna pay someone 1hr labor when it took 15min.

PM me if you want the companie's name. I still have the paperwork. Bottom line is, its nice to have, at least the extra guages + the info center. But this is onlyworth doing if you can get the cluster for a cheap price.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:40 PM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

I say you go for the SVT one.

Oh and question, do the miles numbers still add up on the cluster (like start at zero and go up?)? I'm not trading in my car, so IDC what the correct mileage is. As long as it goes up and correctly so I can do scheduled oil changes.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:54 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

yes but its illegal not to have to correct miles on the odometer
Old 01-03-2008, 02:57 PM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

It's even illegal if I never plan to trade it in? haha.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:04 PM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

If your car is under warranty I wouldn't even mess with the wrong mileage. Different people will have different opinions on this. I thought about leaving the wrong mileage on the IUP cluster. It was about 10k less than the actual miles.

But then I got to thinking, at some point I'll probably lose track of what the original miles when I swapped and not remember the real miles on my car. That idea kind of bugged me. For $450 a month I better know how many miles are on it.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:26 PM
YellowFlame
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CroDalmatinac

You won't keep it forever.

(Wish I had a dime for every time some kid claims he's gonna keep his car forever...)

Doesn't the engine computer keep track of mileage? (most do) This would trip you up if you cheated...
Old 01-03-2008, 05:01 PM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: YellowFlame

ORIGINAL: CroDalmatinac

You won't keep it forever.

(Wish I had a dime for every time some kid claims he's gonna keep his car forever...)

Doesn't the engine computer keep track of mileage? (most do) This would trip you up if you cheated...
It's my first real car which I invested around $20k in so I think I will keep it. Oh and I'm not trying to cheat anyone if I do ever decide to sell it one day, I'll just tell them that it's the mileage on the speedo, plus 22,500. Pretty simple I guess hah

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster upgrade