Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gains between Mail order tune and dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:15 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gains between Mail order tune and dyno tune

ORIGINAL: rford426

^^then he would make it on the edge and your motor is on the verge of detanation
Well, maybe then you should also ask for the money back if your engine blows up shortly after the tuning session

More seriously, if you have a fairly conservative tune such as those provided by FRPP, then there's probably some room left for an improvement by a tuner (mail or in person). But if you have already a tune from one of the well known mail-order tuners, there's probably not much left to squeeze out.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

I have been told by tuners 5 rwhp or so!
Old 01-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

I'm running Brenspeed's 93 octane tune. I ordered it along with a JLT II CAI by mail and later Brent himself ran it on his dyno. He didn't have to make any changes.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:41 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

With CAI, UDPs, Longtubes + Catted H, 3.73 Gears, I had the following:

Brenspeed 93 Octane Tune (Dynojet):
265 rwhp
267 rwtq

Custom Dyno Tune (Dynojet):
284 rwhp
305 rwtq

It was about ten degrees colder the day of the dyno tune (80 degrees vs 90 degrees).

I had pinging too which I originally thought might have been the Brenspeed tune. I still had it after the dyno tune. Ran some Seafoam through the car and the pinging disappeared, so I think I might have had some carbon build up due to a rich tune.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JGT

With CAI, UDPs, Longtubes + Catted H, 3.73 Gears, I had the following:

Brenspeed 93 Octane Tune (Dynojet):
265 rwhp
267 rwtq

Custom Dyno Tune (Dynojet):
284 rwhp
305 rwtq

It was about ten degrees colder the day of the dyno tune (80 degrees vs 90 degrees).

I had pinging too which I originally thought might have been the Brenspeed tune. I still had it after the dyno tune. Ran some Seafoam through the car and the pinging disappeared, so I think I might have had some carbon build up due to a rich tune.
265 rwhp & 267 rwtq seems kind of low.

With only a Brenspeed 93 Octane tune & CAI I was getting 282 rwhp & 299 rwtq on a Dynojet.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:48 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

with those mods and brenspeed tune those dynos must have been taken in 3rd gear instead of 4th....those are terribly low
Old 01-03-2008, 10:16 AM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

i have no performance mods other then a cai/tune from brenspeed. when i called and asked about them doing a dyno tune he said he'd do one if i wanted but he said it wouldn't make much of a difference.

i'm glad i didn't for 1.5hp!

ORIGINAL: One Bad Stang

here everyone... heres the answer to this thread... and thats about what thedifference is in all of brenspeeds tunes. i watched 3 stangs get dyno'd here in vegas and all with brenspeed tunes except for 1. both brenspeed tunes were 1.3 and 1.6 hp less than the dyno tune. the evoloution performance tune was 2 hp less than the dyno tune. hope this answers a lot of questions.

ORIGINAL: VWILLO

I have Brenspeeds Tunable Inductions CAI & 91 octane tune andlater had them dyno tune my car. I don't know about other tuners, but I know first hand, they test their tunes so well, I didn't notice any difference with my "Butt dyno". 1.5 rwhp was the real gain on the dyno.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:45 PM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

Good, you guys were able to understand me. lol. I really was wondering because I thought my trap speeds seemed kind of low compared to others with the same to less mods. Maybe my mail order tune from VMP is just not to its limits. I'd hateto spend $200+ for maybe 1-2 hp
Old 01-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Redfire if you saw where I corrected mine and your mph to Sea Level Standard Conditionsyou are only 0.5 mph
behind me and Ihave 20 lb less wheel and tire weight (200 lb vs 220lb).

You likely have enough extras on your car tooffset your driver weight advantage.

Local guy here with anJLTII+Bama Race Tune+H-Pipe got 2rwhp + 1 lb-ft torque
from dyno tune.

Warning the following is for NA Engines Only!

Ifits the tune you can see it pretty easily.

Fuel first then timing.
Try adding 2% fuel on top,if it slows take 2% fuel.
Try taking 2 deg timing above 4000 rpm, if it slows add 2.
Fine tune. Run the car with the most fuel and least timing that results in the same trap speeds.
If you get a significant gain from this fine-tuning thetune is off.

If the tune is in the "ballpark" there really isnt enough available in the user adjustable options to
hurt a NA Motor. If you go just a little to much advance or to lean the knock sensor will save you.
I have run cars way faster than these with nothing but a track tune and without the safety net.

PS Dont be suprised if after a dyno tune you try the same experiment and discover the dyno and track
like a little different timing and AFR. This is not unusual.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:08 PM
VWILLO
2nd Gear Member

DON'T FORGET 4.6 engines come from the factory with a 25 bhp variance, so, if your same mods aren't up to someone elses don't fret, if you're not on the strip, you likely won't notice anyway.

Quick Reply: Gains between Mail order tune and dyno tune