Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-Brake Seized Up !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

Default E-Brake Seized Up !!

First major issue with my car... when releasing the emergency brake, the car didn't want to move. So despite the e-brake handle being released back down, the brakes apparently didn't release from my rotors.

Is this a known defect or is this because this morning was the coldest morning of the winter so far (15-20 degrees here in NC)?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:33 AM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: E-Brake Seized Up !!

ISSUE:[/u]
Some 2005-2006 Mustangs built prior to 10/1/2005 may exhibit park brake cables that freeze in cold weather due to water intrusion, and subsequently not release. Under some conditions this could lead to dragging rear brakes. The rear sealing boot on the cable (located at the rear caliper attachment) could deteriorate prematurely which may permit water intrusion. In freezing temperatures this could bind the cable inside the casing, and not allow tension to be released from the caliper

ACTION:[/u]
Inspect the park brake cable and system components. If the rubber sealing boots show signs of deterioration, replace both rear park brake cables

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:34 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

Go read my thread titled, "Is this odd or not". My Stang had the same problem 2 days ago. The cable for the e-brake is most likely stuck because of the cold. We had our coldest day of the year aswell, the temperature here went from mid 50's to low 20's high teens in a matter of 2 days or so. Check underneath the car to see if its stuck or broke, if not just unhook it from the brakes and rehook it somewhere else so it dont drag.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:36 AM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

partsbill you are the MAN... my car was built in June 2005, so yep that's me. Now I have to figure out a way to get it to the dealer to get the warranty service.

Do you think as it warms up this afternoon that the brakes might release?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:39 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Larmo

partsbill you are the MAN... my car was built in June 2005, so yep that's me. Now I have to figure out a way to get it to the dealer to get the warranty service.

Do you think as it warms up this afternoon that the brakes might release?
They might release, but I would get it serviced and fixed anyways at the dealership.

Was this some kind of recall or no? Because I'm just over my 36,000 mile factory warranty.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

I am under warranty, so I should be ok. I just hope it released this afternoon as it warms up. Then I'll drive it straight to the stealership.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:59 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: partsbill

Some 2005-2006 Mustangs built prior to 10/1/2005 may exhibit park brake cables that freeze in cold weather due to water intrusion, and subsequently not release. Under some conditions this could lead to dragging rear brakes. The rear sealing boot on the cable (located at the rear caliper attachment) could deteriorate prematurely which may permit water intrusion. In freezing temperatures this could bind the cable inside the casing, and not allow tension to be released from the caliper

Inspect the park brake cable and system components. If the rubber sealing boots show signs of deterioration, replace both rear park brake cables

WARRANTY STATUS:

My car was built AFTER this date, but still has the problem. Comments / questions?!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:27 AM
dafeesh
1st Gear Member

This happened to me with my 92 Tempo, in 1997. I was in high school and I was like WTF, so I called my dad to come get me at the gas station i fishtailed to through snow. He turned the heat up in the car all the way and jiggled the e-brake every now and again, eventually after about 15 min., it released and I drove home that night. Something similar might work for the mustangs, depending if they can recieve enough heat from the passenger space.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

Its a good thought, but this morning I started the car a good 20 minutes before I tried to leave. I had the heat on full blast while the car was warming up. Then again I am a vert so the ragtop may disappate heat more than a hardtop.

I'm heading home for lunch to play around with it. I will let you guys know what I find. Thank you to everyone for their help. This site is amazing.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:11 AM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

ORIGINAL: partsbill

WARRANTY STATUS:

My car was built AFTER this date, but still has the problem. Comments / questions?!
even if your car was built after it could have the same problem, the updated cables are from 6/5/06, if you stillare under warranty take it in.

Quick Reply: E-Brake Seized Up !!