Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yesterday RX8, Today GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 03:14 AM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Yesterday RX8, Today GT

WOW[sm=Flahssssss.gif]
Old 03-21-2005, 12:03 PM
graphicguy
2nd Gear Member

I'm also going from an RX8 to a Mustang GT. No other reason for the change other than my much loved RX8 getting rear ended by a Dodge RAM....car was totalled.

Thought about getting another RX8, but fell in love with the Mustang GT when a friend of mine bought one and let me drive it.

The RX8 is a great car and the Mustang won't approach how the RX8 handles. Plus, the RX8 has that wonderful rotary sound screaming at the 9K RPM redline. But, the Mustang is faster and more comfortable than the RX8.

Personally, I think the back seat in the RX8 is much better than in the Mustang GT (particularly with how easy it is to get in the back with the RX8's suicide doors). But, I won't be riding back there, so that doesn't matter to me.

The interior of the RX8 is nicer, too.

Can't discount the Mustang V8's sound....it's intoxicating.

I looked at the GTO as a replacement, too. I didn't feel (seat of the pants) that the GTO was any faster. We all know how the GTO looks (blech). I wasn't real fond of how the GTO's interior looked "so busy" or the "mouse fur" on the door panels. GTO's shifter felt heavy and the brakes felt spongy. Loved the seats, though. GTO costs about $5K more ('05) than the Mustang. It wasn't worth it to me. Even if given the choice to pay $25K for a GTO, I'd still take the Mustang GT for no other reason than the styling, both inside and out.

Insurance company gave me $26K for the RX8 (paid $30K for it). I had the RX8 since July in of '03. Thought that was pretty good resale given I drove the RX8 for nearly 20K miles. That was right in line with what I ordered my Mustang GT for.

Both the RX8 and the Mustang GT are great sports cars. They just go about being a sports car in different ways.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:38 PM
mustang mac

I live in Kingwood, just outside of Houston on Hwy59. I could meet you somewhere or even drive to Clear lake. I was down there a couple of weeks ago checking out the U of H campus with my son.

I have plenty of time. I'm semi retired, in between jobs, but not really in a hurry to go back to a 80 hr work weeks.

ORIGINAL: Nickdotcom

I'm in Houston, is this guy anywere near Clear Lake?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:45 PM
mustang mac

I couldnt agree more graphicguy. I loved the 8, just a little to small for my size. I havent even sat in the back seat yet. I'm only saying its more comfortable b/c my daughter usually gets stuck sitting in the back of the RX8 and now the GT. She tells me everytime that she is more comfortable sitting in the GT than the 8. However, she has stated several times that she misses the suicide doors.

ORIGINAL: graphicguy

I'm also going from an RX8 to a Mustang GT. No other reason for the change other than my much loved RX8 getting rear ended by a Dodge RAM....car was totalled.

Thought about getting another RX8, but fell in love with the Mustang GT when a friend of mine bought one and let me drive it.

The RX8 is a great car and the Mustang won't approach how the RX8 handles. Plus, the RX8 has that wonderful rotary sound screaming at the 9K RPM redline. But, the Mustang is faster and more comfortable than the RX8.

Personally, I think the back seat in the RX8 is much better than in the Mustang GT (particularly with how easy it is to get in the back with the RX8's suicide doors). But, I won't be riding back there, so that doesn't matter to me.

The interior of the RX8 is nicer, too.

Can't discount the Mustang V8's sound....it's intoxicating.

I looked at the GTO as a replacement, too. I didn't feel (seat of the pants) that the GTO was any faster. We all know how the GTO looks (blech). I wasn't real fond of how the GTO's interior looked "so busy" or the "mouse fur" on the door panels. GTO's shifter felt heavy and the brakes felt spongy. Loved the seats, though. GTO costs about $5K more ('05) than the Mustang. It wasn't worth it to me.

Insurance company gave me $26K for the RX8 (paid $30K for it). I had the RX8 since July in of '03. Thought that was pretty good resale given I drove the RX8 That was right in line with what I ordered my Mustang GT for.

Both the RX8 and the Mustang GT are great sports cars. They just go about being a sports car in different ways.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:59 PM
badtzmaru
4th Gear Member

Mac, you have a beautiful car. Congrats!
Old 03-21-2005, 11:20 PM
Miata GT

ORIGINAL: graphicguy

Couldn't have put it better myself. I love the RX-8 but like to do my own work and upgrades. the RX-8 is definitely less friendly for that...
Old 03-22-2005, 02:27 AM
blank
2nd Gear Member

geat looking car good change the RX is a nice carbut not mod freindly and i would guess that the RX also cost more to repair
Old 03-22-2005, 03:31 AM
Fatal Vision555

I actually debated this weekend when I bought mine between the 8 and GT but that sound that the GT makes won me over, nice ride by the way, I see your a Mineral Grey fan too.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:36 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

I like both, I owned a very modified R.E.P.U for a while, yes the rotary can be modded $ and they can be very fast.... but it also had huge polution output.
So much so that I had to sell the truck to an out of area guy. My engine was built by a place that was called "rotary engineering" It was a full race version that shouldn't have been on the street but it was fun!
I once smoked a porche so bad that at the next light the guy couldn't stop laughing as he asked me "what the hel* I had in that thing!"
Old 08-25-2005, 10:45 AM
BrookShadow_RC
2nd Gear Member

Mustang Mac,

Did you get this one from the dealer in Humble? I looked at this one for a while before they sold it. After it was gone, I had to order my own.

See you on the road around Kingwood!

Quick Reply: Yesterday RX8, Today GT