Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BiXenon HID install- HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:56 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

Default BiXenon HID install- HELP!

Hey everyone, I just received by 6000k Bi-HID's from RetroSolutions.(I am very impressed with their shipping and packaging).

Doesanyone have any tips or walkthroughs for installation? Pictures? Where to install the ballasts (I think theyre the ballasts, the metal boxes lol). It says use 3M tape in the directions... what do you guys think?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:21 AM
07MustangGT_girl
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: BiXenon HID install- HELP!

Hey Verginastang, I didn't install mine myself but I have some pictures of the install if that helps:

Old 01-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I just mounted mine with screws,to the shock tower on the pass. side, and to the CAI heat shield on the drivers side. One hint, pry the gasket off your original bulbs and put it on the HID bulbs. I know the HIDs have gaskets, but they need the second gasket to really seal. If you don't do this, they will be loose. Don't touch the glass tube on the HID bulbs. When you attach the "ring" part of the bulb to the center part, make sure the little alignment pin (very small) aligns with the groove then the two pieces will go together. then rotate the ring so the little arrow and the word lock line up. The bulb will be snug when you put it in the hole with the second gasket installed, but it will go. Enjoy the results - I love mine.Did you go with 55W or 35W? I went with 35W and am very happy.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:54 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the pics... Its not necessary to take the front bumper off though right? This is going to be a driveway install.

Do I need to worry about cutoff lines, or adjustments when I install the HID's, or will it basically be the same as stock? I'm installing these in the daytime, so I'm just wondering if I should go the extra step of measuring... I'm sure it doesnt hurt?
Old 01-05-2008, 10:06 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

word to the wise,splice into your harness (if it does not have adaptor),do not cut off your existing plugs,you will need them later everytime the ballist dies on you,it will happen so be prepared to put your stock bulbs back in.for mounting of the ballist i velcroed mine to the inside of the fender,out of sight and easy to get to.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:08 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: one eyed *****

word to the wise,splice into your harness (if it does not have adaptor),do not cut off your existing plugs,you will need them later everytime the ballist dies on you,it will happen so be prepared to put your stock bulbs back in.for mounting of the ballist i velcroed mine to the inside of the fender,out of sight and easy to get to.
Which kit do you have?
Old 01-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I didn't touch the adjustments on mine, no problems at all. What year is your car? Does it have the little black "cap" over the end of the bulbs in the center of the reflector? Another hint, the best place to pick up the +12V is in the back of the fuse box on the pass side under the hood. Just follow the + cable from the battery into the box. Just loosen the bolt holding the cable and the ring terminal on the wiring harness will fit over the bolt, then just replace the bolt. Just find some convienient bolts to locate the two ground terminals.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

No splicing needed on the Retro-Solutions kit, pure plug & play.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:33 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Goldenpony

No splicing needed on the Retro-Solutions kit, pure plug & play.
Hey, Goldenpony... do you have some pics of your car with the hood open? I'd like to see how clean the mounting came out. I might do it exactly like you have it. How long did it take you to get the whole thing set up?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

No, I don't have any pics, sorry. I am guessing it took roughly 1 1/2 to 2 hours - I took my time. You will like the results. I have the 6000K kit also, perfect color. I only went with the 35W kit though.

Quick Reply: BiXenon HID install- HELP!