Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finishing Duals on a V6

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

Default Finishing Duals on a V6

I currently have the magnaflow Cat-back dual exhaust, I want to go to a full dual exhaust, what parts will i need and where can i find them? Also can i go straight back or do i have to go through an X or H pipe?
Old 01-05-2008, 04:07 PM
NELS GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Finishing Duals on a V6

I'd imagine you couldnt go straight back becuase of 6 backpressure issues. Otherwise I think most GT setups will do you fine.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:12 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NELS GT

I'd imagine you couldnt go straight back becuase of 6 backpressure issues. Otherwise I think most GT setups will do you fine.
+1. I've also heard a few people say that going straight back on the V6 sounds like ***.

Best to use an H pipe or X pipe and then your choice of GT axlebacks. Check out the 4.0 section, there are lots of topics on the different combos and options you have for converting the 6-banger exhaust to duals.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

Alright, so all I would need is an X or H pipe? Or do i need new pipes for before the X/H pipe? Because i currently have a Y...
Old 01-05-2008, 04:34 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rdot9

Alright, so all I would need is an X or H pipe? Or do i need new pipes for before the X/H pipe? Because i currently have a Y...
You need an X or H and the over-axle pipes (perhaps just the driver's side; I'm not sure if you can keep the passenger side over-axle pipe when you do a dual conversion. I've never heard of it being done that way.)

My V6 is getting duals when the weather warms up, so I bought a JBA stainless H-pipe kit (which includes the H-pipe and both over-axle pipes) and Borla Stingers for it.

And leave the cats on, no off-road pipes for a V6. Sounds like crap.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:40 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: raubt

ORIGINAL: NELS GT

+1. I've also heard a few people say that going straight back on the V6 sounds like ***.

Best to use an H pipe or X pipe and then your choice of GT axlebacks. Check out the 4.0 section, there are lots of topics on the different combos and options you have for converting the 6-banger exhaust to duals.
Yep...i would agree with that.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

ORIGINAL: raubt

ORIGINAL: Rdot9

You need an X or H and the over-axle pipes (perhaps just the driver's side; I'm not sure if you can keep the passenger side over-axle pipe when you do a dual conversion. I've never heard of it being done that way.)

My V6 is getting duals when the weather warms up, so I bought a JBA stainless H-pipe kit (which includes the H-pipe and both over-axle pipes) and Borla Stingers for it.

And leave the cats on, no off-road pipes for a V6. Sounds like crap.
do you have a link to the JBA kit?
Old 01-05-2008, 05:58 PM
oi8achevy
2nd Gear Member

ya you definitly need at least an xpipe. a few guys loacally in my town have true duals and they dont sound good. even the duals with an xpipe are boarder line. i would recommend adding a pair of mid pipe resonators just to help clean up the raspy sound the sixers get with duals. muffler choice is a question of how loud you want to be.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

ORIGINAL: oi8achevy

ya you definitly need at least an xpipe. a few guys loacally in my town have true duals and they dont sound good. even the duals with an xpipe are boarder line. i would recommend adding a pair of mid pipe resonators just to help clean up the raspy sound the sixers get with duals. muffler choice is a question of how loud you want to be.
well, i want it to be as loud as possible
Old 01-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

Could I just get some mid pipes and then an X pipe, i already have the duals coming out the back...

Quick Reply: Finishing Duals on a V6